• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and college GPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would airlines want to hire pilots with masters degrees? Seems like overkill unless the pilot wants to slither into a management job down the line.

More like why would anyone with a masters degree be dumb enough to want to be an airline pilot?

Not that I am applying to DAL...but does the college matter, if a person goes to a tier 1 school and gets a 2.4 or goes to a tier 2 school and gets a 2.6, do they look at the level of competition that you had?

As for what college teaches you..if you do it per DAL. How to survive with limited love and guidance at an early age, to dedicate to a goal surrounded by more distractions then you will probably ever have to deal with. And to do it with out breaking the law or failing out. I think it shows a lot about a person. Now as for the late bloomers or the people that had to learn the hard way to do it, DAL has the right to ask for X when the pile is to the roof.

As for what college teaches you..if you do it per DAL. How to survive with limited love and guidance at an early age, to dedicate to a goal surrounded by more distractions then you will probably ever have to deal with. And to do it with out breaking the law or failing out. I think it shows a lot about a person.
Again this shows that you assume that only college can do these things for person. We know that is not true. Plus you don't have to do any of those things to be a college grad with all the pay your fee get your B places. But you get to check the box the same as the Mech Engineer grad from MIT. Yes I know the DAL NR people judge by a the possession ofh et degree, I just happen to think they are too narrow minded to see the bigger picture of who a person is.

BTW: The college degree is destroying this country with the growing student load bubble. WSJ says starter home sales are fall because potential buyers are making student loan payment instead of house payments.

I agree, life and experience can and will teach more. But to what standards can that be judged, DAL uses a degree for certain time frame of life. I agree it's not the best judgement or tail of the tape. But until they run low on them, they will keep asking. As for checking a box just to say you have a degree, if you are going to use that then you need to compare the degree to the GPA and the GPA to the tier of the college. Just don't do it to to your wife. Good luck to all.

Complain all you want, the airline sets the standards. Meet the standards and get called, don't meet the standards and don't even get noticed. Especially now that HR is computerized. Your name doesn't get through the filter even with the best rec. It's not an argument of whether a degree is relevant but that you need it to get hired. The situation will change, but right now it is what it is.

I was going to wait it out but decided to finish school. I was military enlisted also and practical experience is invaluable. But the learning experience in college has improved my judgment and decision making skills in the cockpit. I recommend everyone finish school and beyond as you are able.

Taking classes and studying is time better spent than watching tv, playing games and surfing the web, and then coming up with excuses about why you didn't finish school.

Last edited:
Taking classes and studying is time better spent than watching tv, playing games and surfing the web, and then coming up with excuses about why you didn't finish school.

But the learning experience in college has improved my judgment and decision making skills in the cockpit. I recommend everyone finish school and beyond as you are able.

Yep-I think that is something we can all agree on.

Yep-I think that is something we can all agree on.
Nope not all of us, I cannot think of anything I learned in college that made me a better pilot. Now Solid Geometry I will admit made me a better Navigator and I wrote the highest test score ever recorded in Navigator school. But as I pilot nope, college had no connection. And to say that the college degree done on-line with 60 credits for life experience at $100 per credit gives you that decision making process in my humble opinion is far fetched.

Now compared to what I learned going through military training on decision making, taking responsibility, and being accountable for your action. Nothing in college even closely compared to that experience. you can coast through college like Michigan State University with very little effort and still get a degree, you cannot do that in a military training program, they will eat you alive. For the first time in my life I discovered I could do a whole lot more successfully that I ever thought I could. My greatest learning experience in my life was my first five years in the Navy where I made PPC.,

Some of the worst pilots I've ever flown with, who had some of the worst decision making abilities imaginable, were former military. Putting people with a military background up on a pedestal is just as absurd as putting people with a degree up on a pedestal.

The only other line of work where importance of where you went to school, how long it took to graduate (doesn't mean a thing. Life gets in the way sometimes), and whatyour GPA was are at Law firms. Delta is NOT a law firm. Just an airline.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back