• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and Compass Arrangement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cool for those guys, sucks for everyone else. It is kind of interesting that there will be a lot of more qualified guys bypassed at other airlines to allow guys at those companies to flow to their rightful slot at Delta. The life of the charmed.............

Rightful slot, A lot more qualified, Life of the charmed? Compared to what? There is nothing charmed about how most people got to Compass.

Hmm! Follow me on this one, being the Devil's advocate.

Note: The interpretation is based solely on the above language. If there is something more, then the interpretation could change.

The first paragraph starts out with the word "offer." Wonder if Delta starts hiring, and there is no "offer." In other words, it sounds like there is nothing guaranteed, that it has to be "offered." There is nothing in this language that prevents the NWA, now Delta, from hiring from other sources and never hire from this pilot group. It clearly states that there has to be an "offer" under this agreement before the prescribed process has to be followed. It speaks more to the process that will be followed and never provides any guarantees of whether there will be an "offer," or that there are any priorites in hiring Compass pilots over any other pilot.

What the language really deals with is the creation of a methodical process that will take place if there is an "offer." In other words, should an "offer" be made, the process dictates pilot requirements to "qualify" to flow, and how many can flow in a given period of time so as not to deplete the staffing of this company. It is simply a process that "yokes" the pilots and regulates how, and the maximum number that can leave. It speaks nothing to any guarantees or priorites in the Delta hiring or the composite of their class, and how many if any Compass pilots would be in any new hire Delta class. This agreement simply dictates "how," and the maximum number of Compass pilots in a given period of time that can leave IF an "offer" is made. This benefits Compass.

In short, there is no mention to exclusitivity or priority in how NW, now Delta, has to hire in it's classes. Based on the language presented, Delta could hire XX number of classes of pilots and never make an "offer" to hire any Compass pilots under this agreement. Delta, even if bound, could never make an "offer", make one offer of "2", sprinkle a few "offers" here and there, or make "offers" however it chose.

At least in the language presented, there is nothing prescibed that required NWA, now Delta, to follow any required hiring numbers at Compass, in any priority in a Delta class. This agreement simply describes how qualifed pilots will leave in seniority order, and the maximums, not minimum required, allowed over a given period, IF an "offer" is made under this agreement.

The language immediately above the language posted by porpilot. CPZ PWA 22.D.3 if you are following along at home. References to "Northwest Airlines" now refer to "Delta Air Lines" per successorship language.

Compass Airlines pilots will be offered employment at Northwest Airlines before any other Northwest Airlines Affiliate Carrier or new hires from the street directly to Northwest Airlines.

Rightful slot, A lot more qualified, Life of the charmed? Compared to what? There is nothing charmed about how most people got to Compass.

You mean Compass pilots aren't all 23 year old, NWA executive's children with "shiny jet syndrome." I know I took the job because I became bored of racing Daddy's Ferrari's...:rolleyes:

Not saying at all that it was easy to get to Compass. It is eyebrow raising that they will the the vast majority of all Delta newhires in the future. They advertise an automatic 4 year transition to Delta, while many others that have been toiling at other regionals for 8, 10 or more years has no hope of getting in there now. (Unless Delta hires 40 -50 or more a month!)

Not begrudging them their contractual rights. It is just interesting that the last and newest of all the DCI carriers and wholly-owneds gets this preferrential of agreement.

BTW. What is in that agreement for Delta pilots? Is there a flowback to Compass or bunches of furloughed pilots placed there?

Not saying at all that it was easy to get to Compass.

BTW. What is in that agreement for Delta pilots? Is there a flowback to Compass or bunches of furloughed pilots placed there?

And I'm not saying it's hard to get to Compass, just that most people here have either been at their career airline and it shut down, or been furloughed from _______ (fill in any major or regional, and there is probably a representative).

Yeah, there's a flowback, and we still have a few of NWA's furloughed as well.

Oh, and by a lot more qualified, I mean that there are pilots with much more experience at other airlines that have been stuck there since before the 9-11 and economic downturns that haven't been able to move on yet. How can you argue that point when Compass has only been around for a few years? How many years has the most senior pilot on the list been there? And I'm not saying that there are not guys who hired on there that were vastly experienced. But, I personally know of a few FO's from ASA that were hired on there, and will get a chance to go to Delta now long before guys that have been at ASA, Comair, etc.. will ever get a chance to go to Delta.

And I'm not saying it's hard to get to Compass, just that most people here have either been at their career airline and it shut down, or been furloughed from _______ (fill in any major or regional, and there is probably a representative).

Yeah, there's a flowback, and we still have a few of NWA's furloughed as well.

I 100% get what you are saying. I know that there are many, many like that there at Compass, and again - NOT begrudging them their slot to Delta. It just seems a bit tilted way far to one side. But, good for the Compass guys.

The agreement was written by NWA and NWA ALPA before Compass pilots were hired yet. So Compass pilots didn't write themselves an agreement, NWA pilots wrote one that seemed fair to them.

The agreement allows for 20 a month to flow back and 20 a month to flow up. Flow backs get super seniority and some extra longevity versus new hires. Flow ups get to be normal new hires with no special treatment, except their Compass 401k's get vested.

I 100% get what you are saying. I know that there are many, many like that there at Compass, and again - NOT begrudging them their slot to Delta. It just seems a bit tilted way far to one side. But, good for the Compass guys.

Heyas,

ANY of the wholly owned carriers could have stepped up and said "hey, we'll give you a flow back if you give us a flow up".

Had Comair's past actions not so poisoned the well at the DAL mainline, then they may have had a shot. One thing I've learned is the DAL guys have a LONG memory, and they had their bed sh!t in not once, but twice. It sucks you guys are still paying for past mistakes, but oh well.

So does ASA and Skywest have to pay "for the sins of the brother"? Well, in this case, the answer seems to be yes, and they're not wholly owned besides. Skywest isn't even union, let alone ALPA, so why the heck would they get ANY special consideration...at all?

The Compass guys stepped up to the plate. They knew that virtually %100 of their jobs were flowback slots for the mainline, and they could have all been displaced to the street in the course of a year, but they rolled the dice and went there anyway.

Addtionally, for most of their existance have been represented by the NWA/DAL MEC.

The XJ guys have a slightly different arrangement, but for every guy that flows up XJ, mainline guys flow back into the OLD seniority slots (IE at the top).

I didn't see any other outfit that put those kinds of chips on the table.

As for non-DAL carriers, well, that's the shakes.

Nu

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. Thank you Nu. You said that well.

We threw our johnsons on the chopping block, and the knife never came down. Now that it looks as if the flow will go the other way, everyone wants a piece of the action. What a surprise.

Latest resources

Back