• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DC-8s, anyone???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I called over there to inquire on instructor positions. They didn't seem as though they were interested. I take it they like sub 60 line flyers in the sim. The Chief sounds like a strait shooter.

Haulingthemail, should have sought some good representation. I understand we all have to be put in our place sometime, its a fact of life. However, when its serious enough to hold this much animosity anyone can tell that this guy went before the chief alone and was hurt. A Sr capt or a rep should have been there. Now, you have a young pup flying charters with a chip on shoulder. Unfortunately its too small of a world for that and its the wrong attitude to instill in someone.

Nervous, your on the right track. Its a fantastic piece of equipment that will still be around when all the plastic fantastic jets are shredded. After a few years in the left seat of an 8 you can pretty much handle anything. Just be careful over there and don't let yourself get burned like your buddy. CYA and watch your 6.

We're home based, and it works for the most part. You'll never pay for a hotel or for travel whether it's to the hub (Toledo), an outstation, or international, but per diem start and stop times are based on the trip you're flying, not on when you travel, so there are times when you're away from home and not receiving per diem. It's something we're looking at fixing in the next contract. Our schedules are by 28 day units, usually two units paired together for a 56 day cycle. Most lines, including scheduled reserve lines, are built with 16 days at work and 12 off per 28. Trip sequences vary in length. Some international lines are slightly longer, but the total number of days off still must equal 24 over a 56 day cycle. If you're on reserve, you can wind up staying at home until you're needed. A lot of times, you'll wind up with the more interesting charters while on reserve. We pick up all sorts of trips. I'm very senior on the FO list (as opposed to being on the bottom of the Capt list before the furloughs), but still choose to stay on reserve as I like the oddball trips and the time off.

As I said in another post, I wouldn't count on ATI as a new hire in the short term if I needed the job for stability, medical, etc, because we just don't know where we're headed. Which is a real shame. I hold management both in Little Rock and in Orlando (parent company) fully responsible for their lack of vision and attempts at bully tactics regarding our contract. There's no good reason for what we're all going through. A few of us leave now and then when something truly great comes along, and a few have been recalled by the majors, but most of us are cautiously optimistic about it all and sticking with it.

B707guy, thanks for the informative post...Thats what I was looking for...I need stability more than anything right now as the student loans have elevated to the next level......ATI is doing the type of flying I want to do, but I cant afford to be someones stop-gap to a temporary problem.....Thanks for the info!!!!!!

I definitely meet the posted requirements, but what are competitive qualifications for ATI? Do you need to have turbojet time, or does turbine time suffice?

Last edited:
Well, all I can say is that the answer's "no" if you don't send anything in. I really don't know what might be considered competitive, except that scabs need not apply, and if they like you in the interview and think you can handle our schedule, you're ahead of the game. We've hired from all sources over the years, including many from turboprop regionals. We've also got quite a few with military backgrounds (most PFEs as you may guess are ex-military), a number of folks furloughed from majors, although most of them have been recalled, which is partly why we're looking to hire, some corporate, you name it. As I mentioned, we have no idea where we're headed. Could be some great things coming down the pike, could be doom and gloom. If any of you get an interview, ask around (maybe not in the interview itself ;) ...) about the future and what's really going on, since things seem to change daily around here. I hope we're not looking to hire just to cover peak (Christmas season) only to lay anyone off again come January, but given our current diet of fecal matter and darkness of late, it wouldn't surprise me. It would, however, disappoint me greatly because we as a whole deserve better. Definitely apply if you think you'd like the job. Let them tell you yes or no and then make your decision. I have no direct information, but my gut tells me we're looking to have a pool of applicants "in case" things improve and we need more bodies. If so, the worst part of that "plan" is that we'd automatically be behind in training and qualifying those needed people from the get go. But I'd rather see that than hire, train, qualify, lay off. We'll just have to see what pans out.

In the meantime, I've never missed a paycheck, we've never had to pay cash for hotels, we do some really neat stuff all around the world, and we have some of the finest folks to work with.

Just out of curiosity, what does a first year FO make? I didn't see anything on airlinepilotcentral.com.

Just out of curiosity, what does a first year FO make? I didn't see anything on airlinepilotcentral.com.

You'll be furloughed in less than a year, so I wouldn't worry to much about what you are going to make. Worry more about how much you will lose in the process of unemployment.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back