• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta 717's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not sure about the numbers on Compass/Mesaba flow ups, but the Pinnacle guys only have a guaranteed interview, no promise of a job. Beyond that, the contractual restriction is 35% of each new hire class has to come from an ALPA represented DCI carrier. You can read the actual contract language below, but the language is pretty loose with enough caveats and loopholes to make it effectively meaningless. My opinion, we will probably exceed 35% anyway, just based on who will be available and qualified whenever hiring starts.

Here's the contract language.

The Company will fill a minimum of 35% of the aggregate of all positions in Delta pilot new-hire classes in each trailing twelve-month period (to the extent airmen are available) with ALPA-represented airmen at Delta Connection Carriers, subject to such airmen meeting the Company’s competitive hiring standards, and subject to the Company’s objectives for diversity and experience among newly hired pilots. Airmen who flow up

pursuant to LOA #9 and LOA #10 count toward satisfaction of such minimum percentage.

" subject to the company's objectives for diversity ( translation: non white males and females) and experience"

It sucked that you didn't OWN them. My God, an entire fleet that is leased. That would have been my first clue that things aren't always as they appear.

Yes . . . How terrible! We went from 30 or so crappy, -300 style airplanes in 2000, to a fleet of over 135 fuel-efficient, new or newer airplanes in 2010, most of which were leased, while we quadrupled our cash position, and paid off debt.

What a house of cards! We're so lucky you bought us, and saved us from our profitable self. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes . . . How terrible! We went from 30 or so crappy, -300 style airplanes in 2000, to a fleet of over 135 fuel-efficient, new or newer airplanes in 2010, most of which were leased, while we quadrupled our cash position, and paid off debt.

What a house of cards! We're so lucky you bought us, and saved us from our profitable self. :rolleyes:

Minimally profitable while owning nothing, yea that's going to work out well.

DAL and 717s
Hertz and Yugos
Pure genius on getting the "Lease with option to buy" though!

DAL and 717s
Hertz and Yugos
Pure genius on getting the "Lease with option to buy" though!

Yugos? You've obviously never flown one of these. The DAL guys are gonna enjoy the sh!t out of them like we have. Too bad DAL didn't keep the all glass panel on their 90's.

Agree w/ ATL- it's a nice plane- nicer than a -700

Yugos? You've obviously never flown one of these. The DAL guys are gonna enjoy the sh!t out of them like we have. Too bad DAL didn't keep the all glass panel on their 90's.

The DAL board just signed off on a plan to put dual-fms, GPS, and flat panel glass in all the 88/90s. Supposed to start upgrading next year. Apparently the 717 will still be a separate category.

As far as I know, the Saudi MD-90s were the only ones built with a full glass cockpit. Delta is not buying those. (So far, anyway)

I'm looking forward to leaving the 88 and going to the 717. It's going to feel like a brand new airplane and I might even be more senior. I'm betting that after several come on line that the flying will look very different than the dc9.

Latest resources

Back