• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL resume hiring in Oct

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
6 777's @ 38 pilots per plane + 10 737's @ 18 pilots per plane = a need for 408 new pilots.

Reserve staffing for June on NYC 7ER: 43 required, negative 10 available on 9 days with not a single day better then 12 available.

Every single June day in LAX is negative, the MD88 has negative days and I haven't seen a single category that's close to being even staffed (even Capt's are getting multi greenslips right now)

So we either need to a.) hire more pilots or b.) even a large cut in capacity will be absorbed.

Either way, I don't see displacements or furloughs here unless we start parking widebody's (not the FA's, the planes)
The 73N in LAX is fully staffed...

I was scheduled for an interview but it was canceled. Did you get the email because you were scheduled too?

I never got the email.

This was a different email due to my position in the company. I would think that you would be toward the top of the stack if you were waiting on an interview that was alreay scheduled, albeit that is pure speculation on my part. Good luck! (we all need it)

General,

First I don't work for DL or NWA, so don't have a dog in this fight. However, just want to 'enlighten' you.

From DL own info; they list about half of their MD-88 fleet as 'owned' (not leased), about 63 a/c, and also shows only about 18 of those a/c with financing/ETCs (enhanced trust certificates/bonds) attached to them. And, in their 767-300 fleet, about 54 a/c as 'owned' with only about 10 with ETCs attached. Thus, DL has plenty of room to park more than a few a/c, with NO financial penalty; and may in fact do so to reduce capacity. And, I did even look at the 757 fleet.

Very simple 'fact' if DL announced a large# of a/c being parked, major 'cutbacks' and 'lay-offs' What do You think would happen to 'support' for the merger?? From local/state gov't, unions, etc. Simple politics.

If you think that the new DL will just continue to 'expand, expand' and add more a/c, with oil at $125-130/bbl. economy slowing even more (I personal believe we are going into a prolonged recession later this year), and European economies slowing (recently reported, First/Business class flyers in the first 4 mths of this year, down 4-5%); if you still believe the expansion will just go on and on, then maybe I can sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. It just turned 125yrs. old, took 14 yrs. to build in 1883, but still 'like new'

Just FYI, for what its worth.

PD

Thanks for the info. You may be correct about high oil and the impact it could have on European economies, but one good thing is the flexibility of our fleet. We recently added 17 757ERs to our fleet, which could substitute for 767ERs during slower seasons. Those 767ERs could be used for busier routes, or maybe seasonal routes to South America during our Winter. It is all about fliexibility. Our MD88s (some owned according to you) are now used on INTL routes from ATL, something never done before. They fly to Belize City, Roatan, Kingston, Cozumel, Cancun, and Guadalajara. The 738s hit every major island in the Carribbean, and will start Quito with the 737-700 soon. The 777LRs will fill in city pairings that will make money, with pax and cargo (like our new PVG service that is doing fairly well with pax, but very well with cargo). The 764s have proven to be "the shiznet" for ATL-Europe and ATL to South America pairings. It is also doing Dakar and Joberg, and the pax and cargo loads have proven to be a success, even during their Winter in Joberg. It is all about flexibility, and I have confidence that our guys at route planning are watching to find the best ways to use our assets. Two years ago who would have thunk it that an MD88 would be leaving the contiguous 48 States? Not me. Let's watch the number of RJs shrink, and hopefully our profits will go upward.

Bye Bye--General Lee

double post

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. You may be correct about high oil and the impact it could have on European economies, but one good thing is the flexibility of our fleet. We recently added 17 757ERs to our fleet, which could substitute for 767ERs during slower seasons. Those 767ERs could be used for busier routes, or maybe seasonal routes to South America during our Winter. It is all about fliexibility. Our MD88s (some owned according to you) are now used on INTL routes from ATL, something never done before. They fly to Belize City, Roatan, Kingston, Cozumel, Cancun, and Guadalajara. The 738s hit every major island in the Carribbean, and will start Quito with the 737-700 soon. The 777LRs will fill in city pairings that will make money, with pax and cargo (like our new PVG service that is doing fairly well with pax, but very well with cargo). The 764s have proven to be "the shiznet" for ATL-Europe and ATL to South America pairings. It is also doing Dakar and Joberg, and the pax and cargo loads have proven to be a success, even during their Winter in Joberg. It is all about flexibility, and I have confidence that our guys at route planning are watching to find the best ways to use our assets. Two years ago who would have thunk it that an MD88 would be leaving the contiguous 48 States? Not me. Let's watch the number of RJs shrink, and hopefully our profits will go upward.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General, "Not according to me" but according to YOUR OWN Company's website???

Don't you even know what is on your own company's website, as it states what a/c are 'owned or leased' and even states which are financed.

However, you missed the point, NOT Surprising, but DL have plenty of 'flexibility' to PARK a/c, while still taking delivery of new a/c, and still have NO Growth. Actually, may result in less capacity, fewer a/c, which would probably be a smart idea to think about right now. In fact, if DL manage does NOT have a current plan to 'possibly' cut capacity and 'pull back' seats, Then you guys are in Serious trouble.

Just a thought. Not that you will get the message or understand it. I know, DL is Great, Will continue to grow bigger and bigger, hire again this fall, and so on, and so on. Heard it already.

Bye Bye Private. Carry on.

PD

General, "Not according to me" but according to YOUR OWN Company's website???

Don't you even know what is on your own company's website, as it states what a/c are 'owned or leased' and even states which are financed.

However, you missed the point, NOT Surprising, but DL have plenty of 'flexibility' to PARK a/c, while still taking delivery of new a/c, and still have NO Growth. Actually, may result in less capacity, fewer a/c, which would probably be a smart idea to think about right now. In fact, if DL manage does NOT have a current plan to 'possibly' cut capacity and 'pull back' seats, Then you guys are in Serious trouble.

Just a thought. Not that you will get the message or understand it. I know, DL is Great, Will continue to grow bigger and bigger, hire again this fall, and so on, and so on. Heard it already.

Bye Bye Private. Carry on.

PD

Private eh? I have NEVER heard that one---you are comic along with a know it all. Fantastic. Anyway, your hypotheticals are great. Yes, high oil may hurt every airline out there except Southwest. Zippy di do. Have you really added anything to this thread? You make the case that something could happen. Great. And monkeys will most likely fly out of your butt too. Maybe our airline will buck the trend. I hope so. Maybe our airline has better management than others. I can only hope so. Thanks for reading so deep into my company's website, and for that I will call you "the Super Fan." BTW, my parents were possibly looking at buying a pair of roundtrip tickets to Zurich next March from ATL. Can you look up the fare for me on Delta.com? They want to leave on a Tuesday, and make it First Class---a window and isle next to it. Thanks for helping me out, you seem to navigate websites well...........

Bye Bye--General Lee

6 777's @ 38 pilots per plane + 10 737's @ 18 pilots per plane = a need for 408 new pilots.

Reserve staffing for June on NYC 7ER: 43 required, negative 10 available on 9 days with not a single day better then 12 available.

Every single June day in LAX is negative, the MD88 has negative days and I haven't seen a single category that's close to being even staffed (even Capt's are getting multi greenslips right now)

So we either need to a.) hire more pilots or b.) even a large cut in capacity will be absorbed.

Either way, I don't see displacements or furloughs here unless we start parking widebody's (not the FA's, the planes)

FWIW, there are probably 100-150 still in the training pipeline and once the fall comes with the reduced schedules, I think things will be close to if not staffed.

Just saw that...impressive. I haven't seen staffing like that since pre 9/11.

Too bad the rest of the LAX base can't enjoy the add/drops that you guys can.

The LAX 7ERB has 13 days with negative numbers and 9 more days with 1 or 0 reserves. Capt side isn't as bad but still has days with negative numbers and the domestic 767 there looks about the same.

Of course once a few -700's show up in the system then you guys will be just as bad as the rest of the airline (regardless where the airplanes are based...it'll all trickle down) so enjoy the perks of being staffed while you can.

MXAV8R, Do you know any guys looking to pick up flying on the 73 originating from your sister city to the north and slightly east?

FWIW, there are probably 100-150 still in the training pipeline and once the fall comes with the reduced schedules, I think things will be close to if not staffed.

Are you sure there are that many still in training? I have a friend who was near the bottom of the second to the last class hired who is doing sim sessions now. There would be less than thirty behind him.

Latest resources

Back