• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Connection Flying - 100 Aircraft Reduction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well then you have my apologies. I see or perceive a vib from ATL Delta pilots that they see a contract pilot as somehow lesser than than themselves. We are all in this together in some form or another. I don't believe there are many who begrudge a move by DALPA to pull some flying back in. Will all of it ever go, doubt it, but some of the options on the table would seem to benefit all of us over this cutting of one another's collective throats.

Additionally, I believe you are misguided on who believe is our voice. Most of us recognize the importance of a brand and its importance to the flying public as they perceive it. From my view point, it looks like a move is afoot to address this and the former issue while giving all of us caught up in the merry-go-round issue of scope a better chance at career regardless of the side of the house you work on. Hopefully for all of our future we can address these issues and move forward with companies that are economically viable and profitable.

We see it the same way.

As for you last:
It I am misguided, then I am glad to hear that. I know who is where in the pecking order. My only question is do they desire to move on? At that level that question needs to be raised by those that vote for their reps. Maybe it does not matter but it did to me.

Once again, not all ATL pilots from DAL are on the same mind. The only difference in you and me is I am here and you are there. I had 10 years there, and enjoyed it. There is a lot that needs fixing, but that is not a pilot issue. That is a corporate issue.

The reasons that I left besides the obvious were simple. I saw the ASA DCI FFD Air Service agreement and knew for a fact that a lot was going to change in the next 10 years. Most of it would not be good. The regional explosion had a good run, but I saw the pendulum swinging the other way.

Good or bad, one thing you guys need to realize is that D-ALPA continually brings in the DCI MEC's to discuss strategy. IMHO, that is one of LM's strongest suits. I may not like the means or some of the ideas, but he understand that to restore the profession it cannot be a mainline exclusive campaign. It take everyone, you, me, them and us.

What I want is a pipe dream, and realize that. I want what you state. A Delta pilot flying every Delta coded flight. I would further like to see all pilots flying Delta passengers brought in to the fold. I know reality would dictate that a pre-nup would have to be agreed to prior to a push for this. I also know that the DCI carriers involved would need to agree on a seniority agreement before it came to mainline to work on the DCI mainline agreement*. I know just how tall of an order that is. (Pref-ALPA carriers only, but that is me)

The only solution is with a unified front, and I know that includes you. It has not worked the other way, has it? Does that clear up my position? :D

**CRJ567, I get tired saying this stuff to you.

I am also a realist and realize that the reality is that the easiest solution is to keep the cost up at DCI in an effort to starve the motivation for said flying. In that process the flying would return to mainline. As many say over here. We have the rates for the jets.

It has also been rumored that Mesaba's 900 rates will be more than those that are in our Current PWA. What do you think that means?

* It has been argued that the SLI of DCI would have to be All WO carriers or all DCI ALPA carriers for it to gain traction, and that we could not do it one by one.

Isn't it written in some airline management book somewhere that it is a good thing for pilots from different groups to not get along?

Whatever those geniuses are doing, it's working.

Isn't it written in some airline management book somewhere that it is a good thing for pilots from different groups to not get along?

Whatever those geniuses are doing, it's working.

We, the mostly BA/BS degreed pilots are playing checkers while the MBA's in airline Mgmt. are playing chess.

Why do we think we can compete?

Generally speaking most of the leaders of our association have advanced degrees.

Also, it is not the degree, but the playing field. The score would be different with a few amendments of the RLA and a time limit on NBM mediated talks.

Wow, what a classic statement. You are a pulitzer prize winner for sure. The parking of 50 seaters could be seen from a mile away. They are a drain on mainline revenue, and are not efficient with higher gas. All of this along with new FAA guidlines for hiring and rest requirements due this Fall will make a lot of Regional airlines obselete and not able to compete. Hopefully that will inturn force legacies and LCCs to hire, and balance will return to this industry. BTW, you are an idiot, and you better get your degree or you will be stuck at a shrinking SKW forever. Enjoy that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Enjoy the next fart you suck put of the seat cushions-toolbox!

1 PAID for DC9 = 124 seats and burns 3-4k lbs an hour.

2 CRJ-200's = 100 seats (if no weight restrictions-unlikely) and burns 3-3.5k lbs an hour

The shift will be back to mainline aircraft and like ACL said, less frequency but with the same number of seats.

btw the DC9s that will be around going forward arent 40 years old, they're around 30 and still going strong ;)

The DC9 is reliable, parts are cheap and Delta can do what it wants with the plane without worry of lease payments. It can be flown as much or as little as they see fit.

I love the 9s, but 3-4k/hour? I doubt it. The CR900 burns that.

It amazes me that the Delta pilots think that if they get rid of the Regional carriers and RJ's that Delta will magically then grow and be wildly profitable! I think exactly the opposite will occur.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised at all that as Age 65 really kicks in, the mainline carriers cope with the massive attrition by migrating to an all widebody/heavy fleet doing transcontinental and transoceanic work, fed by regional carriers. The mainline guys have lost their pensions, and are working for 50 cents on the dollar. The pilots might consider getting rid of scope along with all the MD80s, 737s, and the like. The mainline guys get a pay raise, the pilot group shrinks through natural attrition, regionals grow and get 100 plus seat "regional jets" flown by guys who work for 60% of what it used to cost to run a MD or 737 on the same route.

I'm not saying it is right, and I am not saying it is smart. I am just suggesting it is possible.

[Sorry for offering up nothing really original. I got to the thread late, and didn't read all the way through before posting.]

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back