• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From Airlineroute.net:

DELTA Expands Los Angeles ? San Francisco Bay Area Operation from Sep 2013

by JL
Update at 0820GMT 10JUN13

DELTA in Fall 2013 continues to expand Los Angeles operation, which sees further expansion of Los Angeles ? San Francisco Bay Area operation. Planned increase starting 03SEP13 as follow.

Los Angeles ? San Francisco Overall service increases from 11 to 14 daily, including the return of hourly shuttle service at every hour on top of the hour*. In addition, all 14 daily flights will be operated by DELTA Connection carrier Compass Airlines? Embraer E175 aircraft.
Don't they already do this thru their code share with Alaska? I think I'd pick the first class seat in a 737 or a SWA coach seat over the "first class" e175 seat. But I'm just a pilot. It'll work great till the first flow control into SFO than it is really just 7 flight because they can just CNX every other flight and combine the 30 passengers onto one rj.

None of that, I just think about all the California haters out there.

Kinda wish that I lived there these days

The reports of California's death have apparently been greatly exaggerated.
Makes me laugh to know how many I fly with criticize and criticize California when California is so damn profitable- and so important to southwest.
Not that they're above criticism by any stretch- I don't run my business there- I've just never been on that particular negative bandwagon

California is "so damn profitable" (and important to SW) for some of the same reasons that people criticize the state: its overall expensiveness. Everything costs more and as a result, employers are forced to pay workers more money for the same job. That, in turn, drives costs up. Or vice versa. Whichever drives whichever; however you want to look at it. At any rate, the sheer number of people moving in and out, and around California require air transportation, and since they have more money than a lot of other Americans, Southwest does very well there. Orange County is a great example--there's never a fare sale there. Those people pay full price every time without blinking, and Southwest (and every other airline) does extremely well there.

I don't think your coworkers want Southwest to stop flying to and from California; I suspect that they criticize it for their personal opinions of its governance. Personally, I LOVE the money that the company makes there; there's just no way I would want to live there. Notwithstanding the huge income tax hit I'd take to move there, every single thing one needs or wants costs more, and is taxed more. Property values are inflated and property taxes are out of sight. Food and clothing are more expensive. Energy is more expensive (Southwest tankers an unbelievable amount of cheaper gas into California for this reason). Taxes and surcharges on utilities, phone service, etc. are higher than elsewhere. California's unique overriding state regulations add a extra layer of bureaucracy and expense to anything that's built, bought, driven, or operated in the state. Since Southwest pays the same no matter where you live, your money goes considerably further in most other places.

Then, of course, you have the "nanny-state" laws that a lot of people object to. Can't do this; must do that--and who's going to pay for it all? Don't even get me started on the confusing, prohibitive, and often contradictory laws on firearms in that state, for those of us who like to shoot. (There's only a few places in the US where it's worse, like Chicago and NYC, where I think it's actually illegal to even think about guns. :) )

On the other hand, they have some absolutely beautiful places, and great weather there. And clearly, there's lots of exciting things to do. Many folks love it for those reasons. I'm glad you like it, Wave, and perhaps you should consider moving back since you miss it. Seriously, that's one of the perks of this job--you can live wherever you want. In your mind, the good points outweigh the bad points.

However, in a lot of other people's minds (including me), the bad points far outweigh the good. Obviously, different things are important to different people, including those pilots that you "laugh at" for criticizing California. But that doesn't make their opinion any less valid than yours. You know?

Bubba

PS Sorry-- didn't mean to get on a "bash California" tangent. Back to the Delta taking over California thread!

Yawn. Time for some new Schtick dude! You pay for training sellout troll!;)

Wait... I thought that Delta was "pay-for-training troll central." At Southwest, I only had to buy an ATP and a type rating to get hired. You Delta guys had to buy an ATP and a four-year degree to get hired. Surely if you needed a degree to fly your planes, then the company should have provided it to you at their expense.... :)

Bubba

It's called DAL narcissism. Someone puts up a post about SWA, a couple DAL folks put up posts that try and deflate the message or make it about them, the General will be on here to defend DAL and the SWA folks will come back with their better and will question why is everyone attacking SWA.
I fixed it for you.

Wait... I only had to buy an ATP and a type rating to get hired.
Bubba

LMAO!
All 6 of my type ratings were PAID for by MY employer! The only buying I do is on the layover. Don't worry Bubba, even for PFT fools like you!:smash:
The funny thing is that all those FAT pilots didn't have to shell out the money for the same job you paid for!;)
Oh the humanity!

LMAO!
All 6 of my type ratings were PAID for by MY employer! The only buying I do is on the layover. Don't worry Bubba, even for PFT fools like you!:smash:
The funny thing is that all those FAT pilots didn't have to shell out the money for the same job you paid for!;)
Oh the humanity!

Nice of you to change my quote! (By deleting a bunch before the period.) YOU had to buy a 4-year degree to get hired; I didn't. YOU had to buy an ATP to get hired; others at other airlines didn't. Why didn't your employer provide your ATP for you when you upgraded as well? So you could be labeled a PFT troll under your "rules"? 'Cause in that light, you are.

Think about it- you had to buy a rating, not required by the FAA for your job (at the time), just so you could get hired! When other airlines didn't require it! They provided it with your type rating when you upgraded. You know, as any "decent" airline should. Sound familiar? Talk about humanity... What kind of crappy, PFT airline are you working for, anyway?

Why, it turns out that you're EXACTLY the same as a Southwest pilot after all... Who knew?

Bubba

Nice of you to change my quote! (By deleting a bunch before the period.) YOU had to buy a 4-year degree to get hired; I didn't. YOU had to buy an ATP to get hired; others at other airlines didn't. Why didn't your employer provide your ATP for you when you upgraded as well? So you could be labeled a PFT troll under your "rules"? 'Cause in that light, you are.

Think about it- you had to buy a rating, not required by the FAA for your job (at the time), just so you could get hired! When other airlines didn't require it! They provided it with your type rating when you upgraded. You know, as any "decent" airline should. Sound familiar? Talk about humanity... What kind of crappy, PFT airline are you working for, anyway?

Why, it turns out that you're EXACTLY the same as a Southwest pilot after all... Who knew?

Bubba

And how does this relate to the 14 daily Compass E175 flights between LAX and SFO? We got some serious thread creep.... Typical for FI I guess!!!! :puke:

Oh well Jrod...

For guys like Bubba, wave etc etc. It lets them vent their frustration that they didn't get hired at Delta.....or overcompensate for having to fly a 737 forever.

It's cute when they bring us chocolate like this past week a pilot and his Stew GF brought us some while pass riding to Germany. How nice....funny, he didn't have a problem with Delta.

If I ever wanted to pass ride on SWA, I probably wouldn't say much either, but who needs to pass ride on em when we go to every city they do....yep even Lubbock according to GL

Latest resources

Back