• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta AE is out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That problem is solved with separate bid catagories for reserve and block. Which is nice, you always know what you'll get.

I totally disagree. Having the flexibilty to bid reserve one month and a regular line the next is a great deal. I use it all the time. If you live in base and don't need the money, have another business, the trips suck, I don't feel like working, etc you can bid reserve and maybe free up a regular line for a junior guy who commutes or whatever. I lived under the NW system and I'd never trade the one DL has now for the block/reserve category system. Now we could work on the reserve system here but that's another story.

Last edited:
You probably have some good insight on both systems. I guess my only concern would be being junior on an aircraft and then falling off to reserve. For example, I commute but I would like to fly the B767ER out of SEA. I will probably be junior and I would rather fall off onto a position where I can hold a schedule vs. falling off onto reserve. All this is probably irrelevant anyway, since we are going to the Delta system but thanks for your input. cheers

Last edited:
You probably have some good insight on both systems. I guess my only concern would be being junior on an aircraft and then falling off to reserve. For example, I would like to fly the B767ER out of SEA(I commute) but realize I will probably be junior and I would rather fall off onto a position where I can hold a schedule vs. falling off onto reserve.

That is what I'm concerned with as well as a commuter. At NWA you know exactly when you can bid the block and commute for a category. Otherwise it would be... I need a crash pad this month, I don't need one next month, I need a car there this month, I don't need one there next month and all at the whim of the senior pilots. I don't really see that as better.

I totally disagree. Having the flexibilty to bid reserve one month and a regular line the next is a great deal. I use it all the time. If you live in base and don't need the money, have another business, the trips suck, I don't feel like working, etc you can bid reserve and maybe free up a regular line for a junior guy who commutes or whatever. I lived under the NW system and I'd never trade the one DL has now for the block/reserve category system. Now we could work on the reserve system here but that's another story.

If you live in base it sounds great, otherwise, not so much.

You probably have some good insight on both systems. I guess my only concern would be being junior on an aircraft and then falling off to reserve. For example, I commute but I would like to fly the B767ER out of SEA. I will probably be junior and I would rather fall off onto a position where I can hold a schedule vs. falling off onto reserve. All this is probably irrelevant anyway, since we are going to the Delta system but thanks for your input. cheers

The DL system works best for those that can live in/close to a base and NW systems were set up for commuters since the large majority commute. If you commute I'd make sure there is plenty of room below you. SEA 76ER is bound to be ultra-senior as we had a base there that closed as well as a PDX base and a crap-load of DL guys live in the Northwest. DL people in BOS, DFW, MCO, SFO, PDX etc would sell one of their kids for a base there.

Like I said the bottom 10% can probably count on a reserve schedule but it varies slightly with the month. As a wag if I had a bid in and definitely didn't want reserve I'd bid it to be in the top 70% only. Cheers.

DL people in BOS, DFW, MCO, SFO, PDX etc would sell one of their kids for a base there.

Like I said the bottom 10% can probably count on a reserve schedule but it varies slightly with the month. As a wag if I had a bid in and definitely didn't want reserve I'd bid it to be in the top 70% only. Cheers.

Yikes!!! Didn't realize so many DL guys and gals were out in the Puget Sound. We'll see how this all shakes out. My preference would be continue the Asia Interport flying, which will probably go to from MSP to SEA. Thanks again for the info.

That is what I'm concerned with as well as a commuter. At NWA you know exactly when you can bid the block and commute for a category. Otherwise it would be... I need a crash pad this month, I don't need one next month, I need a car there this month, I don't need one there next month and all at the whim of the senior pilots. I don't really see that as better.

This will likely discourage some FNWA commuters from bidding some current DL bases, since they will not be able to be sure of being a line holder unless you are atleast at the 85% level. Anything less and your QOL could suffer if you didn't live in base. But, many FNWA pilots may choose to move anyway, and current FNWA pilots who commute to DTW or MSP may move up in category (DC9 or bus) and actually have an improvement in QOL even though they are commuting to those FNWA bases.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back