• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DC-9 Pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Still looking for you, but i just found this, I think you will find it interesting.

AA

A closer look at our compensation levels in the pre-deregulated airline industry will illustrate what I mean. When I checked out as a Boeing 737 first officer in 1978, I grossed over $70,000 a year. As I recall, Boeing 737 captains were pulling down around $100,000 a year and those exalted Boeing 747 captains were making in the neighborhood of $175,000. We used to facetiously ask the question, "Why did Boeing put such a huge hump on the top of the 747?" The not-so-facetious answer was, "So the captain can sit on his wallet."

Now, you may say that those pay rates are about what modern-day airline pilots were making before the last round of pay cuts. However, you have to convert that 1978 pay to today's dollars. To do that, we need to apply the increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

The CPI is a measure of the average change in prices over time in a market basket of goods and services. For example, the beer I bought in 1978 for $1.00 (and as I recall, I bought more than a few) costs me $2.82 now (Thankfully, I'm not drinking as much beer as I used to.). Table 1 below shows the 1978 paychecks for each position and the related size of those paychecks in today's dollars.

TABLE 1: 2003 $ value of 1978 Pay
Year

FO B737 CA B737 Cap B747
1978 $70,000 $100,000 $174,000

2003 $197,400 $282,00 $493,500

AAflyer said:
Still looking for you, but i just found this, I think you will find it interesting.

AA

A closer look at our compensation levels in the pre-deregulated airline industry will illustrate what I mean. When I checked out as a Boeing 737 first officer in 1978, I grossed over $70,000 a year. As I recall, Boeing 737 captains were pulling down around $100,000 a year and those exalted Boeing 747 captains were making in the neighborhood of $175,000. We used to facetiously ask the question, "Why did Boeing put such a huge hump on the top of the 747?" The not-so-facetious answer was, "So the captain can sit on his wallet."

Now, you may say that those pay rates are about what modern-day airline pilots were making before the last round of pay cuts. However, you have to convert that 1978 pay to today's dollars. To do that, we need to apply the increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

The CPI is a measure of the average change in prices over time in a market basket of goods and services. For example, the beer I bought in 1978 for $1.00 (and as I recall, I bought more than a few) costs me $2.82 now (Thankfully, I'm not drinking as much beer as I used to.). Table 1 below shows the 1978 paychecks for each position and the related size of those paychecks in today's dollars.

TABLE 1: 2003 $ value of 1978 Pay
Year

FO B737 CA B737 Cap B747
1978 $70,000 $100,000 $174,000

2003 $197,400 $282,00 $493,500

That is depressing

1990 NWA 12 Year 747 Captain... Approx. $185,000/annually

2006 NWA 12 Year 747 Captain... Approx. $141,000/annually

Only a $44,000 decrease you say?

Well, "you do the math" concerning COL / Inflation / Buying Power.

It ain't a "linear" type thing...

YKW

P.S.- Compare the upward progression of Airline Management Salaries over the same period...And while you're at it, Plumbers, Lawyers, Brick Layers, Janitors, CPA's, and Minimum Wage Workers.

No one...NO ONE, is a collectively more "Dumb-Ass" group than those involved in our so-called "Proud Profession".

AA thanks for that post. It should be mandatory reading for the Unions to get out of this mode of subsidizing the cost of doing business in 2006.

Problem is the leadership of ALPA isn't suffering like their members are so they don't care.

JP4user said:
AA thanks for that post. It should be mandatory reading for the Unions to get out of this mode of subsidizing the cost of doing business in 2006.

Problem is the leadership of ALPA isn't suffering like their members are so they don't care.

JP.

No problem, here is a link to the rest of the article..

Regards,

AA

http://www.landings.com/_landings/stories/captainicarus.html

JP4user said:

STFD: IF YOU CAN"T DO BUSINESS< SHUT THE PLACE DOWN.

NO CONCESSIONS

Latest resources

Back