• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DC-8s, anyone???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How is the airplane set up for long haul flying? I've seen some pretty sh#%ty looking DC-8's in the cargo world. Bunks? Ovens? Toilets? Catering? Thanks.

How is the airplane set up for long haul flying? I've seen some pretty sh#%ty looking DC-8's in the cargo world. Bunks? Ovens? Toilets? Catering? Thanks.

No bunks (you get really good at sleeping while hanging in the should straps), there is an oven, catering is usually OK from the states and from my experience very good coming out of the other countries. One toilet, which by the way doesn't make 32 special forces guys very happy.

No offense buddy,

But if your decision to join the long-haul crowd at 1,001 TT hinges upon the creature comforts of a 30+ year old aircraft, then I would personally recommend you stick it out till SWA calls you.

You're just not going to win over any freight dogs over here with that prima donna shtick about yucky old DC-8s.

Sounds like a blast. Too bad it seems unstable. Old airplanes are the best airplanes. Are those bad johnnies the origional "fly by wire"?

Gotta go with NERVOUS on that one. Creature comforts are minimal, and we're proud of that. No whining. Plenty of other things to whine about! Sometimes, we actually have ice for the cooler, too. No bunks, but we're limited to the 12/24, 20/48, 24/72 thing, and don't use any IROs or anything. We used to have a run where we carried an extra captain, but that was a while back and wouldn't fly now. Catering's the usual fare. Some pretty darn good, some not so. There aren't many underweight crewmembers here. OK, there aren't any.

Seriously, if those are even secondary factors in where you want to work, you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

Unfortunately, our ex-sub-gruntled Tasmanian mail boy above may be right about the hiring future. The situation is absolutely unforgivable, but that seems to be our direction in the short term.

No offense buddy,

But if your decision to join the long-haul crowd at 1,001 TT hinges upon the creature comforts of a 30+ year old aircraft, then I would personally recommend you stick it out till SWA calls you.

You're just not going to win over any freight dogs over here with that prima donna shtick about yucky old DC-8s.

Sounded like you intended it to be a little offensive, sorry - I was just curious. If it helps you out the last compleated page of my log book has me at just over 4000 hours, and that was 3 months ago. I didn't know that quick profile ment so much to some.

Sounded like you intended it to be a little offensive, sorry - I was just curious. If it helps you out the last compleated page of my log book has me at just over 4000 hours, and that was 3 months ago. I didn't know that quick profile ment so much to some.

OOOOOOOOOOO, 4,000+ he's ready for the majors. Why waste your time with the freights, apply to Delta as a captain.

Got the formal app yesterday. I'll put it in but I'm leary of being a temp... I have a family to feed. Hopefully they're serious about looking for long term folks.

Got the formal app yesterday. I'll put it in but I'm leary of being a temp... I have a family to feed. Hopefully they're serious about looking for long term folks.

Ask around, there are still guy sout on furlough that are seriously thinking about not going back because ot the temp postion. they are short and need a few extra hands till the end of peak, then you'll be out on the street.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back