• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta in LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am an NWA pilot who will probably get displaced off the 747-200. If it happens after SOC then I was looking at LAX.

Not really sure what -800 plug means?

Another question for the RDs. After poking around deltanet and looking at your AE, is it safe to assume that those are y'alls old Delta sen.#s not the new #? Also, after a quick glance that each category (ie. atl 7er capt, slc73fo etc) are not in seniority order. How are the guys ranked/listed on the award/displacement??? Is it random, alpha, emp.# or something else?? Thanks

You are looking at the displacement bid. Look at the Category list. It is in order
Yes, they are old numbers due to some IT issue.

I am an NWA pilot who will probably get displaced off the 747-200. If it happens after SOC then I was looking at LAX.

Not really sure what -800 plug means?

We are hearing now that SOC could happen a year from now (Jan, 10), and I would think that if NWA will be parking their 742s "within a year", then a displacement bid on the NWA side would happen prior to that. It sure as heck wouldn't be fair to displace any DL guys when it was your fleet and this was announced prior to SOC. To say that NWA would not have parked the 742s under the same bad economy is wrong, as UPS just parked their own 742s right after the Xmas "Peak." I guess it could be arbitrated.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
We are hearing now that SOC could happen a year from now (Jan, 10), and I would think that if NWA will be parking their 742s "within a year", then a displacement bid on the NWA side would happen prior to that. It sure as heck wouldn't be fair to displace any DL guys when it was your fleet and this was announced prior to SOC.

I see you point, I don't agree but I see it. If it happens after SOC and I got the seniority, then I plan on displacing someone out of LAX.

It sure as heck wouldn't be fair to displace any DL guys when it was your fleet and this was announced prior to SOC.

By that rationale, any fleet announcements prior to SOC should not apply the the opposite side. In other words, all the jobs that will come from increasing the DC9 workload should only be available to NWA pilots. I doubt you would sing that song if the difference was furloughs for the Delta newbies. Soon enough the only jobs available to them will be the DC9, so they can thank their lucky stars they are still here and flying. Otherwise its sofa city.

Last edited:
I see you point, I don't agree but I see it. If it happens after SOC and I got the seniority, then I plan on displacing someone out of LAX.

I got ya. I still don't think it would be fair, and I asked a CP last Friday if our SOC would be completed in April or May, and he asked "which year?" I know they are aiming for it to be sooner to help with synergies, but the FAA doesn't always work so fast. Most of the ANC Captains and FOs are fairly senior from what I remember, and it would be a HUGE displacement bid to have 200 out of the 300 pilots there bump other senior guys around and down. Our latest displacement bid had a conversion timetable through Jan of 10, meaning people might not be converted to a new base or finish training on new equipment until then.

Bye Bye---General Lee

By that rationale, any fleet announcements prior to SOC should not apply the the opposite side. In other words, all the jobs that will come from increasing the DC9 workload should only be available to NWA pilots. I doubt you would sing that same song if the difference was furloughs for the Delta newbies.

We are short on the MD88, hence our large displacement bid. And, if we decided to park a fleet and announced it prior to SOC, then you would be saying the same thing. The arbitrators knew something like this could happen, and we all knew the 742s were on the way out. I don't want them to go either, but unfortunately it has to be fair, and that 742 operation has been doing poorly for awhile. The only reason you kept it for the last couple of years was for the NRT slots. Had you stayed stand alone, you might have found other planes to fill in, while the 742s would have gone away anyway.

FDJ2 printed this about the 74Fs in a different thread about them:

After looking at all the facts, neutral arbitrators stated the following concerning the aging 747F fleet at NWA:

"Questions exist, as well, as to the future of Northwest freighter business both from an equipment standpoint and in terms of the general business outlook. The 747-200 freighters attached to that enterprise are uncompetitive in an increasingly competitive arena for cargo operations and it is unclear to what extent this would have remained a vital operation for NWA.28 Market conditions have changed dramatically since 2005, when demand for air cargo lift was high, particularly on routes from Asia to America.29 NWA has encountered a meaningful drop-off in demand in several of the routes served by NWA.30 Fuel prices have caused the 25-year-old Northwest 747’s to be uneconomic, Chinese carriers are providing more competition and NWA has dropped its daily service to Guangzhou, China.31 . In addition to being less fuel-efficient, the 747’s in the NWA fleet are smaller and have a shorter range than the 747-400’s flown by competitors. 32 The reduction in the freight fleet has been from 14 airplanes down to 10 and block hours have been decreased by 60%.33 As of September of 2008, Northwest has dropped Narita/Bangkok, Singapore/Hong Kong, Narita/Manila, Narita/Taipei, Shanghai/Anchorage, Bangkok/Singapore, and Hong Kong/Manila.34"

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back