• Friendliest aviation community on the web
From a good source, these are the top ten names for the new Delta LCC:

10. Blue Buster Air
9. Air Corndog Buster
8. Mullinair
7. Mini-me Air
6. Air Florida II
5. Braves Airline (for all the fans)
4. Airtrain (maybe someone will think they're on Airtran)
3. Confederate Air (for General Lee, heheh...)
2. Jumbalaya Air (my personal favorite)
and finally how about--
1. Delta Delta Delta (for the greeks, they always had the greatest looking sorority girls)

Anyone else???

First of all, a separate certificate means a number of difficulties, not the least of which is everyone has to be retrained to new manuls etc.

When you say subpar, you mean less than the competition that this whole ruse is to deal with. Why bother at all.

How about "Metro Lite Express Shuttle by Leo"

if that doesn't do it for you, here are some others:

1) "Mullin's Mullets"
2) "Western's Revenge"
3) "If it were that easy, everyone would do it" (by SWA)
4) "Told you so!" (by AirTran)
5) "Crapshoot" (possible call sign)

and, drumroll, please:

6) "Red-eye Pie in the Sky"

I really crack myself up sometimes . . . . . .

Last edited:
Ty and Blue bayou,

Those are good. Confederate Air would absolutely be my first choice :) . Hey, I think this will be interesting. How do you come up with a name? Someone above my pay grade had to make a big decision. It can't be corny, and it has to set an attitude. Here's some more names:

1. Holiday Air
2. Jet Sun
3. Arriba
4. BigjetBlue
5. Skytran
6. Sexyair (with new Fltight Attendants)
7. Force Mejeur Air
8. Whipsaw Air
9. Denny's
10. Vegas Express

I don't know, but supposedly we will hear tomorrow. I am sure Delta will come asking for paycuts, and I think the LCC might need them, as long as they do the same thing for Express, which was add 5 hours extra to fly per month to equal the pay. But, we also need to get some of our furloughs back or stop them totally before we should agree to that. We shall see.

Ty,

Starshipper had a good point about lack of gate space in ATL. Unless you increase your turn times (in ATL, right!), we will be limited on major growth. I don't think your CRJ's are in the B terminal, since it is all Delta. I actually haven't seen your RJ's yet. Maybe there is some room in the E concourse, but I doubt Delta is going to release any gates, and they are all leased from the city anyways---and they love Delta. Starshipper was right about your point to point service. There are plenty of opportunities outside of ATL----like BWI and MCO to FLint etc., and soon you may see some of our LCC 757's doing point to point service also, but I doubt Flint----you can have it. And, I hope you do get 737-800's------nice plane, and a very smooth ride.

Bye Bye-----General Lee:cool:

General Lee:

Glad to see that you have a sense of humor. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. It sounds like it will get some of your guys back to work- hope so. It is terrible to be out of work- hopefully, it will be some good holiday news for some people.

The RJ's are out of the concourse that is on the east side of Ramp 4, I guess that would be "D" concourse? Not sure, I get lost easy, that's why they won;t give me the tiller yet.

I agree, point-to-point is the way to go. More and more pax tell me that they insist on traveling non-stop and that it is a key factor for them.

I guess the announcement is tomorrow- let's put some lipstick on this pig and see what happens . . . . . .

mailman,

I have not heard any rumors about DCI flying more 70 seaters or 90 seaters (Dalpa has NOT agreed to allow anymore than 57 70 seaters, and there is no provision allowing them to fly anything over 70 seats (57 is the limit)---which means they would not fly the 90 seaters or A319's or whatever they get. The increase in block percentages is good for them,(It goes from 36% to 44% of our flying total-----with a possible increase to 49% if things got a lot worse---I'm mean really bad---not there yet) but really increases their 50 seaters.(That is good for our hub feed)
The LCC, whatever the name, will be flying mainly East Coast north and south routes, and some West Coast stuff (probably LAS
and SoCal). Unlikely RJ's will be on them---primarily because of distance (transcons) and going up against Jetblue and their entertainment systems to keep PAX happy---our 757's will have free movies supposedly. Don't get me wrong---our RJ's are doing a great job keeping market share out of LGA (Comair flies RJ's to BHM, JAX, SAV, etc) and ASA and Comair out of DCA (To FLL, PBI, etc.), which I think is valuable. Unless they want to do LCC service on short haul markets, I don't think they will go there, yet.

Ty,

Yeah, I have a sense of humor. I am just a guy who wants his airline to succeed. I watch the news, am on the net, and pay attention when people talk and give rumors. I do not intentionally bash other pilots, and respect everyone who flies, even traffic watch. I feel lucky to fly for Delta, and I think there are a lot of other airlines, like Airtran, that are good companies to work for. I hope our LCC is a success, and hope that every airline gets through these tough times and all of our furloughs get back in the cockpit.

Point to point flying will become more and more important as time goes on, and the LCC model will grow. United is thinking about reviving the Shuttle by United, but Delta saw this first and is trying to grab a chunk of the pie. I hope it works, and I am sure there are enough cities out there, like BWI for you, that will embrace a LCC and some mainline ones.

Bye Bye--General Lee:)

Mailman,

Well, sort of, but not really. The mainline guys will will still be flying the 757's at the current pay rate, and their trips will supposedly start mainline from their base, maybe overnight in MCO, then pickup a LCC trip from there to BOS or whereever, return to MCO, then the next day fly another mainline plane etc.... The pay rates might come down for the LCC, but on the flip side, when the 737-200's leave Delta Express and go to mainline in CVG, those rates will return to mainline rate, so there is a flip flop for the pilots. A lot of the senior 757/767 FO's have been bidding 737-200 Capt in CVG because the pay is better.

Ok, my response to the "big" new announcement on the LCC. I was dissapointed. I wanted more info. I can't believe they are waiting until Feb. for the new name. Frustrating. Maybe they do not know it yet. But, it sounds like they are initially going after JetBlue on the east coast, and in someways Southwest. Apparently there will be 36 757's in 199 seat layout. The only cities Fred Reid gave out were NYC, BOS, MCO, and FLL---but there will be obviously more. Someone did tell me that they would venture west, maybe from those cities, to cities like SNA, OAK, and maybe LAS---but that was not confirmed. The planes would be flown more than mainline----from 10.7 hrs a day to 13.2 hours-----so I don't know if allnighters are immediately a part ot the process. There will be a lot of Kiosks to buy tickets, and the local advertising budget will be big (thanks to furloughed employees). I do think they want this for the long term, and they realize that if they want a portion of the Low Cost market, they are going to have to start now. A great company can adapt to changing marketplaces, and I think Delta is attempting to get a share. Will that dilute it's current brand? I don't think so, Delta has a large brand loyalty to it's International markets----in Europe and South America/Carribean especially. The Delta Shuttle does well in LGA/BOS/DCA flights, and our DCI has the most RJ's. ATL is the strongest hub in the world, with many mainline flights and RJ's feeding more widebodies to Florida and beyond, allowing cities too small for LCC's to have service to the world. I think overall we have a good focus, and hopefully our new LCC, whatever the name, will help with future profitability.
But, I am dissapointed with the announcement.

Bye Bye----General lee;)

well, I just got some more info. The turn times will be "thirty minutes faster" than the current mainline 757 turn of 80 mins, so they will be 50 mins. With 13.2 hours of flying per day, maybe they will do allnighters because of the 50 min turn time between flights. I guess the technology side of this LCC will be great also. New voice activated phone messages for over the phone purchases of tickets (real human touch), and 4 flight attendants instead of 5 on a normal 757. Well, all I can say is that they are saving money and becoming leaner, and supposedly there might be in-seat entertainment, which will distract the passengers.
It might just work.......?

Bye Bye---General Lee:eek:

rjcap said:
Here's one to get your brain spinning.

Any possibility the LCC is really a sideshow to get the Delta MEC too sign off on raising the DCI block hour limits from 32% to 49% ??

I beleive Delta has something like 350 a/c. Is 30-40 757's allocated to the LCC really a big deal. Also consider it will take months and months to get this new LCC up and running.

I guess your post has been answered, much to your chagrin I'm sure....and Delta has more like 550 a/c

Latest resources

Back