• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

dashs are not that slow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmmm...well, all I know is that when we get our mighty 1900 pushed back in PHX it's a mad dash (no pun intended) to beat our company Dash out to the runway. It kinda sucks to be behind them, especially in the summer with the VCM inop. It's pretty much a tie in cruise, but they climb out SOOOOO slow that we are forever getting slowed and vectored if we get stuck behind them. Every once and awhile we can convince ATC to give us a climb to a higher altitude behind the Dash, and they will end up holding them down while we cruise over the top of them...wooohooo! This usually makes for some good natured ribbing on company. Is this a cool job, or what?!

I have got some time in a 1900 before a started flying the Dash. The 1900D is a awesome flying machine. Overpowered, easy to hand fly, great in ice (flew it in the Northeast, tons of ice) and its nice being able to hold 240kias till a 3 mile final, u could never do that in the Dash.
I would love to get my hands on that Dash 8 Q400, its suppose to a monster (350 True) and if the flight segment is less then 500 miles, it does it in the same time as a jet. Oppps, but its got props and there for boats... :)

I think dashes still rule

I said true airspeed not indicated, who cares about indicated? The airplane is awesome and we can do some pretty crazy stuff on approach with it just like a 1900. My only complaint is that the air conditioning sucks in the 100 but they got most stuff ironed out in the 200/300.:D

doh

Sorry folks wanted to post this under general under somebody elses thread who was bashing the DASH:p

Big cockpit, quiet, perfect for NE regional routes, stays cool when the ducts are cleaned out. Not that I have much too compare it to, but I can't complain.

Landed on RWY 15 at DCA this morning, made the right turn at S and slid right into spot I (india), from touchdown to setting the parking brake was less than 20 seconds.

About 1000ft from the RWY end total distance and less than 800 from touchdown didn't use any reverse and just light braking, fun airplane.

After DCA and LGA my next favorite is landing 35 in PHL while playing chicken with the 27R traffic. How close can you get? I like being able to count the wrinkles in the mainline capts face as he slides from right to left just before we touch on the far side of the 35/27R intersection and ride the wheely to the end for spot 15, then its a hop, skip and jump down the jetway to the food court for some burbon cat, I mean chicken or a slice of way way overpriced pizza. :D

O well, now its off to the dinosaur for the evening

Hum!

I would have to say the AT72 is a pretty good bird! Not as fun to fly as the J41 but rommy cockpit and much quieter. The "Cloud Plow" will true out at 270kts all day no matter the weight. Also rarely, maybe once a year, have we been load limited (66 pax and 100 bags with 4800lbs of fuel)
Drawbacks are the lack of an APU or any kind of air flow especially in the summer. Also it is a weak climber....500'-700' per minute out of 10,000'.
Just my 2 cents

Oh Yeah.....TWO flight attendants is pretty nice also!

Texanpilot,

Is that 70k before or after beer and cigarettes? And by the way the dash in a piece of $hit.

I miss my Dash. I loved that airplane. Yup, its slow. So what. Set up the KNS, couple the autopilot, and watch the scenery creep by. Just try not to get stuck behind one.

Pretty cool what it would do when you slowed it up though. Don't upset a Dash driver when you're trying to follow him down final. He's likely to throw out 35 degrees of flap, and slow it up to about 90 kts. Certainly wouldn't work in my Brasilia. Climbing out at 95 kts with 15 degrees of flap was pretty darn cool too.

Kinda funny, when I was flying the Dash up in the Northeast, BEagle Saabs were constantly whining about getting stuck behind us. Now, in the Brasilia in DFW I'm the one getting slowed by 30 or 40 knots to follow the BEagle Saabs. All comes full circle I guess.

340'. YGHB, Landing North, Brakes and Rev. Didn't spill the coffee in the POS holder. Walked up the hill to check the surf. about 8' on the face, long lefts, Hurricane to the NE.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back