• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Must not be a good offer then, to offer it to 30k and only hope for 2k.

Unless it comes with that magical clause:

"Leave now with something, or leave later with nothing."

The total number of employees eligible for early out is 30K.
This does not mean that Delta is asking all 30K to bail out. Delta expects 2000 to take it. If more decide to go Delta will try to accommodate.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it astounding that 65% of the employees on the property meet this standard:

"....over 29.5 years Seniority and is at least 52 years old...."

Delta is already transporting Americans in decreasing numbers. That is the beauty of international flying. Delta is selling tickets in Euros to foriegn customers who view travel TO the US as a bargain. When the $ rebounds they will sell tickets in $ to Americans who can travel overseas. The international flights leaving the US are full of return passengers on round trip flights, not originations on a round trip.

Delta is selling in Euros and converting them at 1.5 to the dollar. That helps offset the high oil prices.

This is one of the most retarded explanations I've read in a long time. Ticket price is ticket price. It doesn't matter if you charge Euros, Dollars, Lira or Rupees. 500 Euros or $780 will buy you the same ticket. You make it sound like you're tricking the Europeans into buying a $500 ticket for 500 Euros and then pocketing the difference.

Re-read the article, they are cutting 2000 jobs by offering the severance package to 30,000 employees in hopes that 2000 will take it. They arent cutting 30,000 jobs.:rolleyes:

Those 2000 jobs are admin and management positions. So if 3000 ramp workers took the bait, they would still have to cut 2000 jobs. I believe they need way more than 2000 jobs eliminated.

What an awesome time to be a new hire at Delta.

Age 65, fleet shrinkage, no seniority. :puke:

Well, I started yesterday. Knew about age 65, slow upward movement and the high oil prices being a bad thing all paired with merger prospects before I came.

Not for one second do I regret coming here.

FWIW, they told us in class today that there will likely be 3 more classes (2 April, 1 May) that run before they close the doors on hiring until close to the end of the year. Then (assuming oil doesn't keep rising like it has been), they will have to start hiring again for the 737/777 on order. All of those are still coming.

Well, I started yesterday. Knew about age 65, slow upward movement and the high oil prices being a bad thing all paired with merger prospects before I came.

Not for one second do I regret coming here.

Not trying to be a smartass but how many seconds are there in ONE DAY? Bro you haven't had long to look bad a ponder your decision yet.

Gup

Not trying to be a smartass but how many seconds are there in ONE DAY? Bro you haven't had long to look bad a ponder your decision yet.

Gup

Well, look on the bright side. No Lubbock flying, no intra-Texas bounces, not many 5-6 leg days, and the chance to fly more than one type of plane for the rest of your life, along with route variety. I think he will be happy with his decision. How many seconds do you have to ponder your hunger between 25 minute turns? That would be 1500. And, how many times would you do that in a day? 6 times. Wow. That can make you dizzy I bet. And yeah, you were being a smartazz.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
This is one of the most retarded explanations I've read in a long time. Ticket price is ticket price. It doesn't matter if you charge Euros, Dollars, Lira or Rupees.

Pick up an international finance book on your next layover. You may learn a thing or two. I know I did when I studied it in college.

Delta isn't "tricking" anyone into buying tickets. They have signficant demand for their international flights East of 0 Long. Those customers buy in Euros or other non US currency. A 500 Euro ticket converted to dollars is about $790 today. A month ago that same 500 Euro ticket was $735. Delta just benefited from a $55 fare increase without touching the ticket price. Do you really think they are lowering fares from Europe to the US, so they don't benefit from the declining dollar?

As the weak dollar makes international travel TO the US more appealing, the demand from foreign customers increases. This also decreases the demand for travel FROM the US which has a balancing effect on the overall demand.

Latest resources

Back