• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL Uniforms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most captain's at DL do the walk around on the FO's leg. Not universal but almost, but if you need a "stocking cap" I can see that going out the window more often.

Quite true. We follow the simple 50/50 rule: If it's sunny, above 50F, there's a 50% the CA will pre-flight on your leg:)

Quite true. We follow the simple 50/50 rule: If it's sunny, above 50F, there's a 50% the CA will pre-flight on your leg:)

I've even found that alot of the CA's won't even follow that rule and will do it regardless.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the leather jackets-especially not with the uniform. I always thought they looked pretty poseur-ish wearing them out as well...maybe they are a bit before my time.

I flew in the NWA system for a bit over 3 years.. the overcoat worked fine, but I did bring a stocking cap for canadian and MN/WI ops.

I've even found that alot of the CA's won't even follow that rule and will do it regardless. Maybe that tradition will wear off on NWA Captains, they need the exercise! ;)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the leather jackets-especially not with the uniform. I always thought they looked pretty poseur-ish wearing them out as well...maybe they are a bit before my time. I agree, I'm not a fan of the leather jacket (or the hat, but if it's limited to winter then I'll deal with it!).

I flew in the NWA system for a bit over 3 years.. the overcoat worked fine, but I did bring a stocking cap for canadian and MN/WI ops.

:beer:

Do NWA guys have the leather? I had it at my previous airline and I really miss wearing it (definitely warmer, and I thought it looked good). I wish management would let us get leather jackets after the merger.

Heyas,

Yep. They were introduced about 2 years ago.

They are VERY convienent, especially if you're on the -9, where closet/bag space is limited. They look 10x better than the overcoats.

I got mine with the zip-out thinsulate lining. VERY warm, and pretty much immune to snow/sleet/freezing rain/oil.

The northern tier is REALLY cold, unless you happen to be from up there, and really windy. The overcoats just didn't cut it, and you were always fussing with trying to stash it, along with your blazer (not to mention a coat for your layovers, unless you wanted to look like a twink). The single breasted coat made you look like a flasher, and the double brested one was always dragging it's belt.

No one ever bothered to take theirs to the cleaner, and along with being stuffed into so many places, they all looked really bad, IMHO.

The leather jackets might not be needed for ATL or MEM, but up in MSP/DTW, they were a godsend.

Dunno...maybe the -9/-88 guys can keep them. Sort of a "badge of honor" type thing.

Nu

Here's my take on the leather jacket thing. First, I had one at XJT and rather liked it for the first few years. But, my last few years for some reason I never wore it.

Now, for my point, the XJT pilot group had the most "ununiform" uniform in the industry. We all looked different because there were so many options. Hat/no hat, Leather/blazer, coat/no coat, overcoat, sweater with or without blazer/leather. A pilot could wear any combination of the above any time of the year.

Now, at Delta, everyone looks the same (except in NYC, but that's another topic) and I like it. Personally, I don't care what the uniform is I just want us to all look the same.

Here's my take on the leather jacket thing. First, I had one at XJT and rather liked it for the first few years. But, my last few years for some reason I never wore it.

Now, for my point, the XJT pilot group had the most "ununiform" uniform in the industry. We all looked different because there were so many options. Hat/no hat, Leather/blazer, coat/no coat, overcoat, sweater with or without blazer/leather. A pilot could wear any combination of the above any time of the year.

Now, at Delta, everyone looks the same (except in NYC, but that's another topic) and I like it. Personally, I don't care what the uniform is I just want us to all look the same.

Spoken like a true Communist!

Heyas,

Fair enough, but that's not really in my top two, which are:

Personal Comfort - including warmth, resistance to the elements, etc.

Convienence - Easy to pack or store, and may provide a secondary use (IE layovers).

Frankly, if you are an FO, doing multiple legs a day, where you walk around outside exposed to relatively harsh weather (which includes snow, wind, ice, and rain, as well as oil and de-ice fluid) and then have to do the dance, colliding with your partner/FA/passengers while you try to square your blazer AND overcoat away in a tiny sliver of space during a 20 minute turn, you get to appriciate the leather coat all that much more. Schlepping the overcoat around during airplane swaps makes it that much less inviting.

If you are a barge captain, where you set sail once a duty period, it's probably not that big a deal.

Personally, I could care less about the "cool" factor, and looking like all the other "star-bellied sneeches" is pretty far down my list. I see it as a tool that lets me get about my job a little more efficiently.

Nu

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back