• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Daily contract rate for new G-IV SIC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
REALITY --- The industry right now is rather brutal.

Zero time in type, Zero jet time, and this....

I have a lot of aviation and life experience; I have the G-IV Type Rating; I am a highly skilled and qualified aviator and PIC who just happens to lack jet time and time in type. At my level of aviation experience, background and training, there ain't anything magic about a jet ....... it's just another airplane, and so's the G-IV. Suck, squeeze, bang, blow is all the same in a T-prop, turbine helo, or jet. Yeah there's some unique aerodynamics associated with flying a swept wing jet; and some hi-alt aerodynamics and physiology stuff; but most of that is not too much different from flying a t-prop. (Yeah, I know, it is a little more complex, but not that much.)

Like others said....not disputing what you sorta say...but that attitude may be hard to sell these days.

Good Luck!

I see Gulfstream 200, you are criticizing his attitude.

Being humble will take you far in the corporate world. In my interview for the G-550 I was asked if I thought I was a great pilot, to that I answered "I dont really know what qualifies someone as a great pilot. I can fly but I honestly think that my skills are average, but everything that I do and every decision I make has safety as the most important factor, but I can assure you I am a hell of a golfer!" This answer honestly is what I believe sealed the deal for me, as the gentleman interviewing me smiled and seemed to lighten up a little bit, we then spent the next 30 minutes pretty much shooting the sh!t about golf.

I see Gulfstream 200, you are criticizing his attitude.

Being humble will take you far in the corporate world. In my interview for the G-550 I was asked if I thought I was a great pilot, to that I answered "I dont really know what qualifies someone as a great pilot. I can fly but I honestly think that my skills are average, but everything that I do and every decision I make has safety as the most important factor, but I can assure you I am a hell of a golfer!" This answer honestly is what I believe sealed the deal for me, as the gentleman interviewing me smiled and seemed to lighten up a little bit, we then spent the next 30 minutes pretty much shooting the sh!t about golf.

Cant really say "criticizing" per say...

Just giving the OPINION that one might have a hard time selling that reasoning in todays market - there are plenty of experienced, networking contract guys who cant find enough work.

The original poster seems new to corporate - zero time in jets, etc.

His approach many just need some work, especially right now.....and the above were just suggestions.

Good Luck to him either way.

You guys are brutal.

SIU--I think it's just being 'to the point'. Having been around this board for 7 or 8 years, you get over treating people with kid gloves--because this business certainly doesn't.

Nothing personal to anyone (unless they prove themselves to be, ahem, a d!ck...).

Fido and G200 have been in corporate for a LONG time and have buckets of credibility. IMO, they have yet to steer someone wrong.

How's your job pursuit going? Hopefully well. TC

Thanks to those that actually answered the question that I asked. As to the rest of you, I enjoyed the comments, very entertaining. (BTW, I didn't buy the Type.......... didn't have to, because I have such a wonderful attitude.)

Thanks to those that actually answered the question that I asked. As to the rest of you, I enjoyed the comments, very entertaining. (BTW, I didn't buy the Type.......... didn't have to, because I have such a wonderful attitude.)

....... instead of a gold watch. you are a sarcastic so and so. maybe you should have talked them into an RV.

You should be getting from $500-750 per day as a G IV crew Member. There are certainly many variables considering the type of operator you get to work with. I think you may have hindered yourself by getting the type rating first instead of finding an operator who would allow you to get typed on their certificate. Anyway, what's done is done, best of luck to you.

I charge 1000 a day. PIC or SIC doesn't matter its the same rate because I can operate as a PIC.

With NO jet time and NO gulfstream time your chances of getting in the door are slim. Your only chance would be to undercut everyone else and when someone asks me why my rate is so high (average for the NE) when they can get someone at 1/3 the rate I say you get what you pay for.

There is a problem with NO jet time. You might find employers might assume with your total time that you forgot to put it in your resume so you want to be upfront with it. I do know that when the ********************e hits the fan I'll pick up the sticks. And I'm not talking about in the air. I'm talking about ground ops. I already know what to do when a converter fan fails, or how to add oil, or how to troubleshoot a gremlin. That is where the aircraft experience comes in especially on the back side of the world.

So in reality your total time doesn't mean a thing. So that means that your no jet time and no gulfstream time is going to put you at the bottom of the callback list.

Hopefully your can do attitude, willingness to forget everything about brand X or where you came from, and ability to play nice with others will make up for it.

Good luck but you have a tough hill to climb. I gotta ask though how did you get 10000hrs with no jet time?

I gotta ask though how did you get 10000hrs with no jet time?

He's got 3,500 ME and 2,000 turbo-prop, so 1,500 of the 3,500 is probably in pistons multi's. I'm also wondering how you get to 10,000 without ever touching a fixed-wing jet aircraft.

I do have a friend who had 7,500 TT and only 300 hours of that was ME piston....he was a banner tower for a decade :lol:

He got lucky and got into a Gulfstream II for his first jet job. 4 years later he's still an SIC in the GII.

Its quite a leap to have 10k and no jet time to a Gulfstream job. Should have bought a citation or lear type, you might actually get to use it.

Really the 10k in hours is about the same as 2k.

What was your work experience? That will really be able to tell us if you have a shot.

Latest resources

Back