• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta cancels upcoming interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was 5000 about a month ago, with more coming in all the time. I would guess by the time Delta is doing more hiring, there will many, many more.

Actually, this number is probably fairly accurate. When NWA fired up hiring in 07, they only had around 5k applications, and that was after a similar period of non-hiring in the industry. They made a big deal of that fact in a press release, and all of us who'd been through more than one rodeo kind of chuckled at that, seeing as numbers in the past had been far higher.

It is a far, far different time from 1996-97 when majors had the 12-13k of apps on file. Career paths are far less certain and the mil guys are staying in for the full ride.

Even assuming that a double dip recession is on the way, the FTDT regs are less than a year away...it's going to be an interesting time.

Nu

Completely agree. Getting rid of the Bush tax cuts would decimate any possibility of a recovery. Just say NO!

Weren't those Bush tax cuts on the books during the largest economic collapse since the great depression? How exactly did they help, other than contributing to our growing national deficit?

Last edited:
Weren't those Bush tax cuts on the books during the largest economic collapse since the great depression? How exactly did they help, other than contributing to our growing national deficit?

Did you read the cnbc link above or are you completely retarded? Read it and then get back to the group here. Thanks.

Um.. alright, since you brought up the CNBC link again we will have to derail this thread again. Two views you can take here, cynical or pragmatic. Lets look at both.

Cynical - Deutsche Bank analysts probably take home in the range of 7 figure salaries and bonuses. The vast majority of their clients probably make 500K or more. They have a vested interest in seeing these tax cuts remain so they will make the data work for them. They say as bad as 1.5% but probably more like 1.1% decrease in GDP. So whats the as good as scenario, there is only the bad and the best guess presented. Maybe best case their is a small growth? But that doesn't help their clients invest more money with them.

Pragmatic. Maybe letting the cuts expire does directly affect the GDP slightly. However it does not predict how much consumer confidence might swing when the American people see the government doing something to help address the debt. How much of a gain might we see out of that? Where is that in the analysis.

Lastly, it says the GDP may shrink by 1.1%. Most of this discussion has been about tax revenues, nowhere does it predict how those might change. Even with a decrease in GDP tax revenues may rise significantly.

Oh.. and lets not forget most of these expert analysts predicted that there was no housing bubble and the economy couldn't crash in 09. So take anything they say with a big honking grain of salt.

More importantly.. Baja, you saw someone today going for a Delta interview tomorrow? That would be exciting.

cale

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-march-4-2009/cnbc-financial-advice

(link pretty much shows cnbc is not reliable and has clip after clip after clip of bad advice from CNBC) No sir, I'm not a retard.

(You may have to cut and paste the link into your browser, some lame setting at the daily show site is twitchy, but cutting and pasting into a browser works.... the clip shows CNBC giving horrible finnancial advice, clip after clip.. many people will remember this video, it was pretty shocking)

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-march-4-2009/cnbc-financial-advice

Last edited:
Mods, I apologize for the thread drift- as this all relates to Delta and hiring, I suppose Delta is holding off on hiring more to wait and see what the economy is going to do, because all of the Delta retirements coming up next summer and subsequent summers.

Also, can someone confirm what Baja said, I thought the interviews had stopped.. great news if they're continuing.

From what I can piece together anyone offered an interview after Aug 5, 2010 was offered the option to keep their date and go in a pool if successful, or wait and get called when hiring resumes. These pilots interviewing are the ones that will be done prior to that date.

CALE;
Not that I want to say anything on your posts, but I will admit that your posts are well thought out with reasoned responses. I will not agree or disagree with your premise, but ask one question.

Do you think given where this economy both micro and macro is, next year the correct time to allow any sort of hit to GDP, and or the people and companies that create jobs? Jobs have been and will continue to be the engine that will drive the world economy back to vigor.

They (jobs) have been absent in this "recovery" and it seems to be fizzling. To me it is logical to think that allowing the job makers more latitude to create jobs would be the prudent thing to do .

Latest resources

Back