Dealing With Teenage Students

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lymanm

I'm just posting this to have you guys dissect a situation...I have zero support at work from another CFI for reasonsI'll get into.

I'm 23 and instructing at a lazy Part 61 school, 99% PPL students. There is another instructor here my age, doing the same thing. We both have a variety of students, and this tale is to do with 2 16 y/o students we each have. My student only has about 3 hours of solo time, and the other CFI's student has about 30 (dad owns a plane). My fellow CFI lets his teenage student take the plane up whenever he wants, with or without endorsement. He's also extraordinarily "casual" with regards to many other habits (flying VFR into IMC, using his cell phone while teaching), but that is another story.

Anyway, so my teenage student and the other CFI's teenage student decide to do formation flying on a 50ft low approach at an uncontrolled field. The airport manager called us and warned us he was going to get them violated if I didn't talk to them. When my student returned, I confronted him and forcefully told him off ("I'm disappointed at your decions making process" etc etc etc) and subsequently suspended his solo endorsement. The other CFI talked to his student and casually scolded him, but nothing further. His reaction to his student ruins my credibility and makes me look way too anal. Part of my dilemma is also that I'm not that much older than these guys and yet I have to come across as almost parental, and I must admit I'm not comfortable with it.

Part of this problem is also dealing the fact that these 2 guys are 16 and are inexplicably cocky with their whole 35 hours of PIC between them.

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for here, but these questions come to mind...Did I overract? Is it my place to scold the other CFI's student? Should I confront this other CFI (he's a good friend away from the airport)? Has anyone had to deal with renegade teenage students (who own their own plane)?

Thanks for hearing me rant. Happy 4th.

Don't feel bad about suspending your student's solo endorsement. What he did with the amount of time he has could easily be considered careless and reckless....all you need is for that airport manager to call the FAA and paint a really bad picture about what happened. Pissed off people always make things sound worse than they actually were. Remember that solo students are on YOUR ticket...so you are considered to be almost directly responsible for what they do as far as the FAA is concerned. I would definately talk to the other CFI...letting a student fly w/o an endorsement isn't legal. Wonder why he would do that? They only need one recurring endorsement and it's good for 90 days. You should probably mention the pissed off airport manager that was threatening to call the FAA. If that doesn't change his too casual attitude a bit, I'm not sure what will. Were they just flying low or doing anything else?

lymanm said:
I'm not even sure what I'm looking for here, but these questions come to mind...Did I overract? Is it my place to scold the other CFI's student? Should I confront this other CFI (he's a good friend away from the airport)? Has anyone had to deal with renegade teenage students (who own their own plane)?
I don't think you overreacted. My students get handed a Flight Training Operations Handbook when they buy their CPC Kit that has some basic rules to follow as well as some limitations. First off, formation flight is not allowed while operating on a student pilot certificate. I do not think that it is your place to scold the other CFI's student because it is his responsibility. As for approaching your friend, that is up to you. It could bring friction between you two or he may respect your advice. As for suspending your student's solo privledges, is that just for the flight school or did you do something to his certificate/logbook? If you did something to his logbook/certificate, you could be opening yourself up to legal issues because those documents are his even though you have your name in it and can be considered destruction of property (this bit of info came from an FAA ops guy when I was getting ready for my CFI practical). Just a word of caution. Keep your chin up, you are doing the right thing IMO.

flytheblue said:
I would definately talk to the other CFI...letting a student fly w/o an endorsement isn't legal. Wonder why he would do that? They only need one recurring endorsement and it's good for 90 days.
If the student has been signed off for solo and is within his 90 day currency endorsement, the student can legally take the aircraft up w/o the instructor being there, correct? I've seen this situation occur before. However, almost every FBO's requires an instructor to be there when the student is up soloing. Not much you can do but calm the student pilot down if something does go wrong or he/she gets scared.

Andrew

Both students exhibited extremely poor judgement. If you have any further problems with your student, you need to terminate his training immediately. If he goes to another school/instructor, so be it - but warn that instructor and your local FSDO. It may seem harsh, but it's necessary IMO. Don't let this guy kill himself or somebody else due to lack of respect for the rules, lack of supervision, or lack of common sense.

You were 100% right to do what you did....although I, personally, would have terminated his training and revoked his endorsement immediately - and notified the local FSDO. If the other instructor is not doing his job in reprimanding his student, you need to talk to him first - and if that gets you nowhere, talk to the student. If he is not receptive, notify the FSDO.

While not a CFI (and thus I can't get into punishments and revoking the endorsement), I would support your decision as a fellow pilot sharing the same airspace. It's bad enough that he decided to do a formation flight, but at 50' AGL?

My question would be is the other student a bad example that your student is immitating or is your student stupid enough to go and do this on his own? If the other student is pressuring your student to do this stuff, you need to get it through your students head that HE is the one making the decisions in the aircraft, not his friends or his ego. It is your job to keep your student out of trouble (up to and including stopping his training). Everyone makes mistakes, the student may learn something valuable from this one and where to draw the line on who is PIC.

You will need to talk to your fellow CFI. If he is reasonable, ask him if he would fly a formation flight down to 50' with a student pilot in the other aircraft? If he says no, ask him why he would allow one of his students to do it? (just one way to go at the situation but something does need to be said, if not for a professional duty but also from a personal one)

The other student isn't your problem and if he does create a problem (buzzing the field or other unsafe practices that needlessly endanger people or property), a call to FSDO can take care of it if nothing else. Also, remember that flying without an endorsement (or certificate) is illegal and that they could fail a checkride if the examiner looks at everything and works out the numbers (but since the kid has his own aircraft, your friend really doesn't have any way to stop this short of reporting the kid to the FAA).

Remember, it isn't the age that you are that counts. It's how many hours that you have flown compared to these students. A 69 year old man is STILL a student pilot even though he is three times your age.

Punk students

lymanm said:
Anyway, so my teenage student and the other CFI's teenage student decide to do formation flying on a 50ft low approach at an uncontrolled field. The airport manager called us and warned us he was going to get them violated if I didn't talk to them. When my student returned, I confronted him and forcefully told him off ("I'm disappointed at your decions making process" etc etc etc) and subsequently suspended his solo endorsement. The other CFI talked to his student and casually scolded him, but nothing further. His reaction to his student ruins my credibility and makes me look way too anal. Part of my dilemma is also that I'm not that much older than these guys and yet I have to come across as almost parental, and I must admit I'm not comfortable with it . . . . I'm not even sure what I'm looking for here, but these questions come to mind...Did I overract?
Several points come to mind.

No, in no way did you overreact. The long and short of it is that students are tied to you until they earn a pilot certificate. Until that time, you bear ultimate responsibility for their actions. If they get violated, guess who the FAA will look to? It will be Y-O-U. Your tickets are on the line and you must protect them.

I've told this story before, so I will try to be brief. At MAPD, I had a student who twice disregarded my instructions for his cross-countries. The second time, he landed at an airport at which I had not endorsed him to land and which was prohibited by our school. I was furious. I could not renege his endorsements, but I could and did send in a NASA report to cover my ass. Maybe you should, too. He really was a good student, but I knocked him down a grade because he did not follow my directions.

Although you might be only a little older than your students, as a flight instructor you represent authority, precisely as as a teacher would in school, which very much makes you "parental." That does not mean that you should rule with an iron hand, but it does mean you cannot be their bud and pal. You are in charge. You must deal with your students at arms' length. Unfortunately, your authority is undermined by your FBO's lackadaisical attitude and your co-worker.

I've seen it happen so many times. You tell your student how you want something done. He talks to his friend who has a different instructor. Your student comes back to you and says, "But (other instructor) said you don't have do it that way." Your response can be, "That's fine. We can always arrange to have (other instructor's name) be your instructor."

Maybe that's the solution. Let your colleague have this other kid. Once again, ultimately, you will be dragged down along with this kid and your certificates will be at risk.

Until a student earns his/her Private, you are the boss. Do not ever compromise your integrity or your certificates. Good luck.

Last edited:
Terminate

If your student is cocky and did formation flying at 50 feet, you are risking your career by continuing to work with him. Give him to the other guy. The one exception would be if he has a complete change of heart after you spoke with him and proves to you in the future that he's taking flight safety more seriously.

If this kid bites it doing something stupid, it won't look good on your resume. I hope you have CFI insurance.....

I would echo everything that has been said!

Regardless of the age discrepancy, you need to set an example. Not just for the other students, but for the reckless guy. If he wants to be a professional, you need to make sure he understands the consequences. 23 is not a lot older in age, but in maturity it is significantly older.

If all else fails, and you don't get the response you need. Pass him along to another instructor with fair warning. Loosing one student will not affect your flight hours adversely. Best of luck.

JB2k

FracCapt said:
Both students exhibited extremely poor judgement. If you have any further problems with your student, you need to terminate his training immediately. If he goes to another school/instructor, so be it - but warn that instructor and your local FSDO. It may seem harsh, but it's necessary IMO. Don't let this guy kill himself or somebody else due to lack of respect for the rules, lack of supervision, or lack of common sense.

You were 100% right to do what you did....although I, personally, would have terminated his training and revoked his endorsement immediately - and notified the local FSDO. If the other instructor is not doing his job in reprimanding his student, you need to talk to him first - and if that gets you nowhere, talk to the student. If he is not receptive, notify the FSDO.
Bingo.

Lose a friend, make an enemy or two, and change schools if it comes down to it. Don't get caught up in letting this kind of thing, which could have been on the evening news all over America if it had gone ka-ka, to go by.

You could also ask for the safety progam manager to stop by under the guise of talking about a report he had about planes in the area performing unsafe maneuvers, and talk about santions for pilots and standards of instruction for CFI's.

Just an idea.

Latest resources

Back