• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DC9 stats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Didn't this one float a little bit due to fuel exhaustion?

I'm trying to find pictures of it, but apparently, there were a few DC-9s fitted with JATO packs

ABX had(has) a few with the fairings fitted for the JATO's

ABX had(has) a few with the fairings fitted for the JATO's

ABX operated some of them in early/mid '80s with the JATO system still "active", notably out of COS. The system was armed for T/O with a key, and if an engine was lost after V1 and prior to top of second segment the system was used to get the aircraft to top of second segment. I don't remember if the bottles fired automatically if an engine was lost or if a button had to be pushed. I do remember there was a button to fire the bottles, but it may have been a backup. The aircraft had a fuel dump system, which allowed the crew to dump down to a weight that allowed a single engine missed approach upon retrun to the field if it became necessary. As I recall someone set up a senairo in the sim where the aircraft was at 800' AGL & V2 one engine at the max allowable T/O weight with the system armed. The aircraft would not accelerate, you could not turn, or climb. All you could do was fly straight and level until you had dumped enough fuel to gain some margin of performance.

Forgot the 15F, this was a 10 series with a factory cargo door so airlines could convert them and fly pax during the day and cargo at night. DAL did this for a while in the late 60's turned out to be a flop. A 15F has two over wing exits, the 10 only has one over wign exit. A bid of trivia from the cargo world.

Don't think it was Delta that did that. They never ordered 15F's , just 10's ; 30's and of course the MD 88's . I believe it was Continental that had the 15F's you refer to and used them as freighter's at night in the late 60's and early 70's.

PHXFLYR

Latest resources

Back