• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta jet slips off runway taxiing in Wisconsin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In my experience, I have seen some pilots who always seem to be in a hurry to turn off, even when there is no compelling reason to do so. Not saying this is the case in this incident, but it reinforces in my mind the need to remain patient and wait for the appropriate turnoff speed.

The official word "slid off the taxiway while taxiing after landing" doesn't seem to jive with their actual position, which is almost directly off the end of the 9000' runway and halfway to the perimeter fence. Seems either they landed long and fast, or they just carried too much speed in the rollout and failed to make the turn at the end.

I don't know why I even bother to read these threads. You know before you click what the results will be. I think it's like looking at an accident on the other side of a road. You know you shouldn't look, but you just can't help yourself!!

box

SouthWest has many true professionals.

That said, there have more than their fair share of very childish people flying their aircraft.

I've been cut off many times when ground told SWA to follow me. I guess it works for them, because they are able to make flights on time.

However, if everyone behaved as they do, taxiways would become a demolition derby. It is the professionalism of other flight crews that keep things safe.

Very clever of those pilots to find a way to exploit the courtesy of others. I'm sure they feel very proud of themselves. Of course, pickpockets and burglars probably high-five each other when they make off with other people's belongings.

Birds of a feather, I suppose.

<cough><cough>bullsh1t<cough><cough>

"Cut off many times" by Southwest, huh? Yeah, right. Whatever you say. Except for the fact that taxiing aircraft are not like cars on the roadway who can do whatever they want when the cops aren't there. At airports, the "cops" are always there, in the form of ground control. If one aircraft disregarded instructions and changed the order that ground control wanted them in, there's consequences. Especially if it's intentional. Especially if it's a disregard of explicit instructions. And most especially if "only the professionalism of other carriers" kept the situation from being a "demolition derby." Your claim might be a little more believable if we all operated at uncontrolled airports, where there was nobody watching who gave a crap about what the taxiing aircraft did.

Let's see,... you started off with a brief nod to Southwest, then rapidly degenerated into a wacky and unbelievable slamfest of all things related to Southwest pilots, finally ending in a comparison of Southwest pilots to pickpockets and burglars....

Oh, wait a sec.....

Snap! I get it now--you're whining about the SLI again! How fiendishly clever of you to work that particular insult into a completely unrelated thread about a completely different airline doing something completely different. Good one! I'm sure ALPA is very proud of you.

Bubba

<cough><cough>bullsh1t<cough><cough>

"Cut off many times" by Southwest, huh? Yeah, right. Whatever you say. Except for the fact that taxiing aircraft are not like cars on the roadway who can do whatever they want when the cops aren't there. At airports, the "cops" are always there, in the form of ground control. If one aircraft disregarded instructions and changed the order that ground control wanted them in, there's consequences. Especially if it's intentional. Especially if it's a disregard of explicit instructions. And most especially if "only the professionalism of other carriers" kept the situation from being a "demolition derby." Your claim might be a little more believable if we all operated at uncontrolled airports, where there was nobody watching who gave a crap about what the taxiing aircraft did.

Let's see,... you started off with a brief nod to Southwest, then rapidly degenerated into a wacky and unbelievable slamfest of all things related to Southwest pilots, finally ending in a comparison of Southwest pilots to pickpockets and burglars....

Oh, wait a sec.....

Snap! I get it now--you're whining about the SLI again! How fiendishly clever of you to work that particular insult into a completely unrelated thread about a completely different airline doing something completely different. Good one! I'm sure ALPA is very proud of you.

Bubba

SLI? No, I don't work for Airtran or SWA. Simply noting that the rest of us don't pull the kind of stunts that SOME of your pilots do, and that I can't ever recall getting cut off by anyone else.

The reference to pickpocketing had more to do with the fact that every time you cut someone off, they burn more fuel (if only a little) rather than taking their rightful place in line. Oh, it is just a few dollars here and there. Like a pickpocket.

I see you decided that was a reference to the SLI. Too funny. I have no personal knowledge of how the SLI really went down, and therefore no real opinion. I'll try not to trigger you by using any words in the future that might make you think I am talking about the, um uh, "that topic". I care.

Anyway, I'm just glad that most pilots refuse to play chicken during taxi. If butting in line makes some people feel like a winner in life, so be it.

Thank goodness for professional courtesy. A foreign concept to a small handful, who manage to be neither professional, nor courteous.

You first, please. I insist.

Really? I hear legacy's constantly decline shortcut routing through the Midwest where I fly. You sure a "little" fuel matters to these guys?

Losing control of an A/C on the ground on ice/snow is a sh1tty feeling! While I did not exit a taxiway, I was very close. Turned the tiller, plane just kept on going straight. Not fun.

Latest resources

Back