• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DC-9 Pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So is there no one here who worked back in the 70s at a major? If you could please dig out your old contracts we would appreciate it. I would truly like to see the way things were. I love nostalgia! Or at least does anyone know where one could find the terms of some old contracts on the net?

Last edited:
Surely someone here has heard the old stick by which to measure our current compensation, right?

In the "good old days" a Captain could buy a new Cadillac every month.

Of course that meant Captain on the biggest, baddest equipment you had so we're talking 707, DC-8 and then DC-10, L-1011 and 747 Captain types. I'd say this aphorism was true from the early 60s until the late 80s at least.

What it means now is that a Captain on a 747/777 should be making about $40,000/month to be in line with what airline captains used to make.

The Delta guys were close with their last big contract but had still lost ground; now everything is just an embarassment.

Edit: this rule of thumb matches up with AAFlyer's numbers.

Last edited:
pilot141 said:
Surely someone here has heard the old stick by which to measure our current compensation, right?

In the "good old days" a Captain could buy a new Cadillac every month.

Of course that meant Captain on the biggest, baddest equipment you had so we're talking 707, DC-8 and then DC-10, L-1011 and 747 Captain types. I'd say this aphorism was true from the early 60s until the late 80s at least.

What it means now is that a Captain on a 747/777 should be making about $40,000/month to be in line with what airline captains used to make.

The Delta guys were close with their last big contract but had still lost ground; now everything is just an embarassment.

Edit: this rule of thumb matches up with AAFlyer's numbers.

Yeah, can't think of one company today that is equivalent to the old days.

Even earning HALF as much as pilots in days past would be great!! I guess a 50% pay cut wasn't enough for these despicable airlines.

Latest resources

Back