• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When looking at the gouge you will notice there are quite a few incorrect answers. You might be better off studying your old copy of a Gleim ATP test guide.

Lots of the answers are incorrect. Has anyone figured out the answer to the one about the bearing pointer going from 5 degrees in front of the wing to 5 degrees behind the wing in 8 minutes? The gouge said there was no answer more than 64 miles, and I think it should be lots more than 64 miles. I copied the gouge stuff into Word and then deleted all the answers. I then went through and figured out what I think are the correct answers. It doesn't look all that tough, but if you go off the gouge answers, you will mess some of them up. Study the topic and know the material and you will feel much more prepared.

It should be lots more than 64 miles. The test you'll take has the greatest answer choice as 64. I came up with something around 300 miles during the interview and when I was studying. I marked 64 and moved on.

Any gouge on how to answer these two Qs?

1. You are on the 090 radial at 20 DME. What heading would you fly to go direct to the 60 DME fix on the 190 redial of the same VOR?

2. You are on the 090 bearing to the station. The wind is 360 at 50. What heading will you need to fly to track inbound to the same VOR on the 270 degree redial from the station?​

Any gouge on how to answer these two Qs?

1. You are on the 090 radial at 20 DME. What heading would you fly to go direct to the 60 DME fix on the 190 redial of the same VOR?

2. You are on the 090 bearing to the station. The wind is 360 at 50. What heading will you need to fly to track inbound to the same VOR on the 270 degree redial from the station?​

1. 220 ish. I do not have a heading card in front of me but that is a quick quess. Pencil methood point to point.

2. Without knowing the aircraft TAS it is not accurate. This would allow you to decide your crab angle. Thus one can only guess the answer would be something less than 090 but likely more than 060.

Drift angle = cross wind component * 60 / TAS

ergo 50 knots cross wind ( full component at 90 deg off heading) * 60 / TAS

assume TAS 300

DA = 50 * 60 / 300 = 20 deg

090 - 20 = 070

Slinky

Exactly. There are some on there that you just need to WAG. Fact is that the Aviation Knowledge test is the least of your worries. There were a lot of wrong answers on the gouge, but remember this. It is a gouge, not the answer key. Delta buys this test from a supplier. The questions have changed a bit since I interviewed a few months ago, but when I interviewed it was the intent that was correct. IE study the question and what it is asking, not the answers. If you know the formulas in the gouge you will do quite well. I had about five questions that were the same from the gouge.
Over all it is not that difficult. If you have a decent amount of flight time and experience it will be no big deal.

Don't worry about the cog. test. It was actually the easiest part of the day. The one that has you list the numbers backward were all single digit numbers. The test that has you rember the key (@=2, ^=7) is repeated a couple times later in the test so rember it. If you play vidio games this test is pretty easy. You have to do different things with both hands at the same time.

The aviation test was 40 questions in 40 min. Most of the questions were from the gouge. Some were the same type of question but with some changes. You just need to read the question and think about it.

If I can answer an specific questions I will try and remember. But if I help you, you had better get hired. That way in some small way I could live vicariously through you.

I've been trying to learn about this process also. From the de-brief's I've heard....

Certainly spend time practicing your answers to questions about "Tell me about a time you helped a customer," "Tell me about a time your leadership failed," "Tell us about yourself." The interview portion is over in a flash (30-45 minutes after a review of your paperwork). With three people on the panel that is only one of two questions from each. You want to ensure you can briefly (2 minute answer) hit your high points and try to score maximum points. While preparing go back through your transcrips all the way back to High School. I forgot that I had been President of a couple clubs, Dean's list in College, etc. All of these examples of success help the candidate look good.

As I understand it (and I'm no expert) Delta uses a very objective process to maintain consistent results on different days with different applicants. This is why some days everyone gets the conditional letter and on other days only a couple get the letter.

My understanding is the Delta interview is like a Type Ride. If they called you, they want you to pass. However, there are several areas where you can make mistakes and deny yourself the opportunity - and - like a Type Ride failure in one section can't be made up by doing well on other portions. You have to meet standards in every section. Even after the interview, you can make errors in the Psychological evaluation, or get hung up on medical issues (FAA Class 1 with a harder hearing and vision test). The whole process is very thorough. But, they are not looking for Chuck Yeager. Like most airlines they are looking for solid, safe, pilots who show up for work on time, nice people and people who can pass training. In fact General Yeager has probably crashed a few too many airplanes to be hired by Delta. :)

Good luck - everyone really is pulling for you and there to see you make it.

It is neat to see what is going on down there on Virginia Avenue.

Last edited:
So fins:
Does this mean that you are trying to become part of the Evil DL pilot empire?

Oh the hypocrisy???
What will you do about all that scope that is harming your fellow regional brothers and sisters!?

Latest resources

Back