• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DELTA fact or fiction.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of the RJs that are departing in '08, 15 are Chautauqua 135s. It was agreed to remove the short busses from service when the CHQ/DL contract was reaffirmed in bankruptcy.

No going to layoff any time soon. Hiring 625-1000 in 08.
That is until the mergers are announced.

Could there be mergers? Maybe. But, the main reason we used to have mergers was to reduce capacity so you could raise fares. Today, there are plenty of airlines waiting to fill in the capacity gap, like Jetblue or Virgin America. So, unless there is a very real need to merge, (not the reasons of Gordon Bafoon or other Hedge fund cronies) there may not be any. Even Mike Boyd questions the need for mergers. We'll see I guess.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Strictly rumors according to my buddys at Delta, however they hear that hiring will slow down drastically with the age 65 for the future.

Strictly rumors according to my buddys at Delta, however they hear that hiring will slow down drastically with the age 65 for the future.

Only 60 retirements scheduled in 2008, 66 in 2009. DAL hiring is not due to retirements.

Only 60 retirements scheduled in 2008, 66 in 2009. DAL hiring is not due to retirements.

Are those retirements from the 60 rule, or 65 rule?

Your buddies aren't too smart then. Only 60 retirements scheduled under the age 60 rule and hiring projections of 650 to as high as 1000. Hiring right now is almost all due to international growth. The only thing that will significantly slow hiring at Delta will be a merger or a very large domestic slowdown due to high oil prices and a recession. Both of those are likely so hiring may slow, but it won't be because of the age 65 rule. They will have to hire less, but only about 60-100 less per year for the next 5 years due to retirments. Not a very big immediate hit at Delta like it is at some other airlines.

Your buddies aren't too smart then. Only 60 retirements scheduled under the age 60 rule and hiring projections of 650 to as high as 1000. Hiring right now is almost all due to international growth. The only thing that will significantly slow hiring at Delta will be a merger or a very large domestic slowdown due to high oil prices and a recession. Both of those are likely so hiring may slow, but it won't be because of the age 65 rule. They will have to hire less, but only about 60-100 less per year for the next 5 years due to retirments. Not a very big immediate hit at Delta like it is at some other airlines.
Out of curiosity, what effect will mergers have on hiring? Will it slow, but not stop hiring, or will it result in furloughs? I've seen a few comments, from people, anticipating massive furloughs in 2008-2009, due to mergers. I think something needs to be done, to raise fares, but if merging, thus mass furloughs, is the answer, that isn't the answer I'd be looking for.

Latest resources

Back