• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta eyes Virgin Atlantic swoop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The title is mis-leading. Delta would not be buying Virgin At., they would be buying 49 percent. Due to Euro laws, Delta would not be able to hold controlling interest because they are a foreign entity. Air France/KLM would theoretically hold controlling interest.

The title is mis-leading. Delta would not be buying Virgin At., they would be buying 49 percent. Due to Euro laws, Delta would not be able to hold controlling interest because they are a foreign entity. Air France/KLM would theoretically hold controlling interest.

Wait.... Euro lands bar US from owning more than 49%, yet they are begging US to open up US to foreign ownership???

If DAL buys 49%, AF/KLM buys 25%, and sir Richard is left with 26%, then DAL has controlling interest. Those numbers are completely made up, and I have no idea if the EU would let that happen.

This really is astounding news.

Delta will at the very least setup some tremendous code sharing.

It'll be fun seeing VA possibly come to Atlanta!

So if we did I would assume that it is an ownership and not any sort of merger....ie no combining pilot groups? Own 49% of Virgin.
As owners we could take Virgin America routes and shut them down. no merger?

So if we did I would assume that it is an ownership and not any sort of merger....ie no combining pilot groups? Own 49% of Virgin.
As owners we could take Virgin America routes and shut them down. no merger?

We would be interested in more flying to LHR, we wouldn't get all. And no combing of pilots list, not a merger, far from it. JV and code share and LHR are the biggest gains.

I don't know if I should be indifferent, excited or worried about this news

I would most certainly be concerned, int'l flying could be shifted to Virgin, most certainly their labor costs are lower....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back