• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CVG-A real ghost town.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You think that's sad, check out STL. TWA operated hundreds of flights/day in 2001 and now AA is down to like 34.

Just shows to go you, a hub without strong O & D traffic is no hub.

I would take you to task on that, my former colleague. A hub is what the parent company wants to make of it (and what it's lack of managment competency is incapable of). My current employer, CAL, has a huge base in IAH just a few miles from LUV. Do you really think it makes money? Do you think it will ever close? I doubt DFW is that big a money maker but if that is where the B.O.D.'s and the CEO want to live then guess what, the base remains open. Much like mainline service always is maintained where company execs live while RJ's fly into airports like O'hare. But don't you forget to shut down that APU!!!! We must save money, except where it would impinge on our corporate elites.

Don't be suckered by the corporate shell game. It is all statistical manipulation with one intention, to put as much money in their pocket and as little as possible in yours. The truth of the previous statement at this point should be self-evident.

If 'Open Skies' is fully realized, we may find that such airports as FLL and LGA don't make money either since none of the exec's who will be owning our airlines will live in the US (I fully expect the US ownership law someday to be repealed by our turncoat senators and congressman) and these may not figure into their international marketing schemes.

CVG, STL, and don't forget PIT. I am still trying to figure out why PIT has retained the ramp controller and why STL has retained ground metering. I can remember waiting forever trying to break in on that damm ground metering freq in STL during the big pushes.

After driving around Detroit last week while on a layover, I would expect to see DTW slowing down. The O&D traffic must be all dried up, the town looked like a waste land.

Talked to a mid level CVG airport management type the other day. He said the sweetheart deal Delta has with the airport which basically prevents any new airline from serving CVG (deal gives Delta the same discounts airports usually use to entice new service) is going to expire in a little less than 2 years. Once that happens, hello Jetblue, SWA or Airtran. According to him anyway.
Funny, PIT has been saying that for how long?

After driving around Detroit last week while on a layover, I would expect to see DTW slowing down. The O&D traffic must be all dried up, the town looked like a waste land.

Actually no. DAL likes DTW a lot more now that they have digested NWA's traffic data. It will be built up.

CRJ567, the economy sucks, how do you expect to keep an airport like CVG open with poor yields?
They are stating they will be with 30 flights a day on mainline, cities like TPA, FLL, PBI, DFW, LAS, etc have more flights. Basically a CVG crew does one leg out and one leg in to CVG. I have not been there in two years. It is starting to make little sense to keep the pilots there. They may for peace, but it will cost them.
I am also sure you know that a hub and a pilot base are not the same thing.

Actually no. DAL likes DTW a lot more now that they have digested NWA's traffic data. It will be built up.

CRJ567, the economy sucks, how do you expect to keep an airport like CVG open with poor yields?
They are stating they will be with 30 flights a day on mainline, cities like TPA, FLL, PBI, DFW, LAS, etc have more flights. Basically a CVG crew does one leg out and one leg in to CVG. I have not been there in two years. It is starting to make little sense to keep the pilots there. They may for peace, but it will cost them.
I am also sure you know that a hub and a pilot base are not the same thing.

The economy is no excuse-oil was trading at $125 per barrel when this was filmed. Now it is half that price.

RA very specifically stated at 4:45 that "this transaction allows us to keep all of the hubs of both airlines."

CVG still exists as a "hub." It is only about 1/10th (or less) the size it was at the time of this tesimony, but it still exists. The fact that RA and Steenland so adeptly skirted around their intent and danced on the head of a pin throughout these hearings should really give you pause about the quality of leadership you now have.

If you think the crap from this video was above-board and not misleading in any way, you should have a wonderful time when your contract negotiations start up aginst these snakes. They are going to be your very bestest pals!

-Enjoy-

Latest resources

Back