• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL & CAL... In a perfect World

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am pretty sure that Delta has established a firm stance of no new pilots this year, so I guess your only choice might be CAL..... but then when UAL and CAL merge, what will you do?

I am pretty sure that Delta has established a firm stance of no new pilots this year, so I guess your only choice might be CAL..... but then when UAL and CAL merge, what will you do?

Maybe DAL has a firm stance of no new pilots this year but CAL has pilots on furlough so by looking at that metric alone would indicate DAL would hire first.

so... I know this is flightinfo, but here goes.

Let's just say that in a perfect world, both companies (DAL and CAL) hire a couple hundred folks this year (after CAL brings everyone back). I've looked into some previous threads, and let's also assume that DAL and CAL won't merge with the pick of the week (United, Alaska, etc.). Now, the biggest assumption is that let's say a guy with 28 years left for a career was hired by both companies the same day, and had to make a decision... what would be the best short and long term: career progression, pay and benefits, retirement and "security" - and why (aircraft deliveries, retirements in a few years, contract dates, etc).

Thanks in advance!!!

Delta all the way. No compression with CAL. Delta contract, pilot group and future is much better in all aspects. Even if you live in one of CAL bases you will regret going here.
But it is much harder to get hired by Delta. Good luck!

I know a few people that left CAL for SWA. One had to do with the no medical for 6 months as a new hire.
Never heard of anyone going the other way. Good way of getting that 737 type rating for free though.

Let revisit this statement in six months.

You might as well choose between Braniff and Pan Am if you are talking about this year. CO and UA will merge in 2012, which will create a situation similar to AA/TWA. DL is going to be getting rid of pesky planes like the DC-9 next year (all of them; even though they haven't publicly stated this), and replacing them with big RJ's (who knows if it will be mainline, or CHQ pilots who like to call themselves Delta pilots in the cockpit). DL might pull the 5 or 6 767ER's out of the desert summer 2011, and can crew them with the displaced -9 pilots that will go through training next winter.

CVG will shut down as a main hub in 2011 too, despite all efforts to prevent the release of this information. The -88's in CVG will take over the flying in DTW in the -9.

Delta will hire before Continental/United; however, this will be years away - not 6 months. My guess is 2.5 years.

Delta all the way. No compression with CAL. Delta contract, pilot group and future is much better in all aspects. Even if you live in one of CAL bases you will regret going here.
But it is much harder to get hired by Delta. Good luck!

Regret going to CAL?? Are you nuts? I lived in ATL and got hired at CAL, moved to Houston. Best decision I have ever done.

Not only is Houston a nicer area, but I sit reserve with CAL and barely fly.

19 hours YTD baby!!!!!!!!!!! 2010 is looking better than 2009 (220 hours total)

You might as well choose between Braniff and Pan Am if you are talking about this year. CO and UA will merge in 2012, which will create a situation similar to AA/TWA. DL is going to be getting rid of pesky planes like the DC-9 next year (all of them; even though they haven't publicly stated this), and replacing them with big RJ's (who knows if it will be mainline, or CHQ pilots who like to call themselves Delta pilots in the cockpit). DL might pull the 5 or 6 767ER's out of the desert summer 2011, and can crew them with the displaced -9 pilots that will go through training next winter.

CVG will shut down as a main hub in 2011 too, despite all efforts to prevent the release of this information. The -88's in CVG will take over the flying in DTW in the -9.

Delta will hire before Continental/United; however, this will be years away - not 6 months. My guess is 2.5 years.

Maybe maybe not.

The 50 series 9's will get parked when oil goes up. CHQ pilots will fly more 70+ seat RJ's when they hit the high water mark on the mainline fleet. I do not see this group of LEC Reps giving in on scope. If they think about it they will get recalled. Yes, that is the general consensus around here.

Latest resources

Back