Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delivering single engine aircraft to Europe and beyond?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flightjock30

We recently spoke about how dumb a pilot was to fly over Lake Michigan at night in a single engine aircraft. My next question is.....when a Cessna 172 is manufactured in the US and someone in Germany wants to buy it does a ferry pilot have to fly it all the way from Kansas to Germany? If sooo, is it not EXTREMELY risky and dangerous to make an atlantic crossing???? I mean even if you have a raft, etc. By the time help arrives in the arctic waters of the North Atlantic you will be long gone.
Sorry if I sound ignorant! I suppose they could ship these European purchases by boat over.

Flightjock30 said:
We recently spoke about how dumb a pilot was to fly over Lake Michigan at night in a single engine aircraft. My next question is.....when a Cessna 172 is manufactured in the US and someone in Germany wants to buy it does a ferry pilot have to fly it all the way from Kansas to Germany? If sooo, is it not EXTREMELY risky and dangerous to make an atlantic crossing???? I mean even if you have a raft, etc. By the time help arrives in the arctic waters of the North Atlantic you will be long gone.
Sorry if I sound ignorant! I suppose they could ship these European purchases by boat over.

Just a lowtime PPL's view here:

I think there's a difference between flying over an ocean and flying over a lake. For example, we have a very large body of water here in South FL called Lake Okeechobee. I will not fly across it such that I can't glide to land, so I end up adding a little bit of time to skirt across the edge of the lake. When I flew to the keys, I flew along US1 (not that landing on US1 would always be the best option, powerlines suck). But I also flew to the Bahamas, which required flying over the Atlantic and being out of glide range for a little while. There was obviously no way to go around the ocean, but I did pick the shortest route from the FL coast to the closest Bahaman island. I just island hopped from there to my destination.

The point is, if I'm going from Point A-B in a piston single and have a choice between a land route (or being high enough to glide to land) or going over a body of water w/ ditching as the only option, I'll take the land/glide route. It's the minimal risk for the situation. For the Bahamas, the shortest route across the water was the minimal risk.

I'm a low time private pilot, so I wouldn't feel comfortable making an ocean crossing (obviously much more dangerous than a simple Bahamas trip). But I think it would be fun, and certainly wouldn't look down on anybody doing it if they had the experience and equipment to do it right. I think someday I'd enjoy doing it!

There used to be a guy that wrote for Plane & Pilot magazine (Bill Cox?) that ferried all sorts of planes all over the world. I haven't read that mag in a while so I don't know if he still writes about it, but there seemed to be a lot of preparation involved with overwater deliveries.

Actually a lot of single engine planes are ferried over to Europe. I have had a couple calls myself about doing some of those flights, however I am still rather nervous about doing it in a single and I only have done one atlantic crossing, which was Scotland - Iceland - Greenland - Canada in a Cheyenne II.

A ferry pilot I know once flew a C-172 16 hours straight, from canada to england, hand flying the whole way.

A lot of aircraft are ferried over the ponds but I wouldn't say it is either extremely risky or dangerous... if you are prepared. I'm sure it goes without saying but a lot of prep work goes into making a flight like that. And not that I'd wish to ditch anywhere but, if you think about it, you do have some things going for you. You know right where the terrain is, sea level, and you know about what it will look like. I say about because you might not be able to see the swell patterns and wave heights, depending on wx and time of day. But think about having to stick one in somewhere at night or in poor wx... there is a lot of the country where your odds of surviving that are no better than or worse than surviving a ditching. JMHO...

cc

Flightjock30 said:
We recently spoke about how dumb a pilot was to fly over Lake Michigan at night in a single engine aircraft.
Not necessarily dumb, he did fly at a point that was only about 80 miles wide, and people do it everyday. Airplanes fly over water just as easy as they do over land.

What the pilot lacked was proper flight planning, and good operating practice. Last I checked those airplanes hold enough fuel to fly over the 80 mile point multiple times on one tank. What he did wrong was trying to brave the crossing of the lake with obviously marginal fuel. His gamble didn't pay off.

All that to say, it's not dumb to fly across the lake in a single-engine. It's dumb to fly across a lake in a single-engine airplane with negligble fuel.

Go to AirJourney.com and you'll see that single-engine airplanes frequently make trips across the Atlantic.

Flightjock30 said:
There are probably hundreds of crossings each year made by SEL aircraft. (And there are also a few ditchings each year as well.) Sure there's a risk, but the guys who do it are for the most part professionals and properly equipted. From an aircraft point of view, it's really not all that demanding - the longest over water leg is only about 600 miles.

'Sled

Clutch_Cargo said:
A lot of aircraft are ferried over the ponds but I wouldn't say it is either extremely risky or dangerous... if you are prepared. I'm sure it goes without saying but a lot of prep work goes into making a flight like that. And not that I'd wish to ditch anywhere but, if you think about it, you do have some things going for you. You know right where the terrain is, sea level, and you know about what it will look like. I say about because you might not be able to see the swell patterns and wave heights, depending on wx and time of day. But think about having to stick one in somewhere at night or in poor wx... there is a lot of the country where your odds of surviving that are no better than or worse than surviving a ditching. JMHO...
Do you remember the incident several years ago where the husband and wife were flying their Twin Comanche to Europe and flew it onto the Greenland Ice Cap? It is truely an amaizing story. The were sitting there in the clouds, fat dumb and happy, on autopilot then all of a sudden they said that it got a little turbulent. A few moments later, the engines stopped turning. At that point, the guy and his wife undid their belts, opened the door, and stepped out on the wing and onto the icepack. If I remember right, they had been cruising at 16,000', but I really don't remember for sure. Great story about a couple of very lucky people.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back