Dal/nwa/co

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gator1999 said:
Ahhh. The Northdeltanental rumor lives...I thought this died a while ago, glad to see it's back.

Gator,

I see you're an F1 fan. It's been nice NOT to see red dominating the podium lately.

...go Kimi!

Even though the fleet types are different, I see DL/NW. There are really no overlapping routes or hubs, and that is what helped with the AWA/US merger. DL and CO both have large hubs in NYC, and DL owns the Shuttle in LGA. That would be a monopoly, and something would have to go. Neither wants to give up a hub like that, and I think each has major obligations to the Port Authority anyway. (maybe CAL has an obligation to the State of NJ or Newark itself for the new terminal) I see CAL and United merging----with a perfect mix of INTL routes, and NW/DL would have the same (DL---Europe and South America, and NW with Asia). I predict it will be called Delwest. (better than Northta) And, I think ASA will merge with Pinnacle, and Comair will be sold to Mesa. (JMO)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure no one can aquire Continental without NWA's consent. That was part of the stock buy back deal when NWA had to sell a bunch of the Continental stock a few years ago.

There was a rumour awhile back about Continental aquiring Delta because they can buy someone else, they just can't be bought (without NWA's consent.) Seemed kinda crazy at the time, but I'm starting to believe that anything's possible in this industry.

When Richard Anderson was still CEO of NWA, he said that most of the efficiencies of a merger can be achieved through code sharing (which they are doing) without all of the costs/complications.

One factor to consider now though, is that it looks like the only way Wall Street is going to give a US airline any cash is through a merger scenario. They aren't willing to subsidize more losses but are willing to gamble on a possible shift in the status quo.

As to a possible Delta/Northwest combo, I heard a guy come up with the new name: "Delta" from Delta Airlines and "Airlines" from Northwest Airlines. Hope that never happens, but it was good for a laugh.

DL,
Yeah it's been a strange season this year in F1. Kimi ran really well yesterday, but if his and Alonso's bad luck continues, Schumi still has a chance for the championship. Just my two cents...

Tref said:
I'm pretty sure no one can aquire Continental without NWA's consent. That was part of the stock buy back deal when NWA had to sell a bunch of the Continental stock a few years ago.

There was a rumour awhile back about Continental aquiring Delta because they can buy someone else, they just can't be bought (without NWA's consent.) Seemed kinda crazy at the time, but I'm starting to believe that anything's possible in this industry.

When Richard Anderson was still CEO of NWA, he said that most of the efficiencies of a merger can be achieved through code sharing (which they are doing) without all of the costs/complications.

One factor to consider now though, is that it looks like the only way Wall Street is going to give a US airline any cash is through a merger scenario. They aren't willing to subsidize more losses but are willing to gamble on a possible shift in the status quo.

As to a possible Delta/Northwest combo, I heard a guy come up with the new name: "Delta" from Delta Airlines and "Airlines" from Northwest Airlines. Hope that never happens, but it was good for a laugh.

Look at the guys lining up to give the new USAir cash. Even Airbus went in there and made a deal. That had never been done before. NW just ordered some 787s, and Boeing is our only supplier at Delta. Who knows?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Tref,

Sorry your a little behind on your information. We are free and clear from NW, we bought our independence from them a few years ago.

COpilot,

Re-read my post. And read this from the Dept of Justice:
http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/public/press_releases/2000/6905.htm

Northwest no longer owns a controlling interest of CO, but part of the agreement is that no other airline can merge with or aquire CO without NWA's consent. I believe that is still the case today. The only loophole seems to be that CO could aquire another carrier, but it would have to be an aquisition, not a merger.

Sorry if this is bad news.

Latest resources

Back