• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Jumpseat Policy Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK General, that's all I wanted for Christmas, for you to admit that SkyWest's system is better than Delta's.

Yes, you should be able to sit up front on a UA colored aircraft. Just the same, DAL counters should be able to real time verify a UA pilots verification so he can get on at a DAL station, however they cannot. Until powers higher than SkyWest allow it (read UAL/DAL/TSA)however you/UA guy are the back. The argument for SkyWest pilots of all types to ride up front on DAL aircraft is stronger than yours for flying up front on a UA aircraft. To some degree SkyWest pilots fly both sides, getting D pax where they need to go one day and UA the next.
My belief of why you should be in the UA aircraft is not based on your argument, but simply on the belief that any 121 pilot should be able to occupy the actual. If your SAN Captains show up for the actual, and they are not beat out by an Alaska guy or whomever, up front they go. This is just the way it was pre 9/11, at least at SkyWest. The usual qualifiers of employment verification, true adherence to recip agreements, etc.

Russ,

So, did you actually answer my question? And, did you say that any other airline pilot should have preference as long as they show up first? That isn't how we do it at Delta, we have a priority list. You should know that, you guys are on it. Do you want to have first come first serve also on Delta? I would think that you would LIKE to have priority over other airlines. You don't? So, are Delta guys given priority over other pilots from other airlines?

So, once again, tell me (or I win, again) why we should let all of your pilots (every domicile including the IAH based E120s that ONLY serve CO) in our cockpits, when we can't sit in theirs? Answer the question Russ---don't avoid it---it sure looks like you are avoiding the question.

Another quote by Russ:

"My belief of why you should be in the UA aircraft is not based on your argument, but simply on the belief that any 121 pilot should be able to occupy the actual. If your SAN Captains show up for the actual, and they are not beat out by an Alaska guy or whomever, up front they go. This is just the way it was pre 9/11, at least at SkyWest. The usual qualifiers of employment verification, true adherence to recip agreements, etc."

And, another question that would be a bonus if you also answered this one---should Delta have priority over other airlines on certain flights?(DL Connection, then United Express after the United pilots etc...) This could get interesting....... We allow all Skywest pilots in the cockpit along with other DCI carriers, and Skywest guys would get priority in the back also before any other regional besides ASA/Comair. You don't think we should get the same on you guys? Please verify.

Any other Skywest guys out there want to chime in and agree with Russ????

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Poor wording on my part, I was soo excited you admitted defeat. Not really sure why it is you seek my opinion, but here it is. Know that just like you, I am a peon in the larger scheme.

A UA flight from SAN to LAX, the DAL Captain you made mention of as an example. Skywest-UAL-DAL-other in that order.
A Delta connection flight. SkyWest-DAL-UAL-other.

As far as letting ALL SkyWest pilots in the DAL actual regardless of the primary color of their acft...
Thought I answered that. However for your edification, and as I am a gracious winner, I will once more. Any SkyWest pilot can fly in any of the systems. That COEX guy can pick up open time, a reserve down there can be brought up to the UA or DAL system at any time. Its a very junior domicile, many are assigned there as new hires and within a few months are flying your passengers in SLC.

"and bob, the big loser tonight is the General, his consolation prize behind door number one...a four day non commutable trip"

Russ, Russ, Russ,

Poor wording on your part? I caught you in a fib. No, I caught you not thinking correctly---which happens sometimes when debating with me. But let me guess---you are a MASTER DEBATER? Say it five times fast please.

Come on now. Sure, every pilot at Skywest can pick up open time from any base. Ok, that may be the case. That is a great way to get around my point---sorta. But, which Skywest pilots can sit on Continental's cockpit jumpseat? Am I wrong here? I believe IAH E120 pilots are the only ones to be allowed in Continental's cockpit jumpseat, right? Don't they have to have an IAH badge? Am I wrong here? Can SMF or FAT based E120 pilots fly in CO jumpseats? I don't think so........I think I got you on that one.... Why would CO do that? Should Delta do that too?

Now, you really never replied to the fact that we allow every one of your pilots in our jumpseat (that sure is nice of us), and you guys restrict. I would like you to admit that for the record please. That will really make my day---since it would mean that I won, again, pointing out the obvious----that our overall cockpit jumpseat deal is better than yours-----which is restrictive.

That was my whole point here----that even though our Delta jump is restrictive to numbers of pilots that can sit in the back, yours is restrictive to those who can sit in your cockpits---even when ours IS NOT. A double standard and something that should not be overlooked.

What was it that good ole Jim Carrey kept repeating in Ace Ventura? ""LLLooooosssseeerrrr". Sorry Russ---it fits you tonight!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
"debating with me"
Be more like toying with you.

"caught you in a fib"
My six year old fibs, adults tell lies. I have nothing to gain or lose by lying to you.

"MASTER DEBATER"
Close. I have images of Belushi starting to pull his sword out.

"which Skywest pilots can sit on Continental's cockpit jumpseat"
Got me by the short hairs, I dunno, go fish. What's the answer?

"our overall cockpit jumpseat deal is better than yours"
Refer you to your own words: "If I were a SW pilot, I would think your deal is better currently" DAL and SkyWest are a small percentage of the overall pilot population, the vast majority of pilots get a better deal from SkyWest, this by your own admission.

"A double standard and something that should not be overlooked"
I'll get right on that, first thing in the morning.

Play the tune from the Dukes of Hazard backwards and guess what you hear?
LOSER.

Your cutting in to app filling out time.

General,

Can you confirm which planes have 2 jumpseats? Isn't it only the 767 and the 777? What happens if the flight requires a relief crew member, is tha tconsidered occupied?
I'm trying to remember, doesn't the flight have to be 10 hours before a relief pilot is required?

Russ said:
"our overall cockpit jumpseat deal is better than yours"
Refer you to your own words: "If I were a SW pilot, I would think your deal is better currently" DAL and SkyWest are a small percentage of the overall pilot population, the vast majority of pilots get a better deal from SkyWest, this by your own admission.
You're trying to compare cockpit jumpseats with cabin jumpseats. I believe that General Lee concedes you have a better cabin jumpseat arrangement -- he's complaining about your cockpit jumpseat arrangement. (You are familiar with FAR 121.547, right?)

Seriously, guys. Every time I "tune in" to this thread, I feel an urge to yell at my adolescent children and tell them to hush their fussin', only to realize they're not even talkin' - - it's YOU!

I win. No, I win. No you don't, I do. No, I win, again.

Pleeeease. . . :rolleyes:

Russ,

Please read Tony C's message---which is what I have been complaining about the whole time---yet you REFUSE to see it. Your Cockpit Jumpseat procedures SUK. Yes, they do. We allow your pilots in ours regardless of where they are based or which airline they feed------and you do not. That is the crux of this. You cannot seem to comprehend that. Maybe your six year old could.

Tony C,

I am sorry. It seems this is the ONLY way to debate good ole Russ. He needs repetition.

ILS to Mins,

Our 764's (hawaii and plenty of domestic flights out of ATL---to LAS, MCO, FLL, TPA, MIA, LAX, SLC, and even BOS and LGA), our 777s---ATL to MCO, LGW, FRA, NRT, and CDG, and our domestic 767ERs and INTL 767ERs---and the domestic ER's fly a lot to Florida and transcons from California to ATL, JFK, etc. If you pull up the flight on the 767 and it only has business Elite instead of first class---that plane is a domestic ER with 2 cockpit jumpseats.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Russ,

Please read Tony C's message---which is what I have been complaining about the whole time---yet you REFUSE to see it. Your Cockpit Jumpseat procedures SUK. Yes, they do. We allow your pilots in ours regardless of where they are based or which airline they feed------and you do not. That is the crux of this. You cannot seem to comprehend that. Maybe your six year old could.

Tony C,

I am sorry. It seems this is the ONLY way to debate good ole Russ. He needs repetition.

ILS to Mins,

Our 764's (hawaii and plenty of domestic flights out of ATL---to LAS, MCO, FLL, TPA, MIA, LAX, SLC, and even BOS and LGA), our 777s---ATL to MCO, LGW, FRA, NRT, and CDG, and our domestic 767ERs and INTL 767ERs---and the domestic ER's fly a lot to Florida and transcons from California to ATL, JFK, etc. If you pull up the flight on the 767 and it only has business Elite instead of first class---that plane is a domestic ER with 2 cockpit jumpseats.

Bye Bye---General Lee
General Thanks.
I've jsed back from SVO to JFK last time. This time I want to do it both ways. Just to make sure the 767-300ER's going overseas to SVO have 2 JS's, correct? I got on last time, w/out any problems. There was one relief crew member on the flight also. Must be 2 then?

ILS to mins,

Well, on the Domestic ER's there are two jumpseats and no relief pilot, so there would be two jumpseats. On INTL flights, since there is a relief pilot, I believe only one jumps is allowed----but that may not be the case. (I am a domestic 757/767 driver) Also, unless you are a Delta or DCI pilot---you couldn't sit up front anyway on INTL flights---so as long as there was a seat in the back--you would be fine. I don't think many people jumpseat between Moscow and JFK---so I think you would be able to make it. Just check the loads prior to make sure you have a good chance. Have fun.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back