• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
"The only words you can say is that he is her hero."

Kimberly's sister Tracey explained how the instructor shielded Kimberly from the impact.

"(He said) I'm going to clip you to me so that I take the major brunt of the impact and hope for the best," Ms Dear said.

Dad praises plane crash 'hero'

August 01, 2006

A MELBOURNE man has praised the sky diving instructor who shielded his 21-year-old daughter from the brunt of a fatal plane crash in the US.

Six people were killed when their plane hit a power pole and then nosedived into a tree, narrowly missing a house, soon after take-off from an airport near St Louis, in Missouri, on Saturday afternoon.
The two people who remain with serious injuries in a US hospital include Melbourne woman Kimberly Dear, who was overseas on holiday.

Her father Bill, who lives in the Melbourne suburb of Sydenham, spoke to the Nine Network from his daughter's hospital room in the US today.

He praised the final actions of 22-year-old sky diving instructor Robert Cook, who was killed in the crash.

"I'm sitting here with my daughter I'm looking at her in extreme pain and stress," Mr Dear said.

"I'm feeling a sense of such gratitude to Robert for what he did (and) I'm just thanking God I've got my daughter.

"There are no words that I can say, and nothing I could ever do, that would ever come close to expressing the sense of gratitude and admiration and respect I have for the guy.

"The only words you can say is that he is her hero."

Kimberly's sister Tracey explained how the instructor shielded Kimberly from the impact.

"(He said) I'm going to clip you to me so that I take the major brunt of the impact and hope for the best," Ms Dear said.

Investigators believe the plane suffered an engine failure, and a witness has reported seeing the plane's right engine burst into flame moments after take-off.

Kimberly is not expected to return to Australia for several weeks, her father said.

"The only plane she wants to get on is the plane home," Mr Dear also said.

He gave his life to save another. The ultimate sacrifice. RIP

Makes me sick... As if his family isn't going through enough right now, they have to deal with this... Blue Skies to all 6 who passed, and may the 2 survivors make it through.

Lawsuits filed less than a week after the crash? I wonder if they buried their daughter before, during, or after they filed legal paperwork. I guess the investigation is useless since its already been determined who is at fault. I wonder if the waiver will hold up.

Hand Commander said:
I wonder if the waiver will hold up.

Don't they always? Everyone I ever signed always had me initial the paragraph that said I could die and was aware of the risk.

Blue Skies! Black Death!

kevdog said:
Don't they always? Everyone I ever signed always had me initial the paragraph that said I could die and was aware of the risk.
That's just it, the parents never signed such a thing, nor did PT 6 people or DH.

You cannot waive the rights of other persons, only your own.

Skydiving waivers have been beaten before haven't they FN? I was discussing this at the DZ the other day actually, and no one knew for sure if there has been a case where a person was hurt or killed skydiving and sued the dropzone sucessfully. I know the first tandem death this year resulted in jail time for the TM out of gross negligence, but has there been any cases you know of where a student (or experienced jumper for that matter) sued and won?

freeflyer14 said:
Skydiving waivers have been beaten before haven't they FN? I was discussing this at the DZ the other day actually, and no one knew for sure if there has been a case where a person was hurt or killed skydiving and sued the dropzone sucessfully. I know the first tandem death this year resulted in jail time for the TM out of gross negligence, but has there been any cases you know of where a student (or experienced jumper for that matter) sued and won?
ANother aspect to this is how DZs handle insurance. Most of the bigger ones don't have any and when lawyers find this out, they usually become disinterested because there is no money to go after. This is also the case for equipment manufacturers. Most bigger DZs usually have a few lawsuits going on behind the scenes from students.

freeflyer14 said:
Skydiving waivers have been beaten before haven't they FN? I was discussing this at the DZ the other day actually, and no one knew for sure if there has been a case where a person was hurt or killed skydiving and sued the drop zone successfully. I know the first tandem death this year resulted in jail time for the TM out of gross negligence, but has there been any cases you know of where a student (or experienced jumper for that matter) sued and won?
I think Avbug or A Squared had something to say in regards to skydiving waivers a while back.

All I know is that at my old drop zone, a lady broke her ankle during a tandem jump as a student/passenger. She signed a waiver and the club didn't have any insurance. Her lawyer called up claiming that waiver wasn't worth the paper it was printed on, but promptly shut the hell up when the club president told them the club had no money, assets or insurance.

If you were to be skydiving as student or a licensed jumper and wanted to sue the drop zone because you broke a hip in bad landing, I can't think of many judges that would look at your signature x 20 on a skydiving waiver and think that you're going to go far with your case...after all, you're the idiot jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.

On the other hand, let's just say for hypothetical case, that the drop zone with the twin otter had an unqualified pilot flying or an unqualified mechanic wrenching on the engine, or is found to be severely negligent in some manner regarding the crash...wouldn't you think that would be a violation of trust? It would probably mean that waiver is junk.

Besides, if there's a death and your wife sues or your parents sue or your children sue, they didn't sign no waiver.

Other people that didn't sign the waiver are the people you crash into when you make an accidental off airport landing under canopy, they whose house you crash through when you didn't open your canopy, the guy in the 172 that happened to flying over the drop zone when you exited the plane. Tons of people have not signed the waiver, that could be effected by some tragedy at a drop zone.

Latest resources

Back