DALPA: "Clear out lockers" (merged)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
800 dog not to flame or cause a roit here, but if a Delta pilot has been out of college an average of 25 years (Figuring the average DAL pilot is 47 years old). The value of a college degree in the job market looses a lot of its job seeking power. I have a BS and a Master's in business and have looked for jobs outside of aviation in my early 50's, there is not many jobs out there. I use the example of my college degreed brother at GM in management, been there almost 28 years does not make as much as the new proposed DAL salaries. So for all the DAL guys who think they will jump into something close to what they are making now when they shut the place down, good luck. Let us know how the job hunt went.

We have covered this before. The Delta group is younger than ever before. I would guess the average age is 42. I do not think anyone expects to just "jump" into something just as good. It will take some effort and as my Father has always said, nothing in life worthwhile is easy. I am 33 and not the least bit worried.

h25b said:
Nobody will be able to just jump out and make anything close to what they would make, even after concessions..

Including Delta's management employees. For them, the pilots have their future in their hands, so they better not p!ss them off. Might just be too late, not too many management jobs at other carriers that they can walk into. I would see myself ordering a Big Mac from a former Delta management type before any pilot.

I think the second half of the memo was droped...it read: "Clear out your lockers to make room for the retired Capt.s who will be coming back to fly under the new TA that 51% of us will pass."

Come on guys...who are you kidding. We have all heard this chest thumping before from DAL, UAL, USA and NWA pilots. It was DALPA that aggreed to let retired guys come back to fly while junior folks were on furlough yes?

Much love,
Mickey

The Village has a new Idiot

D'Angelo said:
The reason people are cheering the delta guys on is they want someone outta the loop so they can get more flying for themselves. No more brotherhood, no more unity, every man for himself is the name of this game!

Speak for yoursel, jackass. No line pilots that I know of are hoping for the demise of Delta, it would just bring in Southwest and other LCC's and our management would just come crying to us for pay cuts.

Nope, most of us see the big picture, D'Analho' . . . . . . too bad that you don't. Maybe you should have yourself a nice, warm cup of STFU until you've been in this industry (and in this world) a little longer.

Ty Webb said:
Speak for yoursel, jackass. No line pilots that I know of are hoping for the demise of Delta, it would just bring in Southwest and other LCC's and our management would just come crying to us for pay cuts.

Nope, most of us see the big picture, D'Analho' . . . . . . too bad that you don't. Maybe you should have yourself a nice, warm cup of STFU until you've been in this industry (and in this world) a little longer.

The big picture is the market is setting the wages end of story. If delta goes under your company has a big stake. Could mean instant extra growth right there. You cant tell me with a straight face you wouldnt be happy for all that extra growth. You will just play the Pilot "but its not our fault" game.You will also be laughing your way to the bank at the pilots who thought they could actually make a difference

MickeySlapnutz said:
I think the second half of the memo was droped...it read: "Clear out your lockers to make room for the retired Capt.s who will be coming back to fly under the new TA that 51% of us will pass."

Come on guys...who are you kidding. We have all heard this chest thumping before from DAL, UAL, USA and NWA pilots. It was DALPA that aggreed to let retired guys come back to fly while junior folks were on furlough yes?

Much love,
Mickey

That is not how it happened. We allowed "retired" pilots come back for a specific amount of time because Dalpa had a 24 hour notice policy to retire. IF 400 guys retired in one day (usually the end of a month--but not for certain since the GATT rate was controlling people's minds), whole fleets would be parked. If every 777 Captain retired in one day, that whole fleet would be parked----get it yet? This was all due to that policy, and neither Dalpa nor the senior guys wanting to leave, wanted to ditch that policy--since a small difference in the Gatt rate meant more money in their pockets as they retired early. Having 2300 pilots leave actually saved many more from getting furloughed, and it brought back over 800 of the furloughed pilots out there.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
D'Angelo said:
The big picture is the market is setting the wages end of story. If delta goes under your company has a big stake. Could mean instant extra growth right there. You cant tell me with a straight face you wouldnt be happy for all that extra growth. You will just play the Pilot "but its not our fault" game.You will also be laughing your way to the bank at the pilots who thought they could actually make a difference

The market is setting the wages? How about management adds $5 to each fare? The planes are all full, and extra revenue would mean less pay cuts. The managements are trying to set the wages, not the marketplace. Wake up.

Bye Bye--General Lee

h25b said:
I agree. Those on here saying to STFD and just go on to another profession are foolish. Nobody will be able to just jump out and make anything close to what they would make, even after concessions..
Really Einstein?
I am furloughed, but make more working PART TIME in the AF reserves. One of the guys in my reserve unit went back after recall - and I make 200-900 more a month, after tax, than he does. Any other brilliant posts??!?!!?

Latest resources

Back