Delta asked to leave Dallas Love Field

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ky.BrownBourbn

It?s official: City tells a ?disappointed? Delta Air Lines it can no longer fly out of Dallas Love Field
By Robert Wilonsky [email protected]
3:49 pm on September 29, 2014 | Permalink

In 2000, a Delta Connection plane fought with several other airlines -- including the late Legend -- at Dallas Love Field. (Jim Mahoney/Staff photographer)

Since 2008 Delta Air Lines has flown five daily nonstops from Dallas Love Field to Atlanta. That will come to an abrupt end on October 13, the same date the Wright Amendment expires.

Related
Virgin America gets OK to use gates at Dallas Love Field
Feds tell Dallas officials they will 'reject proposal' to give Southwest, Delta the Love Field gates that should be Virgin's
City believes Dallas Love Field's taking the right steps toward becoming a Good Neighbor
In a letter dated Monday, the city?s director of aviation Mark Duebner told airlines officials that ?based on the schedules recently provided, and the Gate Use License Agreement between Southwest Airlines and United Airlines, the City has acknowledged that Delta cannot be accommodated at Dallas Love Field after the expiration of the current sublease with American Airlines.? Delta will be allowed to continue operations in the old Terminal 1 until October 13, when Virgin America assumes control of two American gates in the new terminal.

?Delta is disappointed that the City of Dallas has made the decision to reduce competition and travel options at Dallas Love Field by failing to accommodate our service,? says Delta spokesman Trebor Banstetter. ?Delta remains committed to serving North Texas travelers from D/FW and Love Field airports, and will continue to work with all parties to find a solution.?

Banstetter says the airline was stunned when the city gave Delta its two weeks? notice this afternoon. He says it?s not yet clear how the airline will accommodate passengers who bought tickets from Love to Atlanta on or after October 13, but it?s likely they be redirected to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

Delta has been subleasing two gates American wasn?t using at the city-owned airport. Those are the same gates Southwest and Virgin America were fighting over earlier this year, after American settled with the U.S. Department of Justice by agreeing to turn over those gates to Virgin. After a lot of wrangling and hand-wringing among council members and Dallas City Manager A.C. Gonzalez, the city did as Justice wanted and turned over those gates to Virgin ? but not before Mayor Mike Rawlings called on city staff to find room for all comers at Love Field.

There are 20 gates at the Dallas Love Field, 16 of which are controlled by Southwest. Virgin has two, and United has two.

After the city awarded those the American gates to Virgin, Delta was hoping to find room somewhere ? anywhere ? at the airport, likely at those United gates. There was no guarantee the city would find room, but four months ago Mayor Mike Rawlings called on city staff to find room for all comers at Love Field.

?I?m disappointed on what?s happening on the United gates,? Rawlings said during a council meeting in May. ?They?re not using the landing slots. We have three airlines that want to come in here and do this, and we?ve got to figure out how to make that happen.? The three airlines to which he was referring were Southwest, Virgin and Delta.

Delta had actually hoped to expand its service out of Love Field with the expiration of the Wright Amendment. Banstetter says the airline was hoping to add 18 nonstops to five cities: New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul and two additional flights to Atlanta. Delta was going to upgrade from its current 50-seat planes, part of the Delta Connection regional service, to 117-seat Boeing 717 jets with first-class seating.

A United Airlines spokesperson said the carrier had not seen the letter and was not commenting on it. Messages have been left for Duebner and Gonzalez. We will update if and when they call back.

The city issued a press release Monday afternoon that says United will ?permanently relocate? from Terminal 1 to the main terminal on October 1. For now, says the release, ?Delta Airlines and Seaport will continue to operate out of Terminal 1.?

And just so someone knows, I'm just reporting the Aviation News that I find, don't take it personal but we all know you'll chime in in 3...2...1...

No, I just saw that too. That's honestly crazy, since DL has been operating there for a few years now while leasing gates from AA. It's amazing that the airport authority can't find one gate that can be used by a couple airlines. Hmmm. I guess the 717s slated to go there will find other cities. I wonder if DL will try to fight it? And they gave them 2 weeks notice, right? Nice.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Classy move by Dallas (check that).... SWA

Maybe we can whine to Congress about how we aren't able to compete like some others have done.

It's all about the LUV (or who's in their pocket)

Classy move by Dallas (check that).... SWA

Maybe we can whine to Congress about how we aren't able to compete like some others have done.

It's all about the LUV (or who's in their pocket)

Oh my my my, what a crushing blow to Delta...More excuses for you Delta guys to whine about SWA....So funny how you guys are so obsessed with SWA...

Fair is fair Mercy.....

If it was American or Alaska, I'd be complaining also......save your Delta envy for another board.

Almost 10 years ago to the day Delta reduced flying by 90 percent in DFW. From 254 daily flights to 21 over a 5 month period. Not to mention shutting down the maintenance operations and pilot/FA base. So if I'm the city of Dallas, I'm not exactly bending over backwards to help Delta. Not with two hometown airlines to satisfy and spirit/VA/JetBlue to provide alternatives.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-10-01-swa-dallas_x.htm

Fair is fair Mercy.....

If it was American or Alaska, I'd be complaining also......save your Delta envy for another board.

Oh don't give me the fair is fair garbage....that is funny...

Almost 10 years ago to the day Delta reduced flying by 90 percent in DFW. From 254 daily flights to 21 over a 5 month period. Not to mention shutting down the maintenance operations and pilot/FA base. So if I'm the city of Dallas, I'm not exactly bending over backwards to help Delta. Not with two hometown airlines to satisfy and spirit/VA/JetBlue to provide alternatives.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2004-10-01-swa-dallas_x.htm

10 years ago Southwest flew to 60 cities and Delta was the highest paid pilots in the business. Things change and if the city of Dallas thinks SWA is going to lower fares everywhere outta there....is really living in the past.

C'mon Spirit warriors, you were all crying about competition and whatnot at DCA and LGA years ago....why so quiet?!?!?

Oh don't give me the fair is fair garbage....that is funny...

No, what must have been funny was watching you crash and burn at your Delta interview.

Keep applying.....you can do it!!

Latest resources

Back