• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dayjets closing doors TODAY

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least they compensated their pilots well, unlike other startups with much larger aircraft.

Do you think paying jet pilots $50K per year is generous? I don't - regardless of the QOL (and the ability to live in very expensive Florida dayports - Boca ain't cheap).

Another blow to the industry. I'm sad for all who lost their jobs.

However I have little sympathy for the corporate founders. The idea was impractical, pie-in-the sky stuff using an impractical airplane in an impractical market. I suspect it amounts to yet another swindling of dumb-azz investors.

I sure hate to hear this, not only for the employees but also for the business model itself. It was a bold plan and I commend them for attempting it, sadly though, their timing could not have been much worse and this is a very unforgiving industry.

Actually, it wasn't a bold plan but rather a stupid plan. I'm not the least bit surprised. I hate to see people lose their jobs, but having a tool like Oz running the place what would you expect?

Do you think paying jet pilots $50K per year is generous? I don't - regardless of the QOL (and the ability to live in very expensive Florida dayports - Boca ain't cheap).
I never said that the compensation was "generous".

Do you think paying jet pilots 20K a year with 50 pax in the back is ok? Obviously they set the pay bar quite a bit higher than the rest out there, regionals and fractionals. In comparison, they paid their pilots well for a plane with 2 crew and only 3 pax.

Actually, it wasn't a bold plan but rather a stupid plan. I'm not the least bit surprised. I hate to see people lose their jobs, but having a tool like Oz running the place what would you expect?
It was a bold plan. The problem that I saw was that they did not advertise to the public whatsoever. And I mean zero marketing. Most folks who would utilize their services and increase their load factor knew nothing about them.

Sad.

Not operating the the most charter intensive areas of the U.S. (NY, NJ, DC, IL, OH, TX, and CA) was an incredibly bad tactical blunder from day one.

Rule number one of business charter:
Go where the business IS.

I'm truly sorry for everyone who lost their jobs.

You don't think south FL is a charter intensive area? Really?

It is often a thin line between bold and stupid and the outcome determines how you are judged...

Last edited:
I thought that Day Jet ran a computer based scenario program for months and said that they're business plan was flawless?
I guess one can trick a computer into believing something is a good idea as easy as it is to trick investors.

I remember the first class I ever had on computers (back when they filled entire rooms). If there is one thing that has stayed constant in the world of computers, it is the first statement the professor made: Garbage In, Garbage Out

Latest resources

Back