• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dam oshkosh

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I dont know about a good safety record. Every year on they have a few incidents, and accidents. Go to ntsb.gov and type in oshkosh, you will get 26 pages worth of results, then look at the dates.

siucavflight said:
I dont know about a good safety record. Every year on they have a few incidents, and accidents. Go to ntsb.gov and type in oshkosh, you will get 26 pages worth of results, then look at the dates.
I did that, and put in OSHKOSH, and Wisconsin, and between now an 2000, got 2 pages. 3 fatals in 2001, including the one I saw.
One of the fatal was in April, not connected with the show.

I did the same search for Lakeland, got 3 pages, 8 fatals, same time period.

Last edited:
ISaidRightTurns said:
Its not just VFR PPs though. I can't tell you how often I clear people for a visual approach after they call the field in sight and they won't cancel. I work several uncontrolled fields where my frequencies won't work on the ground, so after they read back the 'cleared visual approach' part; I tell them my frequency won't work on the ground, they may cancel now or call FSS on the ground. They have no clue. I would guess 70% of pilots are clueless.

You must be a little "clueless" yourself. Most FAA issued opsspecs under Part 135 do not allow for cancelling IFR unless the crew is in direct contact with...well, let me quote the following from a typical opspec C77:

"Uncontrolled airports: The flightcrew is in direct communciation with an air/ground communications facility or agent of the certificate holder that provides airport traffic advisories and information that is pertinent to conditions on and around the landing surface during the terminal phase of flight; and the flight is operated within 10 nautical miles of the destination airport, or visual reference with the landing surface is established and can be maintained throughout the approach and landing."

If some sort of incident should occur, I don't think the resulting investigation would indicate that just because the pilot was communicating with the teenage lineboy hired last week meant they were in direct comm with someone who could safely provide the required information.

There are also considerations for minimum altitudes to be flown which may allow the pilot to maintain required visual contact with the airport or a preceeding aircraft but not required separation from clouds (ie...one may only be 200 ft below the ceiling until initiating final descent).

Also, cancelling IFR early eliminates all SAR protections built into the system. A lot of company ops procedures do not allow for cancelling until landing.

Lastly, our tax dollars pay for the IFR system and a lot of us fully intend to use it to our benefit...not yours.

sky37d said:
I did that, and put in OSHKOSH, and Wisconsin, and between now an 2000, got 2 pages. 3 fatals in 2001, including the one I saw.
One of the fatal was in April, not connected with the show.

I did the same search for Lakeland, got 3 pages, 8 fatals, same time period.

I think that I would stay away from lakeland also, it is just that I do most of my flying in northern Illinois so when OSH is going on I get a real good idea on these peoples piloting skills.

Like I said the people who go to OSH during airventure think that they are real good pilots. The pilots who are good enough to fly into OSH during airventure stay far away from that place.

I saw a fatal crash on the grounds at Oshkosh, small airplane lost it, and the next thing I saw was a big black cloud.

This time of year

There was rumor of a fatal in an RV on 9-27 on Saturday. Never heard if it was more with than a rumor.

123.45 is hillarious this time of year.

Also, left downwind arrivals on 18 on Saturday with a good tailwind made for some interesting overshoots of final. It's always nice to see a cessna cross controlled over a camping area at 100 feet.

Boat

Yes, I must be clueless. I am, of course, not referring to 121 or 135 ops. We are talking singles here. Gramps flying around without a clue.

From now on I will full dissolve and dilute my posts as to eliminate any confussion.

IfIHadABoat said:
There was rumor of a fatal in an RV on 9-27 on Saturday. Never heard if it was more with than a rumor.

Boat
Not fatal.
there were 2
Regis#: 619BS Make/Model: EXP Description: EXP-
Date: 07/24/2005 Time: 1704

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
ACFT MADE A HARD LANDING ON ITS RIGHT SIDE, OSHKOSH, WI

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 1653Z 25011G15KT 10SM CLR 33/23 A2979

Here was the RV

Regis#: 9PT Make/Model: RV6 Description: RV-6
Date: 07/24/2005 Time: 0036

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Minor

DESCRIPTION
ACFT ON LANDING, LANDED SHORT AND FLIPPED OVER, OSHKOSH, WI

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 1 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 0053Z 18010KT 10SM CLR 23/20 A2997

Looks like the RV was lucky. Probably got slow in the conga line.

A P-51 crashed during the airshow yesterday.

RIP, and condolences to the family.

suen1843 said:
You must be a little "clueless" yourself. Most FAA issued opsspecs under Part 135 do not allow for cancelling IFR unless the crew is in direct contact with...well, let me quote the following from a typical opspec C77:

"Uncontrolled airports: The flightcrew is in direct communciation with an air/ground communications facility or agent of the certificate holder that provides airport traffic advisories and information that is pertinent to conditions on and around the landing surface during the terminal phase of flight; and the flight is operated within 10 nautical miles of the destination airport, or visual reference with the landing surface is established and can be maintained throughout the approach and landing."

If some sort of incident should occur, I don't think the resulting investigation would indicate that just because the pilot was communicating with the teenage lineboy hired last week meant they were in direct comm with someone who could safely provide the required information.

There are also considerations for minimum altitudes to be flown which may allow the pilot to maintain required visual contact with the airport or a preceeding aircraft but not required separation from clouds (ie...one may only be 200 ft below the ceiling until initiating final descent).

Also, cancelling IFR early eliminates all SAR protections built into the system. A lot of company ops procedures do not allow for cancelling until landing.

Lastly, our tax dollars pay for the IFR system and a lot of us fully intend to use it to our benefit...not yours.

Hey Glasshouses, hang on to that stone a minute...

We're talking about Oshkosh, you're talking about part 135. It also takes a real jerk not to cancel IFR on a clear day into the busiest GA airport in America. Finally, those controllers are awarded that spot. It's a coveted thing, and not something they dole out to lineboys.

Latest resources

Back