Delta 5 day domestic trips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ouch. 5 days?

That's what I said, but the former NWA guys seem to love them. I was jumpseating with an MD-90 crew recently who were former NWA, and they were talking about how they missed the 5-day trips on the Airbus. Seemed weird to me, but everyone thinks I'm crazy for flying CDOs, so I don't judge. :)

I did a few 5 days on the 9 and on the bus while on reserve and frankly I don't see the appeal. In my experience they weren't commutable on either end so what's the point? Granted I was on reserve so I probably wasn't seeing a good representation of a "good" 5 day. But an uncommutable 5 day? Really?

NWA guys used to love 5 day trips because so many guys were commuters, but the trips were built differently and generally more appealing than they are now. NWA used to build them with late reports and single legs on the first day, a busy three days, then a quick one leg last day done in plenty of time to commute. You could get a full month with two 5's and a 3 or 4 and be done. We also didn't see a lot of 5 leg days. It was usually just 3, with the occasional 5. (I'm talking about the DC-9 in DTW back before 9/11). The ATL DC-9 bid pack right now is freakin' scary, with many 5 and 6 leg days. I guess the 717 will be about the same when it shows up.

Really 29hr 5 day.......we have a ton of 28.5 4 days at ASA seems like a waste of time to me.

Last edited:
Really 29hr 5 day.......we have a ton of 28.5 4 days at ASA seems like a waste of time to me.

It was mainly a commuter thing. I'd rather have a commutable 28 hour 5 day than a non commutable 29 hour 4 day that costs me two hotel rooms.

I think the post about the trip rigs hit the nail on the head.

Latest resources

Back