Dal/nwa/co

jetflier

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2003
Posts
718
Total Time
lot's
I've been hearing bits and pieces of rumors about DAL/CO/NWA....possible combining......merging.......purchasing assets, etc..

Any one have any of those rumors to share here?

It's all for entertainment....

:)
 

COpilot

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Posts
410
Total Time
12,000
I passed through IAH, not to long ago, and nothing like this was burning through the crew room.

But of course anything is possible, on any given day. You know, "hey lets have a pre-packaged BK11, and put it all together." type of thing.
 

Jetjockey

Stay thirsty my friends
Joined
Feb 28, 2002
Posts
1,492
Total Time
18K+
Northdalco? Contideltnowest? Deltnorthconti? Hmmm, anyway you try it, it sounds silly to me.

I suppose anything is possible these days>
 

DL_Infidel

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Posts
76
Total Time
>5,000
jetflier said:
I've been hearing bits and pieces of rumors about DAL/CO/NWA....possible combining......merging.......purchasing assets, etc..

Any one have any of those rumors to share here?

It's all for entertainment....

:)
Entertainment indeed! That rumor was making it's way around our crew lounges a few years ago. Who knows?
 

twobits

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 10, 2004
Posts
144
Total Time
8000
Grinstein does have experience in airline mergers and acquisitions.
 

SDF2BUF2MCO

Bird Nerd
Joined
May 13, 2002
Posts
7,673
Total Time
Adding
I think all three do allow a code sharing/frequent flyer pax to get credit for flying another's carrier. For example, can fly DAL but get credit on CO FF#. Guess that may have fueled the rumor talk (?).
 

tranceport

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2002
Posts
97
Total Time
enough
I hope this merger happens so that passenger fares finally go up and we can start screwing the customer again with high prices, not just lousy service.
 

wms

billSquared
Joined
Sep 4, 2003
Posts
2,052
Total Time
10500
..... ;)
 
Last edited:

miles otoole

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2004
Posts
948
Total Time
10k+
tranceport said:
I hope this merger happens so that passenger fares finally go up and we can start screwing the customer again with high prices, not just lousy service.
Have you seen Delta's new website? It now is apparently targeted toward the leisure traveler. It certaintly doesn't appeal to the bread and butter business traveler.
Is this part of the transformation plan?
 

Gator1999

WAR KITTENS!?!
Joined
Mar 21, 2003
Posts
273
Total Time
>5000
Ahhh. The Northdeltanental rumor lives...I thought this died a while ago, glad to see it's back.
 

DL_Infidel

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Posts
76
Total Time
>5,000
Gator1999 said:
Ahhh. The Northdeltanental rumor lives...I thought this died a while ago, glad to see it's back.
Gator,

I see you're an F1 fan. It's been nice NOT to see red dominating the podium lately.

...go Kimi!
 

General Lee

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Posts
20,442
Total Time
A lot
Even though the fleet types are different, I see DL/NW. There are really no overlapping routes or hubs, and that is what helped with the AWA/US merger. DL and CO both have large hubs in NYC, and DL owns the Shuttle in LGA. That would be a monopoly, and something would have to go. Neither wants to give up a hub like that, and I think each has major obligations to the Port Authority anyway. (maybe CAL has an obligation to the State of NJ or Newark itself for the new terminal) I see CAL and United merging----with a perfect mix of INTL routes, and NW/DL would have the same (DL---Europe and South America, and NW with Asia). I predict it will be called Delwest. (better than Northta) And, I think ASA will merge with Pinnacle, and Comair will be sold to Mesa. (JMO)


Bye Bye--General Lee
 
Last edited:

Tref

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Posts
228
Total Time
>7000
I'm pretty sure no one can aquire Continental without NWA's consent. That was part of the stock buy back deal when NWA had to sell a bunch of the Continental stock a few years ago.

There was a rumour awhile back about Continental aquiring Delta because they can buy someone else, they just can't be bought (without NWA's consent.) Seemed kinda crazy at the time, but I'm starting to believe that anything's possible in this industry.

When Richard Anderson was still CEO of NWA, he said that most of the efficiencies of a merger can be achieved through code sharing (which they are doing) without all of the costs/complications.

One factor to consider now though, is that it looks like the only way Wall Street is going to give a US airline any cash is through a merger scenario. They aren't willing to subsidize more losses but are willing to gamble on a possible shift in the status quo.

As to a possible Delta/Northwest combo, I heard a guy come up with the new name: "Delta" from Delta Airlines and "Airlines" from Northwest Airlines. Hope that never happens, but it was good for a laugh.
 

Gator1999

WAR KITTENS!?!
Joined
Mar 21, 2003
Posts
273
Total Time
>5000
DL,
Yeah it's been a strange season this year in F1. Kimi ran really well yesterday, but if his and Alonso's bad luck continues, Schumi still has a chance for the championship. Just my two cents...
 

General Lee

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Posts
20,442
Total Time
A lot
Tref said:
I'm pretty sure no one can aquire Continental without NWA's consent. That was part of the stock buy back deal when NWA had to sell a bunch of the Continental stock a few years ago.

There was a rumour awhile back about Continental aquiring Delta because they can buy someone else, they just can't be bought (without NWA's consent.) Seemed kinda crazy at the time, but I'm starting to believe that anything's possible in this industry.

When Richard Anderson was still CEO of NWA, he said that most of the efficiencies of a merger can be achieved through code sharing (which they are doing) without all of the costs/complications.

One factor to consider now though, is that it looks like the only way Wall Street is going to give a US airline any cash is through a merger scenario. They aren't willing to subsidize more losses but are willing to gamble on a possible shift in the status quo.

As to a possible Delta/Northwest combo, I heard a guy come up with the new name: "Delta" from Delta Airlines and "Airlines" from Northwest Airlines. Hope that never happens, but it was good for a laugh.

Look at the guys lining up to give the new USAir cash. Even Airbus went in there and made a deal. That had never been done before. NW just ordered some 787s, and Boeing is our only supplier at Delta. Who knows?


Bye Bye--General Lee
 

COpilot

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Posts
410
Total Time
12,000
Tref,

Sorry your a little behind on your information. We are free and clear from NW, we bought our independence from them a few years ago.
 

Tref

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Posts
228
Total Time
>7000
COpilot,

Re-read my post. And read this from the Dept of Justice:
http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/public/press_releases/2000/6905.htm

Northwest no longer owns a controlling interest of CO, but part of the agreement is that no other airline can merge with or aquire CO without NWA's consent. I believe that is still the case today. The only loophole seems to be that CO could aquire another carrier, but it would have to be an aquisition, not a merger.

Sorry if this is bad news.
 
Top