DALPA Rep Says no go to merger....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dead Horse?

Just about everyone expects this deal to be back in some form, probably without the contract goodies for the pilots' consent (since we did not consent we don't get the goodies).

In the mean time a flow of information probably helps us manage our expectations and gives us better SA.

The DAL/NWA deal is more compelling the more you look at it. We can limp along hoping our airlines' break even with $100+ oil, or we could be a Company with a greater income than the big cargo boys and with sufficient funding to grow and compete on the World market.

I do not want the pain of SLI integration either, but 20 years from now we might wish that we had swallowed the pill while it had a nice candy shell.

Last edited:
Dead Horse?

Just about everyone expects this deal to be back in some form, probably without the contract goodies for the pilots' consent (since we did not consent we don't get the goodies).

I don't know who your "everyone" is but if you talk to your rep you will get a different picture. We haven't talked to NWA in over a week. No SLI, which apparently neither side is budging on, No deal.

I don't know who your "everyone" is but if you talk to your rep you will get a different picture. We haven't talked to NWA in over a week. No SLI, which apparently neither side is budging on, No deal.
What stops management from simply imposing a merger?

It was surprising to hear Delta management say that this merger did not meet their principles because it did not protect the seniority of Delta employees. A manager, principles, cool. That's part of the reason I like the team running DAL right now.

But hedge funds flat don't care about principles, or employees. Lee Moak and his team did an outstanding job getting us to the table. However, now that pilots have demonstrated that we are incapable of doing business we might just get kicked back to the job we were hired to do - fly the airplanes.

Last edited:
Unless you grow, A LOT, you'll be stagnating for the next 13 years as you have hardly any retirements kicking in until 2020. By that time NWA will roll 1/2 it's list.

Schwanker

What again is your replacement for all of your DC9s? E190s? Will it pay less? So, your replacement for 1/4 to 1/3 of your fleet will be smaller planes. Sounds like a lot to be gained. We are growing at a large rate, and more 777LRs (needing more Captains) will arrive. A lot of the flights have 2 Captains and 2 FOs. There is your growth. We also plan to get more MD90s to fill in the West Coast flying currently done by unprofitable RJs. Again, more growth. You are staring at DC9s and 742s, wondering when and where they will go. Eventually they will, and high oil prices will make it sooner. How did the first 787 flight go? Wait, when will that be?

Bye Bye--General Lee

The DL relative seniority deal on the table will have many of us stagnating for years in our bases unless we're willing to commute to the DC-9. At $125/hr it's not much more than my beaten down rate is now. I don't want any part of it.

Hmmm, I'm looking around, and I can't seem to find a DAL rate for 100 seaters.

Oh, that's right, it's ZERO, because you gave all your 100 seat flying away. I seem to recall that DAL took win, place and show at the great flying give-a-way that they started in 1993.

Scoff all you want, but every "old, tired" DC-9 at NWA means a bunch of guys hired, and a bunch of guys holding captain. No matter how many VORs you have to tune, having guys on our property is a hell of a lot better than giving it away to ASA or Skywest.

Nu

What stops management from simply imposing a merger?

It was surprising to hear Delta management say that this merger did not meet their principles because it did not protect the seniority of Delta employees. A manager, principles, cool. That's part of the reason I like the team running DAL right now.

But hedge funds flat don't care about principles, or employees. Lee Moak and his team did an outstanding job getting us to the table. However, now that pilots have demonstrated that we are incapable of doing business we might just get kicked back to the job we were hired to do - fly the airplanes.

Fins,

Anderson would be called a hypocrite to be mad at us for squabbling at seniority integration. He and Steenland almost stopped merger talks themselves when they argued about who would be running the show. We have the same deal here. The difference is Steenland, unlike the greenbook merger committee chairman, could see the value of a good merger. Anderson did not back down, and neither will we. The NWA pilots cannot spell "fair." Did the arbitrator with USAir and AWA give the USAir guys credit for all of their "experience?" Nope.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Oh, that's right, it's ZERO, because you gave all your 100 seat flying away. I seem to recall that DAL took win, place and show at the great flying give-a-way that they started in 1993.

Scoff all you want, but every "old, tired" DC-9 at NWA means a bunch of guys hired, and a bunch of guys holding captain. No matter how many VORs you have to tune, having guys on our property is a hell of a lot better than giving it away to ASA or Skywest.

Nu

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!:beer:

NuGuy:

Your DC-9 replacements are configured just like Delta's.

DAL's 100 seat rate is a minimum of:
$126.34 to $138 on the 737-200, 700 - CA
$106.40 to 115.90 on the E Jet - CA
$49.61 to $94.69 on the 737-200, 700 - FO
$49.61 to $79.16 on the E Jet - FO

Compare this to NWA's DC-9 rate
$30 to $85 FO
$115 to $126 CA

We have 10 737-700's coming (growth, starting this fall for Central America) and 25 orders. How about you? Seems like Steenland said 72 larger RJ's. Delta Connection is actually reducing block hours flown this year.

Superpilot - Winner? Don't you need to be studying the DFGS, VNAV and FMC? Oh yeah, nevermind.

Last edited:

Nu

Yes there most certainly are rates for this size/class of airplane. Just because its not published on airlinepilotcentral doesnt mean it does not exist.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!:beer:

We have E190 rates, E195 rates, and CR9 rates for mainline(anything over 76 seats for that CR9 has to be mainline).

BTW, have you studied how to read SID/STARs again? Coming off the E145 and going to the DC9 will be a rude awakening. Review looking at maps and reading those SID/STARs. No more magic box.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back