Deicing regulatory question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stillflyn

I know that different companies/airlines have different procedures dictated by their flight operations manual/deicing manual but this question is pertaining to a part 91 operation.

After deicing are the holdover times a hard time or are they a recommended time. If after doing a pre T/O contamination check and finding a clean wing can you legally still depart if you are outside of your holdover time? Do you have an available reference for this?

How do some of your FOM's word this?

I can't find any reference saying that I can't depart under this situation but I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

This was a common practice at the airlines but that was under part 121 with approved deicing programs not part 91.

Thanks for the help,

Stillflyn

I am 121 but if the wing is clean its clean, its how you determine its clean is the question...

I agree with previous post, our FOM had a procedure for the check that involved a pilot going back into the cabin, in Minneapolis the deice was not at the runway, so hold over time was never adequate.

I know that different companies/airlines have different procedures dictated by their flight operations manual/deicing manual but this question is pertaining to a part 91 operation.

After deicing are the holdover times a hard time or are they a recommended time. If after doing a pre T/O contamination check and finding a clean wing can you legally still depart if you are outside of your holdover time? Do you have an available reference for this?

How do some of your FOM's word this?

I can't find any reference saying that I can't depart under this situation but I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

This was a common practice at the airlines but that was under part 121 with approved deicing programs not part 91.

Thanks for the help,

Stillflyn

Go back to the mountain with your gay lover and quit worrying about a little ice on the wings....

Ultrarunner has it correct. The tactile touch is controlling. The holdover times are a recommended guide by the manufacturer. The Fluid can be effective for more or less than that time. Our job to take a peek. Charts are basically for planning purposes.

Ground Icing/Regulatory Controls

For a Part 91 operation the AFM is the limiting document. There are no further regulatory controls. Gulfstream has recently added a required tactile check to all large cabin Gulfstream models.

TransMach

Latest resources

Back