Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Flying today in the Northern Illinois Southern Wisconsin area and listening to the people trying to pick up flight following from RFD and MKE was hillarious.

I am absolutely convinced that most of the people who fly into OSH for this show think that they are really good pilots. When in reality the really good pilots know better than to try and fly into central Wisconsin during the end of July and early August. These people are amatures and while funny to laugh at on the radio are really a flying hazard.

P.S. Just cause you fly a T-6 does not mean that you should be automatically granted an overhead pattern.

Its not just VFR PPs though. I can't tell you how often I clear people for a visual approach after they call the field in sight and they won't cancel. I work several uncontrolled fields where my frequencies won't work on the ground, so after they read back the 'cleared visual approach' part; I tell them my frequency won't work on the ground, they may cancel now or call FSS on the ground. They have no clue. I would guess 70% of pilots are clueless.

siucavflight said:
I am absolutely convinced that most of the people who fly into OSH for this show think that they are really good pilots. When in reality the really good pilots know better than to try and fly into central Wisconsin during the end of July and early August. .
Have you ever flown into OSH during Airventure??
Joining a 15 mile long conga line, with land on the green dot, is a challenge. The controllers there do an excellent job. However, one year, I was IFR out of there, and the told me to come onto the runway, get rolling, but not to much because we're waiting for the plane that just landed to get off the runway. There wasn't much runway left when he finally told me to hit it and go.
Also, you do your best landings, because about 10,000 people are watching your landing.

sky37d said:
Have you ever flown into OSH during Airventure??
Joining a 15 mile long conga line, with land on the green dot, is a challenge. The controllers there do an excellent job. However, one year, I was IFR out of there, and the told me to come onto the runway, get rolling, but not to much because we're waiting for the plane that just landed to get off the runway. There wasn't much runway left when he finally told me to hit it and go.
Also, you do your best landings, because about 10,000 people are watching your landing.

That is what I am talking about. Right now with everyone going to airventure.

What's really funny is how many of them fly over the DZ without so much as a hello.

One of these years we're going to see a collision between a skydiver and an EAA'r and it's not going to be pretty.

siucavflight said:
Flying today in the Northern Illinois Southern Wisconsin area and listening to the people trying to pick up flight following from RFD and MKE was hillarious.

I am absolutely convinced that most of the people who fly into OSH for this show think that they are really good pilots. When in reality the really good pilots know better than to try and fly into central Wisconsin during the end of July and early August. These people are amatures and while funny to laugh at on the radio are really a flying hazard.

P.S. Just cause you fly a T-6 does not mean that you should be automatically granted an overhead pattern.

Yeah, they aught to shoot them all down, all those private pilots that weren't born with 2000 hours and all the FAA ratings. The Military needs an attitude adjustment also. To think a 20 year old child can attempt to pilot a 50 million dollar fighter jet with what 200 hours. :p

Pride and Ego is the destroyer of men.

Last edited:
What are the statistics for accidents / incidents due to the large volume of traffic arriving and departing OshKosh every year? Do they happen frequently, or is the safety record pretty good?

User997 said:
What are the statistics for accidents / incidents due to the large volume of traffic arriving and departing OshKosh every year? Do they happen frequently, or is the safety record pretty good?
As I recall, the record is pretty good, however, about 4 years ago, we were just getting off the highway, (we drove that year), and someone got too slow, stalled, 1/2 from the runway. Fatal.
I think that overall, it has a better safety record than sn-n-fn, but that is purely speculation.

Latest resources

Back