• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta in LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question: If furlough means a number at the top of the list at Compass, that is probably a better job than most of the junior pilots on the 737, 88 and 9 have. Anyone proffer the idea that we could bid for displacement to Compass? It seems to make sense to let those would would want to fly left seat of the replacement aircraft to bid it, honoring seniority. Of course that used to be just a NWA deal, now it is a Delta deal too.

Bid to displace to another company?? Furlough and flowback, yes, but not displace to another company.

Secondly, let me tell ya. A junior pilot on any mainline aircraft is probably going to have better QOL than all but the very most senior Compass pilots (I mean top 5-10%). PBS is now in effect at Compass and the average days off for the top third, middle third, and bottom third of pilots is all 12 days a month. Not to mention the work rules (Compass has nearly no downtown layovers...you don't get paid for the day off on a 36 hour layover...3.5 min guarantee and no trip rig/duty rig...etc.) at mainline are far superior as well as pay and the entire mentality and atmosphere.

Quite true. This is short term. I was referring to the long term. As we have discussed and beaten to the pulp, those 9's get mighty expensive to maintain after 2012. That is the time period that should concern the bottom 1000 or so.

You mean the bottom 400. If they furlough anyone hired before 9-1-01, then they have to dump 6 seats from EVERY CR9, E175, etc, costing big bucks in revenue and sweat. Due to relative seniority from the SLI, many FNWA pilots were mixed in with 07 DL hires, thus protecting more pilots in total. I have a feeling SOC will happen before 2012.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
The 40/50 seaters have never been much of a threat to mainline. The 70 & 76 seaters are.

Do you contend the large RJ operations are shrinking? I'll double check, but I thought Compass and Mesaba were growing by more than 50% on an annual basis, SkyWest, Pinnacle, ASA and even Comair saw some large RJ growth. Am I mistaken?

If so, I'll start digging through BTS stats.

Fins, no dog in your specific fight, but the 40/50 seaters are most definitely a threat to mainline. In 2002 hundreds of routes formerly flown by 727s and 737-200s were replaced with CL-200s and E145s. Almost without exception those routes have not gone back to mainline metal. Those of us who lived through this sorry bit of history are most certainly doomed to repeat it if we fail to remember. It's true that an E175 or Crj-900 looks more like a mainline jet with F/C seats, but DCI never hesitated putting smaller jets on runs that were former mainline by the hundreds.

True, unless they decided to furlough before SOC. I am sure that if they decide to they can delay SOC to do so.

Last I looked we were slightly "overstaffed." Its a small margin, and a furlough wouldn't be justified by cost of flowback.

Beat me to it Peanuckle.

We are overstaffed buy such a small margin. How the loads are the next two months will determine if there is a need for further capacity reductions.

Now this is our slowest time of the year.
For example. The flts this weekends to Dallas had 70+ seat open on each flight, but the return flights to ATL on Friday were full. With loads being so hit and miss, it is really hard to forecast future loads.

Latest resources

Back