• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delay of 9E/XJ/9L list

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mesaba didn't find it. Colgan did. Sorry to burst your bubble.
QUOTE]

Finally the truth is revealed. Colgan found the mistakes and are actually the ones disputing the 9E list now. XJ is taking the back seat.

That is true, true, true. Verifiably true.

As for how the list has been corrected to Bloch is a nice story too. 9E merger committee chair J.H. is about as incompetent as they come constructing lists.

Last edited:
SOME of you XJ types need to realize a couple of things (keep in mind, I am NOT cheerleading the PCL MEC):

1) XJ and 9E are totally different companies, and if the XJ MEC was dealing with PCL mgmt the whole time, things would have almost certainly been different (read: more like the way it turned out at 9E)

2) XJ pilots are not special. In fact, overall they are the exact same type of peope who work at 9E. Or Eagle. Or Delta or American, for that matter. As a group (or groups), pilots are remarkably similar. Yes, 9E's hiring practices may have resulted in a few more bad apples than some other carriers (or perhaps not).

3) Same thing as number two applies to your MEC vs the PCL MEC.

4) The arbitrator is an experienced pro. If the 9E postion and or actions are as terrible as some of you make out, then that will be considered, same for XJ and CJC. Keep that in mind when the decision comes out. The PCL MEC will not write it- a neutral arbitrator will.

I still suspect we will see some sort of status and category, and that DOH is unlikely to be used for anything.

Great post!!

I think once this SLI is behind us we should look at electing NEW union leaders across the board (People that have not been negatively influenced by the past members). It would be nice to see some fresh faces from all three groups running for election.

Great post!!

I think once this SLI is behind us we should look at electing NEW union leaders across the board (People that have not been negatively influenced by the past members). It would be nice to see some fresh faces from all three groups running for election.

I wouldn't mind a throwback that I think everyone respects.

Mesaba didn't find it. Colgan did. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I can't imagine that you would vote for a PCL rep. I thinks it's very likely that everyone will vote down partisan lines. Assuming equal voter turnout, that would result in the merged MEC being comprised of 6 PCL reps, 6 cjc reps and 2 msa reps.

Count me as one Pinnacle pilot that will almost certainly vote for Mesaba leadership. Don't get me wrong, we have had some really good leadership over the last 3-4 years. However, the Mesaba group has mostly had good solidarity and high expectations of their contract priorities, safety culture and high expectations of how they should be treated by their company. Not to say they haven't had many setbacks and had their share of attempts by their managers to take advantage of them. But in stark contrast to this group, they stuck together (in large part) and collectively pointed the gun at management to the maximum extent possible.

Our group however, has had a significant portion of our group pointing the gun at the union, dispite good leaders after WG. The biggest problem for our group came from rank and file, as well as leadership from the confederate south. Just as most of our corporate problems came from Tennessee....

Mesaba's management may have played hardball with labor, but they never under-resourced their company staffing, training, facilities, corporate personnel, just to name a few, like we did. Ask any of our training representatives that have toured Mesaba's training facilities and corporate headquarters. Pinnacle is a joke with rampers having taught pilot ground school and a headquarters out of a rundown strip mall in a dangerous part of town. Not to mention a dangerous town.

The faster our corporate, pilot and union culture gets the south diluted out of relevance, the better.

SOME of you XJ types need to realize a couple of things (keep in mind, I am NOT cheerleading the PCL MEC):

1) XJ and 9E are totally different companies, and if the XJ MEC was dealing with PCL mgmt the whole time, things would have almost certainly been different (read: more like the way it turned out at 9E)

2) XJ pilots are not special. In fact, overall they are the exact same type of peope who work at 9E. Or Eagle. Or Delta or American, for that matter. As a group (or groups), pilots are remarkably similar. Yes, 9E's hiring practices may have resulted in a few more bad apples than some other carriers (or perhaps not).

4) The arbitrator is an experienced pro. If the 9E postion and or actions are as terrible as some of you make out, then that will be considered, same for XJ and CJC. Keep that in mind when the decision comes out. The PCL MEC will not write it- a neutral arbitrator will.

I still suspect we will see some sort of status and category, and that DOH is unlikely to be used for anything.

Nice post, but I strongly dis-agree with point 1 and 3. I have said this before and I will say it again. Pinnacle has a great bunch of pilots. I appreciate the people that vollunteer for the union, but some jobs are not for some people. The 9E elected reps for the most part have the same goals as myself, but getting about to reach the goals is where we differ drastically. Our leadership and leadership styles at XJ has been vastly different than 9E and it truly seems to be more effective.

Lets hope the last is not true, for Pinnacle pilots sake. More 9E pilots would be helped by DOH than hurt. By a wide margin. But it doesn't help YOU, so you don't want it, even if it helps the group overall. Sort of like that travesty TA1.

Hoping for DOH across the board.

And while Pinnacle management may have been worse, MSA pilots would still have achieved more because of their solidarity. Our group has been totally fractured for years. As bad as our management has been, and they have been terrible, it should have been enough to get us all pushing in the same direction. But despite all odds, we had hundreds of people that thought it was a better decision to tear the union down from within. Epic stupidity. People that stupid don't have any business having influence on my career.

Mesaba pilots have at least demonstrated that they can distinguish between the enemy and your own team, something far too many southern pilots were not smart enough to accomplish.

I will almost certainly vote Mesaba reps on that basis alone. I can't wait for as much of the old pinnacle to be gone for ever.

Nice post, but I strongly dis-agree with point 1 and 3. I have said this before and I will say it again. Pinnacle has a great bunch of pilots. I appreciate the people that vollunteer for the union, but some jobs are not for some people. The 9E elected reps for the most part have the same goals as myself, but getting about to reach the goals is where we differ drastically. Our leadership and leadership styles at XJ has been vastly different than 9E and it truly seems to be more effective.

We have had some good leadership over the last 3-4 years. But don't underestimate how destructive the rank and file can be if they lack the intelligence, education or cultural norms to distinguish between the enemy and the union itself. They also have a very negative influence on good leadership, in addition to the general lack of solidarity.

I didn't say I _wanted_ status and catagory, just that I suspect that is more likely than DOH. And while it is true that many PCL F/O's may do well under DOH, there are plenty of CA's that would not.

As far as the MEC's go, has it occured to anyone that if MSA were PCL, then perhaps after years of working under that enviroment, that there would not been as much solidarity, regardless of who was running the MEC?

Fortunately for everyone, the company _seems_ to have been getting beter over the years (two steps forwards, one step back usually). Recent executive turnover is probably a good thing as well. Which means that the MSA guys will probably never get a chance to truely understand what it was like to work at PCL (a good thing).

The PCL MEC has been hampered by many issues, and mistakes were certainly made. But the "if the MSA MEC were there, they would have taken care of buisness and gotten xxx done" attitude shows more about how little you know about this company than what you know (or think you know) regarding the MEC.

I didn't say I _wanted_ status and catagory, just that I suspect that is more likely than DOH. And while it is true that many PCL F/O's may do well under DOH, there are plenty of CA's that would not.

As far as the MEC's go, has it occured to anyone that if MSA were PCL, then perhaps after years of working under that enviroment, that there would not been as much solidarity, regardless of who was running the MEC?

Fortunately for everyone, the company _seems_ to have been getting beter over the years (two steps forwards, one step back usually). Recent executive turnover is probably a good thing as well. Which means that the MSA guys will probably never get a chance to truely understand what it was like to work at PCL (a good thing).

The PCL MEC has been hampered by many issues, and mistakes were certainly made. But the "if the MSA MEC were there, they would have taken care of buisness and gotten xxx done" attitude shows more about how little you know about this company than what you know (or think you know) regarding the MEC.

Negative sir. The fact that management was so terrible, should have created all the solidarity around the union leadership that we could ever have wanted, or needed. The fact that so many of our pilots (coincidentally from the south) thought it was a better idea to point the gun at the union, instead of the company, despite how terrible our management have been, is proof, without any doubt, that we need to dilute the southern mentality and influence out of this sad excuse for an airline.

You say that MSA pilots would have had less solidarity working under our management. I believe they would have had more. They had many serious setbacks over the years, and still stuck together. We should have taken our own challenges with our ruthless management, and used that as fuel against nonconnah blvd. Instead, a very large group of really stupid pilots thought it would be wiser to through that fuel on our union, and then light the match.

It is a culture difference, and our past culture has proven to fail us as a group.

We need a new culture with proven success.

As for how the list has been corrected to Bloch is a nice story too. 9E merger committee chair J.H. is about as incompetent as they come constructing lists.
What's that story? Can you post it here? If not, PM me for privacy.

Latest resources

Back