• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Deadly Express, Miami Herald story about frieght dogs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On this forum this is more than likely preaching to the choir. Most of us here "been there done that and still have the greasy shirt hanging in the closet to prove it." Its a good read but I wonder if there will be any improvements to the industry. Thier (FAA) answer will be to go after the pliots while ignoring the companies questionable practices.

"more fatal crashes than government records reflect."

huh?

Poignant, one of those stories was from my little home airport, and I remember the saga of the badly burned pilot lingering for 6 days prior to his death was pretty horrifying to this aspiring aviator.

I have really been reading into this report. (I have a nice sit at KFLL :)) I have noticed that these folks really don't know how to read an NTSB report.

Findings
1. (C) AIRCRAFT WEIGHT AND BALANCE - INADEQUATE
2. (C) IMPROPER USE OF PROCEDURE - OTHER PERSON
3. (C) INADEQUATE SURVEILLANCE OF OPERATION - COMPANY/OPERATOR MGMT
4. (C) INADEQUATE SURVEILLANCE OF OPERATION - FAA(ORGANIZATION)
5. (C) TRIM SETTING - IMPROPER
6. (C) AIRCRAFT CONTROL - NOT POSSIBLE - PILOT IN COMMAND
7. (C) AIRSPEED - NOT MAINTAINED
8. STALL
----------
Occurrence #2: IN FLIGHT COLLISION WITH TERRAIN/WATER
They think that just because this (PIC control notation) is in here that the FAA and NTSB is blaming the pilots. While the truth is that the FAA is blaming themselves and Fine Air for the resultant crash.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows.
The airplane being misloaded to produce a more aft center of gravity and a correspondingly incorrect stabilizer trim setting that
precipitated an extreme pitch-up at rotation, was (1) the failure of Fine Air to exercise operational control over the cargo loading
process; and (2) the failure of Aeromar to load the airplane as specified by Fine Air. Contributing to the accident was the failure of
the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to adequately monitor Fine Air's operational control responsibilities for cargo loading and the
failure of the FAA to ensure that known cargo-related deficiencies were corrected at Fine Air.
In the case of the Tex Star crash, I would say it WAS the pilots fault. His inability to fly partial panel as he was trained to was the reason the plane had crashed. Whether or not the NTSB report that leads us to this conclusion is entirely correct or not, sadly, will never be known. To me it sounds as if the widows are on a witch hunt.

We have to remember that aviation is inherently dangerous. And, the risks are voluntary.

Last edited:
The_Russian said:
I have really been reading into this report. (I have a nice sit at KFLL :)) I have noticed that these folks really don't know how to read an NTSB report.

They think that just because this (PIC control notation) is in here that the FAA and NTSB is blaming the pilots. While the truth is that the FAA is blaming themselves and Fine Air for the resultant crash.

In the case of the Tex Star crash, I would say it WAS the pilots fault. His inability to fly partial panel as he was trained to was the reason the plane had crashed. Whether or not the NTSB report that leads us to this conclusion is entirely correct or not, sadly, will never be known. To me it sounds as if the widows are on a witch hunt.

We have to remember that aviation is inherently dangerous. And, the risks are voluntary.

Dont forget about the other Tex Star crash where the wing separated at 8000 feet. They guy keyed the mic screaming all the way down...

My self and the original poster have flown for these companies. Really kinda scary some of the things you see.

But I do agree with you Russian, most crashes are a result of pilot error.

You know, I don't doubt that when these reports blame the pilots they are technically correct. However, in the same way that fatigue related accidents also correctly blame the pilots, they are missing something. If you have a group of pilots that have a MUCH higher accident rate doing this type of flying than the same pilots have when they move on to the airlines, there is something wrong with the system. A better question to ask would be "why are these pilots flying broken airplanes or in bad conditions that lead to an accident?" I think that's what this article is getting at.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back