• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CVG based crews....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Says who?? It is obviously recognized all over the country as a type of chili. Just because it's not YOUR style doesn't mean it isn't one style.....

I have to agree. Chili is a regional thing, and you will find different kinds all across the country. Usually with everyone saying theirs is the best.

Now I like Texas chili (no beans), make a great firehouse chili, and enjoy a good Cinci 5 way from time to time. They're just different versions of the same dish.

And yes, what he said above, Skyline is way better than Gold Star. And those that have only had the one at the airport, no wonder you think it's spaghetti sauce. That's one of the worst ones.

This is not Chili, no matter what they call it in cincitucky

Cincinnati Chili Recipe 1 large onion chopped
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 (16-ounce) package uncooked dried spaghetti pasta
Toppings (see below)

AND...at Goldstar, Skyline, et al, you have to PAY EXTRA for beans and onions!!!! WTF? Isn't that normal ingredients in "chili" ?!?

Yes, it's considered a "form" of chili. Bu not a form that I'm particularly fond of. I tried them all just to make sure I hadn't gotten a "bad" batch.

I hadn't.

Now, who's up for a good game of "cornhole"?!?! Or is it corn bag? Or corn dog? Or whatever it is they play here...poor man's horseshoes!

That Goldstar in the airport is definitely a place to avoid if you want your colon to remain intact.

As for the city itself, I've been an on-again-off-again-on-again resident for 10 years and a southern Ohio resident fo rmy entire existance. Like all cities, it has its good points and bad points.

The Hyde Park, Indian Hills and Mt Adams neighborhoods are pretty high dollar, and they are nice areas with plenty of stuff to eat and do. Mt Lookout isn't too bad either, and I've killed many a brain cell at Mt Lookout Tavern. Eastern Ave between Lunken and downtown is a bit on the frumpy looking side, but it's not a warzone. California is a little burg just south of Lunken, very small-townish. The entire stretch of Beechmont Ave and SR 32 is like a big suburban sprawl with lots of corporate drag mixed in. The Eastage and Milford/Mariemont areas are full of corporate drag and are safe enough to walk your dog in at night. I don't know much about northern KY as far as the nieghborhoods and living conditions. If you live or work within the Cincinnati city limits, be prepared to take a hit in the form of 2% city income tax.

As for stuff to do, well if you want to kill an entire evening just go to the FLight Depot at Lunken when Tom is there minding the store. That dude will talk your ear off and then some, very nice guy but he doesn't know when to shut up sometimes. :) Sky Galley is good for a burger and a beer. Lebos in California is good for the same but has a bit more of an "appalachian" crowd, and they're fanatical about karaoke. There's a B-Dub's in the Skytop Plaza right next to Lunken, and there's the golf course and driving range and bike trail going around the airport. The aforementioned areas of Beechmont, Eastgate and Milford are full of things to entertain yourself with.

Up north, you've got Sharonville, Springdale, West Chester and Union Center as another huge hub of corporate drag and stuff to eat and do (including a Dave & Buster's). The riverboats in Lawrenceburg and Rising Sun aren't too far away, and it's a bit of a hike but KY Speedway and the Belterra riverboat are additional options. There are, of course, the stadiums downtown for the Reds and the Bengals and the Cyclones (minor league hockey). There are also theaters for concerts and shows and travelling Broadway productions (saw Spamalot here a few months ago and nearly laughed myself to death).

To the northeast you've got Mason and Kings Mills, very similar areas to previously mentioned corporate drag suburbia zones. But this time you've got Kings Island and The Beach and Great Wolf Lodge as additional sources of time wasting.

Downtown, you've got Fountain Square for some more venue options, Rockbottom Brewery being one of my favorites. Beyond that, there's not much because everything is going across the river. Covington has Mainstrasse Village, a hotbed of pubs and microbrew and the site of very cool Oktoberfest and Maifest parties each year (unfortunately the big Mardi Gras shenanigans are being stamped out due to people having a little too much fun). Newport has got plenty to do including a big movie theater and a Gameworks and the aquarium. There's also a Funny Bone in Newport and a Go Bananas comedy club in Montgomery.

There are some things to be aware of here. First, the OH state highway patrol operate like a gestapo army, they have no sense of humor and no emotion whatsoever. Traffic can be hellish at best, many neighborhoods have only one thoroughfare connecting them and the road layout is rather confusing in some places. Public transportation leaves a lot to be desired. Construction on the highways is a nightmare, especially the north 275 loop. Highway traffic gets insane during the rush hours, and that's when the weather is good and there are no accidents or brokendowns. Watch out for chokepoints on the highways and suprise offramps and lane disappearances.

The infamous Over-The-Rhine neighborhood has had a long standing reputation as being a hotbed of nasty and a place to stay away from, but I guess it's starting to see improvements. Queensgate is much the same way, but without the improvement. Clifton and Corryville, near the UC campus are hit-or-miss in that aspect. Some areas are decent while others are places where you don't stop at red lights if you value your life. The social tensions that exploded all over the news in the past few years are still smouldering in some areas, but lately things have been quiet.

Overall, it's not necessarily a bad city to live in. Coming from a huge city like NYC or Chicago or LA or Miami or Dallas, you'll likely be disappointed. Things could definitely be worse here though.

AND...at Goldstar, Skyline, et al, you have to PAY EXTRA for beans and onions!!!! WTF? Isn't that normal ingredients in "chili" ?!?

Yes, it's considered a "form" of chili. Bu not a form that I'm particularly fond of. I tried them all just to make sure I hadn't gotten a "bad" batch.

I hadn't.

Now, who's up for a good game of "cornhole"?!?! Or is it corn bag? Or corn dog? Or whatever it is they play here...poor man's horseshoes!
Well, according to Skyline folks, there is NO chocolate in their receipe.

They put cinnamon (sp?) in their "sauce" (I just can't call it chili) I believe.

The original owners were Greek and bought a Chili restaurant back in the 1950's (?), tinkered with the Chili thus turning it into a sort of pasta sauce.

Good luck with moving to the Cincy area. I've been here 9 years and it's actually not a bad place to live (although I can't wait to move back to California!).

Yeah that is pretty annoying.....I guess we're probably just used to it

I hadn't.

Fair enough....at least you tried it

Just another great excuse to get so drunk you can't even see the board 25 feet away

masedogg19 said:
Just another great excuse to get so drunk you can't even see the board 25 feet away

True...think of it as portable, non-injuring horseshoes.

And although I haven't competed against him yet, I'm pretty sure I could kick massdogg's ass playing it...:D

It all just depends how much I've drank......I have a VERY fine line in my ability when I've been drinking....one sip too many and things go downhill quickly

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back