• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Delta Cuts Service

701EV

Total Time
a lot
Delta cuts nonstops to six small cities

By By Kelly Yamanouchi
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

As Delta Air Lines shrinks its flight schedule this fall amid the global recession, Atlanta will lose its nonstop flights to several small cities including five in the Midwest and one in New England.

Route cuts taking effect this month include the elimination of nonstops between Atlanta and Peoria, Ill; Lincoln, Neb.; Burlington, Vt.; Sioux Falls, S.D.; Cedar Rapids, Iowa; and Madison, Wis.

The cuts are part of Atlanta-based Delta’s 10 percent flight capacity cut this year, which also includes a number of high-profile international routes.

AirTran Airways, which has its largest hub in Atlanta and is Delta’s biggest competitor for Atlanta fliers, does not fly between Atlanta and any of the U.S. cities being cut from Delta’s nonstop roster.

However, Delta said it will continue to serve the cities with connections through other hubs, such as Detroit, Minneapolis or New York.

Despite the trimming, spokesman Kent Landers said Delta is maintaining the basic scope of its flight schedule from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Landers said Delta will continue to offer roughly 1,000 daily departures to about 220 destinations from Atlanta on peak days, close to levels last year.

The domestic route cuts come on top of Delta’s elimination of international routes from Atlanta to Shanghai; Seoul; Mumbai; and Cape Town, South Africa.

CFI2766

Total Time
They'll be back on the schedule before too long. Just a temporary thing.

SPDBRD747400

World's Favourite Airline
Total Time
mucho
Mesa sucks!!!

JECKEL

God's Own Drunk
Total Time
They'll be back on the schedule before too long. Just a temporary thing.

I would like for this to be true as well ... so please enlighten me. How is it you come to know about this temporary schedule change with these cities?

lookin4better

Total Time
Glory
Tough break

crj567

Shrink your airline into Profitablility!

-Six Sigma!!

-"Synergy!!!"

Abernathy

Truthiness
Total Time
Lots
I'm surprised to see Burlington, VT on the list. Kind of a popular destination. Guess not as much as I thought. Probably just Winter reduction stuff.

whatitdoing?

Are you awake? Good
Total Time
>9500
But I thought Delta was expanding like crazy!!!!????? I'm so confused!!!!

crj567

But I thought Delta was expanding like crazy!!!!????? I'm so confused!!!!

Yeah-

They are expanding all over Africa! The place is a gold mine! (As long as by "gold" you mean endles deserts and grinding poverty.")

PeanuckleCRJ

Hurrrrrrrr
Total Time
mucho
Haven't these cuts already been announced a few months ago?

whatitdoing?

Are you awake? Good
Total Time
>9500
Yeah-

They are expanding all over Africa! The place is a gold mine! (As long as by "gold" you mean endles deserts and grinding poverty.")

I'm just so disappointed that Delta is changing their minds about all this expansion. They've kept their word on so many announcements, this is truly shocking. This is completely out of character.

skypine69

Total Time
Are you serious? Sioux Falls? Cedar Rapids? Lincoln? Peoria? Anywhere in Wisconsin? Who gives a sh!t about any of these places? They are dropping them because nobody goes there! All these places are on my list of crappy overnites (well, LNK was OK, but only during football season when the college chicks got all lubed up and started taking clothes off.)

SpauldingSmails

Aboard the sloop.
Total Time
>7000
There's really nothing shocking about flights to and from certain hubs being cut, the O&D traffic from these cities is most likely not to the hubs.

LNK, FSD, CID and MSN are all truly NWA territory, I'm frankly not surprised at all.