Delta Interview Invites are going out!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

klr1395

My wife received one yesterday. She's stoked, I would imagine its in one of the first groups they sent out! Has a class date at US on 10/14 in case it doesn't go well. Progression won't be as fast at DL but IMHO DL offers a lot more stability. Any thoughts from those at either carrier? Please, I respectfully request not to turn this into a mine is bigger than yours flame thread. We are honestly looking for constructive input from all angles.

If I may ask, from what general av category is your wife coming, regional captain, corp, frax, military, etc ?

My wife is in the USMC reserves flying the KC-130 currently, so military background. She has been flying or drilling about 6-8 days per month (we have young kids) so not a ton but enough to stay current. I think she is at a little over 3,000 hrs total time with it all being turbine. She has roughly 2,000 turbine PIC with the vast majority of it in the T-34 (single engine) as an instructor from back in her active duty days. She will turn 40 in May. She has to call Monday morning to schedule the interview so we aren't sure on that yet.

Thanks for the info. Best of luck to your wife !

The 3 guys from my class in flight school who've had the most successful careers were total screw ups. DUI's (plural) assault convictions from a bar brawl, running an aircraft into a parked jetway etc ( and I DO mean etc).

We felt sorry for them going to airlines X, Y and Z while we all paraded off the the 'hot' big 3.

Don't feel sorry for them anymore post 9/11.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. The airline you hire onto today will, most certainly, NOT resemble the one you retire from.

This is not the answer you'd hoped for - but it is the truth.

Best of luck to you both.

johnnyB- some very wise words. I have made my bed, and despite all of its glaring faults coming to light in recent years I will lie in it. It is precisely your words that make us not so quick to write off the USAir option. This profession has a funny way of rewarding those who take a risk with their careers for the current non-trendy pick because it is so darn cyclical. Look at all the folks who risked it and went to SWA in the 80's and early 90's? Huge financial rewards for them (millions in profit sharing accounts and stock options alone). I would imagine that US is the much less trendy pick but they do have some upside, especially with the higher percentage of retirements that are happening now. I am told they are upgrading new hires to E-190 CA in less than two years... At this point my gut says DL but there is enough there to make us give it serious thought. We are blessed to be in this situation where she can potentially take the risk on that non-trendy pick and have not lost sight of that but we always humbly seek wise counsel to try and make the best decisions. We know we aren't necessarily the smartest folks out there ��

Last edited:
johnnyB- some very wise words. I have made my bed, and despite all of its glaring faults coming to light in recent years I will lie in it. It is precisely your words that make us not so quick to write off the USAir option. This profession has a funny way of rewarding those who take a risk with their careers for the current non-trendy pick because it is so darn cyclical. Look at all the folks who risked it and went to SWA in the 80's and early 90's? Huge financial rewards for them (millions in profit sharing accounts and stock options alone). I would imagine that US is the much less trendy pick but they do have some upside, especially with the higher percentage of retirements that are happening now. I am told they are upgrading new hires to E-190 CA in less than two years... At this point my gut says DL but there is enough there to make us give it serious thought. We are blessed to be in this situation where she can potentially take the risk on that non-trendy pick and have not lost sight of that but we always humbly seek wise counsel to try and make the best decisions. We know we aren't necessarily the smartest folks out there ��

Here's something to keep in mind-- if your wife ends up working for Delta, while you work for Southwest, AND you manage to maintain a good marriage.... General Lee's head might just explode.

Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing.... Jes' sayin'!

Bubba

P.S. Good luck to her!

Go to Delta if given the choice. Tremendous upside potential over the next decade over there. Those guys are firing on all cylinders and their Management is leaps and bounds better at running an Airline than any of the other Legacies. I would leave SWA for Delta if I was 5 years younger and lower on the SL, but I just can't make the math work in my favor if I bailed at this point. So, I guess I'm gonna have to ride this one in and hope the other engine doesn't flameout just short of the runway. I would tell your wife to still take the class date at US though until she is officially offered a job at Delta. Good luck to both of you. It's always nice to have choices in this industry.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back