Delta Air to Unveil Plans For a Low-Cost

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
csmith,

I guess your post has been answered, much to your chagrin I'm sure....and Delta has more like 550 a/c

Afraid youv'e lost me. The new LCC operation is trivial considering the scope of the mainline operation. Most likely it will produce negligible results.

After months of hype all we get is this ???

Look Out Mainline

It's not really going to take long, probably already has been discussed... take those low paid peons at ASA, and Comair and put them at the helm of those 757's for $22.50/hr(f/o) and $55/hr(cpt) and you guys will be walking the street. Now, this is only an opinion, but it seriously can't be ruled out.

AND THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH... OR AIRLINES, OR WHATEVER...

I AM NOT BASHING ASA OR COMAIR PILOTS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. JUST WISH OUR MAINLINE (US SCARE) HAD ENOUGH IMAGINATION TO GROW THEIR W/O LIKE DELTA HAS.

BLZR,

Well, I do think eventually the Delta pilots will negotiate a new pay rate on the 757 etc for the LCC, but it will probably be tied in with the amount of 757's at the LCC. I believe Delta has about 120 757's. So, maybe they will agree on 60 total 757's (out of 120) to fly at the LCC for a discount rate. Then Delta, if the LCC is successful, maybe will venture off to buy some other plane not in our contract, so they could negotiate other low rates. Starting in 2005 I believe, Delta mainline will start receiving again it's order of 737-800's----so mainline won't be depleted of newer aircraft. At the same time, some of our MD88's and 737-200's will start to be replaced, maybe with new Airbus equipment (Fred Reid is supposedly in favor of Airbus equipment-----since he helped bring them to Lufthansa when he was at the helm there) in the 100 seat range--like the A318. (replacing the 737-200's)
As far as ASA/Comair guys flying the 757's for $22.50 an hour, I really don't think that will happen. Our scope clause is pretty tight about planes over 70 seats and the limitations----hey, our pilots are the only thing from mainline still remaining on the LCC---so it has to be good. The 49% of our flying allowance is alittle misleading. It is not 49%, but 44%. It would go to 49% if our airline was seriously near bankruptcy, and with $5 billion in unencumbered assets remaining and the economy starting to recover, it is highly unlikely, although possible, to ever reach that point. The key with the 44% is that, even though it was more than before, it for awhile there, was unlimited---and now it is capped at 44%. And, atleast for now, the RJ operation is our only really profitable venture, which is helping us as a whole. So, for right now, there will be only 57 70 seaters at DCI, and the mainline guys will fly the LCC 757's at mainline rates (which will probably go down). We'll see what happens.

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool:

Re: Look Out Mainline

blzr said:
It's not really going to take long, probably already has been discussed... take those low paid peons at ASA, and Comair and put them at the helm of those 757's for $22.50/hr(f/o) and $55/hr(cpt) and you guys will be walking the street. Now, this is only an opinion, but it seriously can't be ruled out.

AND THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH... OR AIRLINES, OR WHATEVER...

As a second year ASA FO I make $38.00 per hour. I would not fly a 757 for any less money than my mainline counterparts would. ASA pilots are not whores looking to steal mainline jobs by undercutting their wages on the aircraft they fly.

SLEEPY,

I know you wouldn't, and I was just responding to BLZRD. Most of you guys see the "big picture" and that is good. I hope most of our guys at Delta also tune in to that "big picture" and do what is necessary to get our airline back on the right path. I think the LCC plan is a good one for now, and we'll see how it goes. Atleast management is trying to do something about it.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool:

Did anybody read the date of the original post??

THIS IS THE PRESS RELEASE FOR SONG IN 2002....

Hook, line and sinker.....

Latest resources

Back