• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta 717's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard delta was also looking at dc 3s and 707s to continue their strategy of buying the oldest planes possible. They have also pushed their Dreamliner order back to 2032

Only at RJ wages, were the 717 economical.

Or unless you allow someone else to pay for the C-check, repaint, remod, and wifi install, plus you have bag fees and a refinery......;)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I heard delta was also looking at dc 3s and 707s to continue their strategy of buying the oldest planes possible. They have also pushed their Dreamliner order back to 2032

Rumor has it there are more used planes on the way, a lot larger than 717s, though...

Bye Bye---General Lee

All new interiors, and a few options. The all knowing, greatest airline in history decided to pay the competition 150 million dollars to fly their inherited airplanes against them on the same routes. The same airplanes that made money flying against The greatest airline ever.
Well, here are the numbers Gary Kelly looked at for 2016: either fly 88 leased B717s with 120 seats on them or keep 88 paid off B737-300s with the 143 seat evolve interior for a few years longer. Gary Kelly has told Wall Street on numerous occasions that the B717s and B737s have very similar per trip costs.

If you do the math, the 88 B737-300s that are kept around longer will pull in hundreds of millions more per year in revenue than the B717s would have. That doesn't even count the costs of having a second fleet type which adds complexity to the SWA system.

You mean to tell me if someone said to you pay me $150 upfront and then I will pay you $300 per year for 4-6 years, you would turn them down? That is why bean counters run airlines better than pilots.

But, this supposedly is the last negative bid for awhile, with consistent hiring and retirements coming up......it will eventually happen, maybe flow ups first during the beginning of next year?
General, do you know what the deal is with flow ups? Are half the new hire classes fill with Compass and Pinnacle guys for a while?

Rumor has it there are more used planes on the way, a lot larger than 717s, though...
Of course Delta is getting more used aircraft. There balance sheet won't allow for the procurement of newer more fuel efficient aircraft:

Year End 2010 DAL Stockholder equity: $800 million
Year End 2012 DAL Stockholder deficit: $2.1 billion

Heading the wrong direction there General. Delta going need some bigger profits to be able to pay for all those pension obligations and interest payments to service their long term debt. Isn't it better to have more assets on your balance sheet than liabilities?

General, do you know what the deal is with flow ups? Are half the new hire classes fill with Compass and Pinnacle guys for a while?

I don't know the exact numbers per class, but I believe Compass also has a limit per year, meaning if there are a lot of classes and the number is hit early, there might not be any in the later classes of the year. I don't think PNCL has that restriction. I wouldn't be surprised if half of each class is comprised of flow ups. But again, I don't remember the exact numbers.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back