• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta 767 Emerg in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So there I was- knee deep in my own vomit, tracers chattering all over the ground and overhead, trying to figure out the best way to unstick a heavy 120K pounds over gross and a CG -500% LEMAC.

It was typhoon season, and the gravel runway was covered in pythons the size of redwoods writhing in the foot deep mud covering all 3200 feet of it. The JET-A was cheap liquor, and I was literally flying solo. The FE and FO were eaten by them runway snakes during the hot refueling.

An earthquake occurred at V1, and at precisely the same moment someone detonated a low-yield nuke they'd smuggled on board.

Sit back, and I'll tell you my WORST day of flying story.

So there I was- knee deep in my own vomit, tracers chattering all over the ground and overhead, trying to figure out the best way to unstick a heavy 120K pounds over gross and a CG -500% LEMAC.

It was typhoon season, and the gravel runway was covered in pythons the size of redwoods writhing in the foot deep mud covering all 3200 feet of it. The JET-A was cheap liquor, and I was literally flying solo. The FE and FO were eaten by them runway snakes during the hot refueling.

An earthquake occurred at V1, and at precisely the same moment someone detonated a low-yield nuke they'd smuggled on board.

Sit back, and I'll tell you my WORST day of flying story.

...And the crew meal was ham and cheese... AGAIN!

They're just doing what they are trained and paid to do. If not, then you would read about them, AND I'm glad we are not.

In an RJ, it isn't.

You flew the E120. Put a swept wing on it, so that it rolls much more with rudder, and an unfeathered prop (fan) on the dead engine. Unless you have flown it.... IMHO doing a SE missed in either of those airplanes is a "big deal."

How do you know the fuel on board? Know why they went missed? Where's General Lee when there is a 767 story to chime in on?

I know the fuel on board because I was on freq when they were talking to Atlanta approach. Thats how I knew he had the left engine shut down.

I was not quite sure what you where getting at with the E-120 though??

Doing a single engine missed in an RJ is actually a little easier after you get the aircraft trimed again for the higher power setting. Things move a little slower... Not saying its "easy" by any means, but we have all been trainied to do this sort of thing so it should be a non event.

Ohhhh, ahhhhh, impressive stuff!!

Scaaaaary!! How did they ever survive?

You know, 1/2 of you pilots need to grow a set! Be real men people. And we wonder why the media makes such a big thing over NON-events like this. An engine out on a 767 is hardly an emergency as the title of this thread would suggest. Be a pilot and fly the plane, it will fly fine.

Try repossessing a 727 from the bowels of Africa while being shot at, beginning your takeoff roll with only 2 engines up, while starting the 3rd while on the roll. I'll take the "inconvenience" of an engine out on a Delta 767 over Atlanta everyday of the week.

If some of you guys find an engine out on a 767 with a go-around at 400 feet an impressive feat, so be it. Just please don't ooh and ahhh about it on a public message board as it only shows your inexperience.

Son, your ego's writing checks your body can't cash.

You're dangerous!!! (teeth clenching)

If a single engine go is a "non-event," what qualifies as an event?

Two thumbs up to the pilots that made the safe landing.
:beer:

Nice story. All of us military and former military got a good chuckle out of your "time in harms way."

No offense boss!!! What some of you guys encountered is about as bad as it gets I would imagine. You are the guys putting your life on the line for the United States of America. I was doing it for greed. Plain and simple.

BTW..I was a Msn Commander in Africa in 2002/2003 when 727s were being repo'd. What we had in store for you was much worse than the natives had you flown our way. A rogue airliner is suspected to be a threat these days.

That is why we didn't fly your way!:D

Skyboy722 said:
Nobody said it was a big deal. But it is rare. So some people want to come here and talk about it.

aww shucks, aint that sweet. Maybe an engine out is rare for you, but not everyone has lived the docile life you apparently have.

ImbracableCrunk said:
An emergency can be either a distress or urgency condition as defined in the Pilot/Controller Glossary. Pilots do not hesitate to declare an emergency when they are faced with distress conditions such as fire, mechanical failure, or structural damage. However, some are reluctant to report an urgency condition when they encounter situations which may not be immediately perilous, but are potentially catastrophic. An aircraft is in at least an urgency condition the moment the pilot becomes doubtful about position, fuel endura.......

blah blah blah whaa whaa whaablah blah.......I'm sorry, where did the lawyer come from? That is all lawyer talk. And the whole point of my original thread was not to question the PIC's decision to declare an emergency if he indeed was in doubt of the outcome of the flight, but to get these naive little kids who have never faced an emergency in their lives, except maybe the loss of 1 of their 2 fms's, to not sound so highschoolish.

Latest resources

Back