death of delta and effect on asa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
casper1nine said:
so why couldn't asa continue to market, sell, and fly those seats as it's own brand in the event of a delta ch 7? what's more, in the event of a delta liquidation, would it be to the advantage of SKW (if possible), to purchase the ticketing, reservations, awards program, and even the delta brand? (didn't b-m buy the pan-am name)? anyway, just idle thoughts bouncing around in my head.

-casper1nine

So run an indepenent airline with 50 seaters? Hasn't this been tried before?

What other airline would need to purchase that much 50 seat lift?

Likely if you Delta goes down. Comair is gone. ASA is gone. Most of Republic is gone. It is pretty grim.

General Lee said:
IF we go Chap 7, it is likely that all of the affiliates with 50 seat RJs would see them parked immediately. Comair would likely disappear, ASA would be grounded, and SkyWest would likely file Chap 11 since almost half of it's flying would cease. Chautaqua and Mesa would also likely park many planes. This is absolutely high stakes poker, and hopefully it will turn out ok, but the company and the union will have to actually negotiate. Chap 11 isn't meant to be a grab bag. We already gave once, and we are willing to give something again, but not everything.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The whole idea of SkyWest going 11 just made General tool spot, please be more careful in the future!

Coloaviator said:
SKW wouldn't file chap 13 they have over 500 million in the bank and only 30% of their flights/rev is delta related. They would be one of those roach airlines

Chap 13? Sure, they also had an extra $400 million in the bank before they bought ASA, and then in the case of a DL chap 7 they would likely park all of the planes. Southwest would fill in on the West Coast, and Airtran and Jetblue would fill in on the East. SkyWest would be left hurting, really bad. Same with CHQ and Mesa. Not good, but that is what high stakes poker is all about. I hope it doesn't get to that point, but it may.

Bye Bye--General lee

CFIT said:
The whole idea of SkyWest going 11 just made General tool spot, please be more careful in the future!

Possibly parking half of your fleet can do that. (now owning ASA makes it worse---more exposure) You initially had about 25% of the DCI flying from SLC and DFW(when we had DFW), and now you have about 60% with ASA included. Again, I hope it doesn't get to the strike point, but it might if there are no real negotiations.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Sorry to sidetrack ... what'sa DCI?

CoATP said:
Sorry to sidetrack ... what'sa DCI?

Delta Connection. I believe it covers the companies that are owned by Delta (Comair and ASA ---although ASA is owned by SkyWest now), and to us it covers the airlines that feed Delta. We Delta pilots sometimes use the term to cover the regionals flying for us.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Oh My God!!! the sky is falling. Everyone, run and hide! Quick!

You're all going to feel silly in a couple of years when the industry comes back around as it always has.

I do however hope those of you who are senior to me continue to leave and get out of my way. Please find something else to do.

Oh, comon! It's a big bluff....a game of chicken!

It's not "poker", since we can all see the Delta pilots' hands....they're bluffing.

Do you think any Delta pilots would risk losing their careers, even at half pay, given that there are NO jobs in aviation paying more than about $30K to start, with dismal upside potential.

And, save for a few lucky ones, they've got no alternatives other than aviation.

Worst case is a small disruption, maybe even a quickie (illegal) walkout. No Chapter 7.

But even if they do strike, there are tons of regional pilots ready to be scabs and fly the 777 at 50-seat pay!

Latest resources

Back