• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta is now looking at possible USAir Aquistion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bro, the only payback I want from you guys is for the time wasted watching your dumb people's court SWA TV commercials. So bad.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Ok I take back what I said, you got me. I am sorry. You know you really love the commercials. I do not whish you guys or any one to go through a merger agian. These are interesting times.

Oys, its your turn little buddy if this happens. The AW will get way better seniority over you in a arbitration deal. Remember all that talk of arbitration is fair? Usair fly's big airplanes too. Isn't 3/4 of thier list gone in 10 years. They will have better career expectations than you little buddy.Lol. Arbitration the Alpa way.

Excuse me Tex, but you are bashing ALPA mergers? Really?? a SWAPA/CAPA pilot? I would say the NWA/DAL was a lot better example of how a merger should be handled than anything a carrier from CAPA has done, between SWA , AMR and USAPA, the CAPA airlines are basically the poster children for how not to merge.......

Last edited:
DAL could act as a spoiler in this situation to prevent a LCC/AMR combination that would create another very large, low-cost competitor. AMR is probably less of a threat if it reorganizes on it's own and emerges as a smaller carrier. It's tough to say how much value LCC would bring to DAL but it gets rid of a competitor and prevents the LCC/AMR deal. I would guess that TPG was going to work in combination with LCC so it pretty much stops that combination as well. We should start to see how serious these other players are in the next year.

I'm guessing there are some pretty big pieces of the whole jigsaw puzzle that is going on with this industry that are being played and we don't have a clue. As you said, it will be interesting to see this industry in a couple years. AMR went into C11 with a healthy cash reserve so they would have more control over their destiny. I hope that means they won't be able to dump their pensions into the PBGC and leave the taxpayers with the tab while they play out this jigsaw puzzle. Hawaiian and NWA went C11 without going the PBGC route, AMR should have to reorganize without dumping the pensions on the American taxpayer.

DAL could act as a spoiler in this situation to prevent a LCC/AMR combination that would create another very large, low-cost competitor. AMR is probably less of a threat if it reorganizes on it's own and emerges as a smaller carrier. It's tough to say how much value LCC would bring to DAL but it gets rid of a competitor and prevents the LCC/AMR deal. I would guess that TPG was going to work in combination with LCC so it pretty much stops that combination as well. We should start to see how serious these other players are in the next year.

I think this may be a very big part of the reason for Delta to show an interest in US Airways. I don't think Delta needs US, other than to eliminate a competitor... I think Delta realizes that if US and AMR were to merge, they would then be on equal footing size and cost-wise and a viable competitor against Delta.... I think this move is just to muddy up the water and possibly prevent an AMR/US merger...

To me, it looks like DP wants World Dominance. He wants it all. He may look at his own airline and see the lack of synergies due to the pilots (the FAs just did a joint contract, though), and he may want to divest of the West side and allow the East side to try to merge with AA. I see a lot of GOV'T hurdles with DL and US merging on the East Coast, both with LGA Shuttles, and with CLT/ATL and PHL/DCA/NYC all next to each other. The only thing I see without overlap is the PHX operation, and that could be an addition to DL's hub portfolio I guess, although SLC is just a couple hours North, and LAX 1 hour West. This may indeed be a "muddying" of the water by management.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Excuse me Tex, but you are bashing ALPA mergers? Really?? a SWAPA/CAPA pilot? I would say the NWA/DAL was a lot better example of how a merger should be handled than anything a carrier from CAPA has done, between SWA , AMR and USAPA, the CAPA airlines are basically the poster children for how not to merge.......

Dan- you do know that USAPA is the love child of the poster child for failed mergers, right? Care to fess up which union led that?

Latest resources

Back